Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Cobb and Gwinnett get MARTA?
Yes they will fairly soon 14 28.00%
Yes but not for a very long time 22 44.00%
No they never will 14 28.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2019, 06:28 PM
bu2

23,872 posts, read 14,652,785 times

Advertisements

And the buses were awesome in Florence. The trains were lousy in Rome and Munich. Rarely took you where you wanted to go. They were unsafe in Milan. They are filled with pickpockets in Paris. But the Tube is pretty good and the stations in Moscow are really beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 12:30 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,118,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
That's why so many people ride buses in Europe?

Its easy. You don't need to look at a schedule. You just stand on the corner and one will be there fairly shortly.

And park-n-ride buses work very well in other places. They will work well here with good HOV lanes.

What doesn't work well is buses that take 3 times as long as a car and only run every 30 minutes or an hour. Or is unreliable. Or isn't safe. The latter two apply to trains as well. And if you run a train out to the distant suburbs, the first does as well because you can't justify 10-15 minute headways for 10 riders.
Bus frequency is a chicken-or-the-egg problem.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:08 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,973,514 times
I guess everybody's experience is different. I've never heard anybody come back from Florence and comment on how great the buses were.

And I find the comment on pickpockets rather interesting. I rode the Metro all over Paris and never had a problem. I'm not saying pickpockets don't exist there, they definitely do. But one thing that I'd like to know is, how could you identify the pickpockets? Was your pocket picked?

I think of the opposite. Imagine a European riding MARTA. We're all pretty used to the characters that ride it, but I could easily imagine them telling their European friends, "MARTA is full of homeless people and criminals."

Old 05-03-2019, 08:35 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Bus frequency is a chicken-or-the-egg problem.
You need to design the routes so you get the ridership. You can't do it everywhere, but you service key corridors.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:41 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I guess everybody's experience is different. I've never heard anybody come back from Florence and comment on how great the buses were.

And I find the comment on pickpockets rather interesting. I rode the Metro all over Paris and never had a problem. I'm not saying pickpockets don't exist there, they definitely do. But one thing that I'd like to know is, how could you identify the pickpockets? Was your pocket picked?

I think of the opposite. Imagine a European riding MARTA. We're all pretty used to the characters that ride it, but I could easily imagine them telling their European friends, "MARTA is full of homeless people and criminals."
I have two family members that got pickpocketed on the Paris metro on different trips. Had a scam where a group tried to pickpocket me in Milan on the metro, but I had a handkerchief in my pocket making it difficult and my wife saw what was going on and tugged on me.

In case you are ever over there, this nice looking grey hair lady asked me a stupid question in a low voice so I had to lean over to hear her (she was asking where you got off to get to XYZ, which was the next stop). As I lean over two young guys come by and try to pick my pocket, just before leaving a stop. They bump a little and quickly get off the train at the last second so nobody could follow. She stays until the next stop with impunity because nobody could prove she was part of it. She asked me in Italian, so I don't know that I was targeted for being American.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:52 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,973,514 times
Well, I only wear goofy travel pants with zipper pockets when I travel in Europe, so they're pretty pick proof.

But my niece, like most 16 year olds, wandered around the city for a week with her fancy iPhone half sticking out of her back pocket. Of course, any pick pocket probably realized by looking at me and my brother-in-law, who's even taller and bigger, they'd be in for a very not good time if they tried to take it.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:10 AM

651 posts, read 469,211 times
Quote:

In the defense of buses people do highly commend the Seattle bus system because it really is efficient.

I get your point though and we at least need light rail expansions here.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:17 AM

651 posts, read 469,211 times
The Atlanta metro really needs to make rail expansion a priority because no one wants to sit in traffic on the bus. We can't cheap out on this.

We can then talk about changing the frequency and the right-of-way of buses to make them more desirable. Having routes that ran quickly and frequently to the rail stations ( maybe even with dedicated lanes) would be a good start in improving buses here.

Old 05-03-2019, 09:19 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,318,094 times
Quote:
And I find the comment on pickpockets rather interesting. I rode the Metro all over Paris and never had a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I have two family members that got pickpocketed on the Paris metro on different trips
I've had only two pickpocketing experiences, both with friends, during 7 years of travel around the world. One was in a desert in Israel at a camel ride place, and the other was on the Paris Metro.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:42 PM

16,633 posts, read 29,310,669 times
Will MARTA ever make to Cobb and Gwinnett?-3e95a319-938b-4ae6-b2d5-f0aef4f36698.jpeg

Former Atlanta to Marietta Trolley Line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta