U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 07:12 AM
bu2

9,969 posts, read 6,422,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
My thing about the HOT lanes specifically is that for the dollar amount, the impact will overall be negligible, we are fighting decades and decades of infrastructural neglect. The only thing that will really help I-285 is a outer bypass that is strictly controlled in zoning and exits as not to cause further sprawl while providing thru traffic a way around Atlanta without getting too close to the core... but in reality unless something drastic happens, it isnt going to happen... MAYBE...and I mean just MAYBE we will eventually see another highway built out west to form a crescent around Atlanta for trucks and it would be built pretty far out too... otherwise Atlanta's only hope at this point is promoting transit ridership. Given they are unable to FEASIBLY or REALISTICALLY design the infrastructure needed, the next solution is to move people in other ways outside of driving.

I get that you want to see a highway system like DFW in Atlanta but I'm looking at this realistically, it just isnt going to happen. Too many people will oppose it, too much property would have to be confiscated and in general the mindset for that kind of system just isnt in this region.

You see the HOT lanes may help I-285 slightly but what about the rest of the metro or what happens when you get off I-285, or if you never use it to begin with. What I'm trying to get at is, these managed lanes on solve a small scope of issues and are in no way close to a fix especially without the lack of feasible alternatives and this is why I feel MARTA should be prioritized, to serve as a feasible means of commuting outside of driving.
MARTA will still only serve a limited % of the population no matter how much we spend (of course if Uncle Sam dropped 100 billion it might make a difference-but I'm talking expenditures that are even possible).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or