Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 12:30 PM

23,299 posts, read 43,744,365 times

Advertisements

Reminds me of my daughter, who years ago was conversing with a would-be suitor that was quite full of himself. He told her in a rather smug tone that he had attended Walton High School.
"Oh," she replied, "I hear it's an excellent public institution."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 12:39 PM

6,495 posts, read 6,066,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Reminds me of my daughter, who years ago was conversing with a would-be suitor that was quite full of himself. He told her in a rather smug tone that he had attended Walton High School.
Haters gonna hate.

Old 05-16-2019, 12:45 PM

3,710 posts, read 3,623,110 times
Quote:
now better known as "Walton University" with their recent addition!

But more seriously, we live in East Cobb and we also don't find people to be snobby or unfriendly. Maybe a bit sheltered, but not snobby. Honestly, I think there is a general loose correlation between house price and snobbiness. Not a perfect correlation, but a general one.

All those new walled in neighborhoods with homes starting in the 900's, yeah, I never see those people conversing with one another or playing outside. But go to the neighborhoods with homes in the $300k-$500K range (and there are plenty) and I see much more friendly interaction in general. All our neighbors are generally congregate around school or neighborhood related functions (bus stop, swim team, etc.). I generally find my interactions in the local establishments to be friendly as well. The cashiers all want to have a conversation, the guy at trader joes always insists on loading my minivan when I have my 2 kids in tow, etc.

Agreed that it's probably less snobby as you get closer to the square, but that's more a function of the house prices being lower out that way, and less about "the people of East Cobb" I think?

Old 05-16-2019, 12:56 PM

651 posts, read 468,289 times
Quote:
It is my opinion that the perception of an entire community as 'snobby' is a projection of one's own social insecurities, anyway.
No shortage of that in the Northern Arc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2atl View Post
Same here. Been in East Cobb 3 years, haven’t seen the snobbery.

Jackson’s Creek is laid back and friendly and proud of it. I’m sure there are plenty of others. No offense, Internet stranger, but I can’t help wonder if your issues are emanating from within rather than from your neighbors. Maybe grab a cold one at Suburban Tap and meet some chill east Cobb folks?

Yall, OP said she wasn't broke and had an nice home. It's a weird assumption that people with money must be ok with snobs or they are really just broke and jealous.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:20 PM

562 posts, read 1,783,588 times
Agree with some posters, try the mixed neighborhoods in terms of price (we live in Highland Pointe- with a mix of homes from 300K-1million. Swim/tennis and quarterly social events. I have found that with the more upscale neighborhoods- there typically isnt too much community things going on as people have their own pools, and are typically a little older so arent bonding over kid stuff (we have easter egg hunts, santa at the clubhouse, etc), have a group of friends already, etc. so are generally just less social.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:54 PM

23,299 posts, read 43,744,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
Yall, OP said she wasn't broke and had an nice home. It's a weird assumption that people with money must be ok with snobs or they are really just broke and jealous.
Assuming that said snobs actually exist, perhaps. Otherwise, it is Boogeyman logic.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:56 PM

748 posts, read 332,187 times
Quote:
Our family has lived in East Cobb for a few years and are looking for a family friendly neighborhood with swim and tennis. I’m a Midwesterner and am pretty astounded by the level of snobiness I’ve encountered since living here. Not in terms of snobiness of appreciating and liking nice things (which I do, whereas my husband makes a very good living and we live in a nice area), but in terms of people not being friendly, authentic and acting like they are better than everyone else. I have lived in other very affluent areas outside of Georgia and have never come across such a degree of snobiness. We were told to buy in East Cobb because of the schools, which is understandable, but are there areas or neighborhoods that are not as snobby? We want a good family neighborhood where we can raise our kids and get to know other families. Are areas in Roswell or Alpharetta better?

I can't speak for East Cobb, but there are plenty of good areas in South Cobb and with much greater access to the city, the airport, and more.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:42 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,298,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
now better known as "Walton University" with their recent addition!

But more seriously, we live in East Cobb and we also don't find people to be snobby or unfriendly. Maybe a bit sheltered, but not snobby. Honestly, I think there is a general loose correlation between house price and snobbiness. Not a perfect correlation, but a general one.

All those new walled in neighborhoods with homes starting in the 900's, yeah, I never see those people conversing with one another or playing outside. But go to the neighborhoods with homes in the $300k-$500K range (and there are plenty) and I see much more friendly interaction in general. All our neighbors are generally congregate around school or neighborhood related functions (bus stop, swim team, etc.). I generally find my interactions in the local establishments to be friendly as well. The cashiers all want to have a conversation, the guy at trader joes always insists on loading my minivan when I have my 2 kids in tow, etc.

Agreed that it's probably less snobby as you get closer to the square, but that's more a function of the house prices being lower out that way, and less about "the people of East Cobb" I think?
I actually think it's probably due more to the way the neighborhoods near the Square are constructed and configured: houses pretty close together, most with front porches that encourage socializing, sidewalks, opportunities to stroll to the Square and be social with your neighbors... There's lots of expensive real estate near the Square (most newer construction is going to run anywhere from $400k to 700k), but it's a convivial environment that attracts people who actually seek out interactions with other people. Our evening walks are often only half as long as they could be, distance-wise, because we end up doing so many stop-and-chats...

I like East Cobb just fine, but it's certainly built in a more insular fashion, making social interactions a bit less automatic and spontaneous.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:20 PM

356 posts, read 313,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
Huh? Sorry, I’m confused. I’m not guessing money has anything to do with it. I was guessing social stuff - whatever it might be in the range of issues connecting with or meeting people. Anyway, suppose it was rude of me to guess out loud like that.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:30 AM

834 posts, read 1,002,928 times
OP has clearly never been to places like NY and NJ and CA where most people in Atlanta are from now..

This is another case of -I got what I asked for and I don't like it-..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta