Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 10:35 PM

5 posts, read 23,154 times

Advertisements

DH just got a job in Gwinnett county- more specifically in the town of Suwanee. We will be moving from the Daytona Beach area up there after we sell our house here(God only knows how long that will take). We are from NY originally, but have lived in many places(AZ, AR, Chicago, FL) and know that every place and city has good and bad and you just have to find the good. With that said....can anyone give us an idea of which towns in Gwinnett Co. are nice and practical to commute to Suwanee? We have been researching a bit online and so far Lawrenceville appeals to me. But of course you can only tell so much online. Help please!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2006, 04:32 AM

985 posts, read 5,758,218 times
Default pick school district instead

I would pick location based on school districts instead of city. In your case, I would pick either North Gwinnett or Peachtree Ridge high school district. North Gwinnett covers most of Suwanee and some of Sugar Hill and Peachtree Ridge covers part of Suwanee, part of Duluth or part of Lawrenceville. Those areas tend to be nice.

Collin Hills (part of Suwanee and part of Lawrenceville) school district have cheaper house in general, but there are some part are not so great. Don't even bother with BerkMar or Central Gwinnett part of Lawrenceville. Those schools are horriable.

Since you guys from FL, comes up and visit the GA. Drive around in a weekend and it is pretty easy to see.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:46 AM

183 posts, read 1,007,275 times
I agree...stay away from Berkmar and Lawrenceville. My son attended Berkmar before it was enlarged. Bad news! We moved when my youngest started middle school so that he would not attend Berkmar. I would look in the Hamilton Mill and Suwannee area. Hope this helps!

Old 12-19-2006, 09:58 AM

103 posts, read 327,574 times
I am also moving to Gwinnett county in fall of 07. Can you all that replied give me zip codes of the places that you recommend. I need a good HS for my son and good elementary school for my daughter. I like the Lawerenceville and Dacula areas. I am planing to visit them in the spring.

Thanks

Old 12-19-2006, 03:02 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tab1975 View Post
I am also moving to Gwinnett county in fall of 07. Can you all that replied give me zip codes of the places that you recommend. I need a good HS for my son and good elementary school for my daughter. I like the Lawerenceville and Dacula areas. I am planing to visit them in the spring.

Thanks
30019 Dacula
30011 Auburn (Gwinnett Side)

Mill Creek and Dacula.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:52 PM

985 posts, read 5,758,218 times
I know peachtree Ridge area pretty well since I almost buy a house around that area. Suwanee 30024 (Parson elementary), Lawrenceville 30043 (Jackson elementary), Duluth 30097 (mason elementary).

I actually drove one time to Hamiliton Mills and Dacula to see what's going on there. Those areas are nice but are pretty far away (at least 25 minutes to Duluth, 20 to Suwanee). You probably want to stay close to what you work. Since there are so many people move to this region, traffic is going to get worse everyday.

Old 12-20-2006, 04:58 PM

183 posts, read 1,007,275 times
Monroe zip 30655, outside city limits! Stay on the Loganville/Monroe border. Good Luck!

Old 12-20-2006, 07:48 PM

88 posts, read 511,643 times
I would recommend staying west of 85. I used to live in Lawrenceville several years ago. Although it has grown quite a bit, I would not want to live there again. There is more access to restaurants, shopping, activities if you stay west and it seems to be a little more progressive.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:30 PM

5 posts, read 23,154 times
Thanks all for your imput. Our kids are all out of the house, so the schools are not that much of an issue. Of course, I realize good resale value can depend on what schools are in your area.
We are interested in good shopping, movies, concerts, nice restaurants, etc. Also, I am a nurse, so we would like to also be near a hospital or Same Day Surgery center. What hospitals have a good rep and which ones don't?
We would like a little bit of property(more than 1/3-1/2 acre) but dont want to be "in the sticks". Maybe on a lake or river, etc. Anything like that?
Thanks in advance for your help...Susan

Old 12-21-2006, 07:02 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
I know peachtree Ridge area pretty well since I almost buy a house around that area. Suwanee 30024 (Parson elementary), Lawrenceville 30043 (Jackson elementary), Duluth 30097 (mason elementary).

I actually drove one time to Hamiliton Mills and Dacula to see what's going on there. Those areas are nice but are pretty far away (at least 25 minutes to Duluth, 20 to Suwanee). You probably want to stay close to what you work. Since there are so many people move to this region, traffic is going to get worse everyday.
Update JXU.
Since we cannot control the handing out of building permits in NE Gwinnett and Jackson County the average commute to Duluth now is 40 minutes on a good day

Did you see the other day where the state is not providing futher funds for the expansion of Rt 324 Mall of Ga nor the construction of the new exit until 2010!!!
Of course, they are still providing building permits so the seagulls can plop another 300-500 homes off of Gravel Springs Road.
For example, I had a day off yesterday and just to travel up the road to the Mall of Georgia from Dacula (Granted, it's Christmas) it took 45 minutes.

We are projecting Dacula as the next Duluth in less than 3-5 years. Only difference will be country routes remaining instead of highways like Pleasant Hill etc., thus my Seagull comment about the developers.
Like Seagulls, they fly in poooop all over everything and leave the clean-up (taxes and infrastructure) for the residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta