Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 12:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,832 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone...
We live in upstate New York area and would really like to move to the warmer climate. Good schools are very important. Johns Creek area schools look pretty good. Would really appreciate any response, would like to know the good and the bad of any surrounding areas. We are very open minded. Looking for good schools and low crime.
Thank you in advance for any feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 12:33 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,745,373 times
Where will you be working - life in Metro Atlanta can be miserable if you don't choose wisely as to what you are willing to live with as far as a commute.

Johns Creek is very nice, very suburban but can be a miserable commute if you don't work within a reasonable distance.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:39 PM

492 posts, read 527,466 times
Johns creek/Alpharetta/Milton and East Cobb areas have the best schools in the area.. You can't go wrong with any of these areas, just pick the area that is closest to work. Traffic can be very bad here.. If you can work from home or have a job where you can control the timings, then I strongly recommend Alpharetta - good schools and good bit of shopping, dining and entertainment all bundled in..

Old 05-05-2019, 01:46 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,962,159 times
Johns Creek and Alpharetta/Milton are probably the best parts of the entire metro, if you don't need to be close to the city.

If you have to commute into tow, they can be pretty awful.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:24 PM

340 posts, read 316,780 times
Any area in Johns Creek/Alpharetta/Milton is great for your needs. Each area has some of the best (if not the best) schools in the entire state. If you work in the area, it is even better since your commute will not be awful. Even though the areas are pretty similar, there are definitely unique differences. The only place i am not as familiar with is Johns Creek

Milton- the most expensive of the three, minimum lot sizes of 1 acre, focused more on residential, least amount of traffic of the three.

Alpharetta- also expensive, has a lot of commercial and residential, a lot of shopping and places to eat with Northpoint Mall, Avalon, DT Alpharetta, has a ton of jobs

Old 05-05-2019, 03:03 PM

492 posts, read 527,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
Any area in Johns Creek/Alpharetta/Milton is great for your needs. Each area has some of the best (if not the best) schools in the entire state. If you work in the area, it is even better since your commute will not be awful. Even though the areas are pretty similar, there are definitely unique differences. The only place i am not as familiar with is Johns Creek

Milton- the most expensive of the three, minimum lot sizes of 1 acre, focused more on residential, least amount of traffic of the three.

Alpharetta- also expensive, has a lot of commercial and residential, a lot of shopping and places to eat with Northpoint Mall, Avalon, DT Alpharetta, has a ton of jobs
I would say Johns creek is not that different from Milton except that the lot sizes are smaller and it is more densely populated compared to Milton. Also Johns Creek is around 50% Asian compared to Alpharetta(20-25%) and Milton(10 to 15%). I would say out of the three, Alpharetta offers the most - jobs, shopping, dining and entertainment with safety and good schools.

Also most parts of Alpharetta are closer to 400 compared to Milton or Johns Creek. The commute from Johns Creek to 400 or I85 can take a long time which was a deal breaker for us when we looked into moving into the area.. Same with parts of Milton..

Old 05-05-2019, 04:55 PM

16,626 posts, read 29,278,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Johns Creek and Alpharetta/Milton are probably the best parts of the entire metro, if you don't need to be close to the city.

If you have to commute into tow, they can be pretty awful.
Better than East Cobb???

Old 05-05-2019, 07:15 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,962,159 times
I like those areas a lot more than East Cobb.

But that's just personal choice. They're not inherently better and I wouldn't argue with someone who like East Cobb just as much.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:31 PM

290 posts, read 362,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAtlanta View Post
I would say Johns creek is not that different from Milton except that the lot sizes are smaller and it is more densely populated compared to Milton. Also Johns Creek is around 50% Asian compared to Alpharetta(20-25%) and Milton(10 to 15%). I would say out of the three, Alpharetta offers the most - jobs, shopping, dining and entertainment with safety and good schools.

Also most parts of Alpharetta are closer to 400 compared to Milton or Johns Creek. The commute from Johns Creek to 400 or I85 can take a long time which was a deal breaker for us when we looked into moving into the area.. Same with parts of Milton..
Johns Creek is not 50% Asian. However the schools are more than 50% Asian particularly in the Northview cluster (ranging from 53-60% Asian and growing rapidly) east of Medlock Bridge. Other areas of North Fulton also have schools that are over 50% Asian such as Creek View in Alpharetta.

Also the reason that the schools are ranked so highly in Johns Creek especially Northview is not because the teaching is different then any other school in the area but it is because of over achieving mainly Asian students that take several tutoring classes and are very focused on academics. The tutoring/extra math classes start at the elementary school level.

Also the courses at Northview are taught at a much higher level and more rigorous than other high schools in the area particularly honors and AP courses. The schools in Johns Creek especially Northview/River Trail are considered extremely competitive. The competitiveness starts in middle school.

There are no dangerous areas in North Fulton, all the neighborhoods are very safe.

Last edited by ATLForr; 05-05-2019 at 07:42 PM..

Old 05-05-2019, 07:51 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,507,354 times
Johns Creek has been named by the Wall Street Journal as one of the best places in America to live.

As far as schools, I'd tell your kids to buckle their chinstraps. If they can make it in Johns Creek they can make it anywhere.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta