Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 07:33 AM

681 posts, read 1,045,680 times

Advertisements

Funny, I'm from Georgia, raised in a small town, currently living in the PNW, Seattle. Currently I'm 10 minutes from where I work at SeaTac airport so traffic isn't an issue, though housing is unaffordable even on my 50k/yr income, and I'm forced to share a house with others, can't even afford a 1bed 1 bath apartment out here, my family is back in Georgia and actually I'm in GA right now on vacation visiting, I'm considering moving back, I'm narrowed between Atlanta and Augusta, honestly having been exposed to Seattle and the big city life has spoiled me and I fear Augusta won't be enough to satisfy me, Atlanta is a nicer option, though like some have stated, crime is an issue, though Seattle is quickly catching up to Atlanta with daily shootings, homeless on every corner, horrible traffic and high cost of living, though it is SOOOO beautiful in the PNW! I love being able to see the mountains when they are visible, going out into the forest and the west coast ocean shores...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 02:36 PM

439 posts, read 423,452 times
Are you in Tukwila? Go back home to GA- the vagrant issues are only going to worsen But I am biased! I won't miss the mountains- at least for a while.

Old 05-28-2019, 03:13 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Lmao. Tacoma is not dangerous bro. You’re literally the only person I’ve ever heard say that. And to put Tacoma crime in the same boat as Atlanta is funny, to put it in the same boat as crime in Gary is down right hilarious. Tacoma looked like a poor run down version of Seattle, that’s about it. Stop giving that lady bad advice.
When did you live in Tacoma? It historically for quite some time did rank as the nations second most dangerous city, and it's pretty well known as well. It currently doesn't today as they stepped up enforcement but it's still no place to be foolhardy.

Most of Atlanta is a paradise in comparison to Tacoma crime wise.

Its littered with drug addicts and dealers, ex-military personel who aren't quite right in the head and have access to weaponry, shootouts and homeless on every corner, and I personally have had two bad encounters while living there. One of which attempted to break into my car while I was still inside of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fassopony View Post
Are you in Tukwila? Go back home to GA- the vagrant issues are only going to worsen But I am biased! I won't miss the mountains- at least for a while.
I do miss to beautiful scenery offered by the PNW and Cascades, nothing and I mean nothing in this country compares to the mountains and nature seen there. It did not feel like America. Here and there I toy around with the idea of going back but $700 - $800k to own a home there deturs me.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 05-28-2019 at 03:26 PM..

Old 05-28-2019, 04:26 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,101,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
When did you live in Tacoma? It historically for quite some time did rank as the nations second most dangerous city, and it's pretty well known as well. It currently doesn't today as they stepped up enforcement but it's still no place to be foolhardy.

Most of Atlanta is a paradise in comparison to Tacoma crime wise.

Its littered with drug addicts and dealers, ex-military personel who aren't quite right in the head and have access to weaponry, shootouts and homeless on every corner, and I personally have had two bad encounters while living there. One of which attempted to break into my car while I was still inside of it.

Could say the same for you, don't you live in Hiram? Bro you don't know my city, your perspective is that of someone driving thru the hood on your way 45 minutes back out to your area. You know about far out West Metro Atlanta, you don't know Atlanta, so again, stop acting like it. Stick to what you know bro.

And I've been to Seattle and Tacoma, my lady friend is from Lakewood, went out there with her not even 5 months ago. And that Hilltop place you and the OP are talking about looked a lot more like a 90's-early 2000's version of L5P. A hipster, quirky area that's clearly gentrifiying with some drug addicts here and there. That place didn't look hood at all, it just looked lower income. And the amount of drug addicts I saw in Tacoma wasn't any where near what I saw growing up in Zone 1. And just for kicks and giggles last night when I saw you say that Tacoma was rough I went and looked up stats, and on no metric does Tacoma come anywhere near to the crime levels in Atlanta, or even Dekalb County or Clayton County. I just looked at it again, the zip codes I grew up in on the Westside (30318 and 30314) have more murders by themselves than the whole city of Tacoma. And thats not even thouching the rest of the westside, South Dekalb, and the parts of the Southside that are rough. The violent crime rate is almost 3 times herein metro ATL what it is out there, and you on here giving bad advice about to lull people who don't know any better into a false sense of security.

You lost all credibility for this debate when you put Gary Indiana and Tacoma in the same sentence in regards to crime. Like seriously bro???

Old 05-28-2019, 04:35 PM

Yeah I haven't mentioned hilltop LOL!! I'm from the Southside which is frequently on COPS, Pac Ave. And no ones cares about Lakewood-it's all military, overpriced lake front homes, and low rent apartments.

FYI- you're the only one looking to debate. No one else is interested. Got it?

Thanks to all who answered about my interest in Atlanta, I appreciate the info as well as talking about T Town.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Could say the same for you, don't you live in Hiram? Bro you don't know my city, your perspective is that of someone driving thru the hood on your way 45 minutes back out to your area. You know about far out West Metro Atlanta, you don't know Atlanta, so again, stop acting like it. Stick to what you know bro.

And I've been to Seattle and Tacoma, my lady friend is from Lakewood, went out there with her not even 5 months ago. And that Hilltop place you and the OP are talking about looked a lot more like a 90's-early 2000's version of L5P. A hipster, quirky area that's clearly gentrifiying with some drug addicts here and there. That place didn't look hood at all, it just looked lower income. And the amount of drug addicts I saw in Tacoma wasn't any where near what I saw growing up in Zone 1. And just for kicks and giggles last night when I saw you say that Tacoma was rough I went and looked up stats, and on no metric does Tacoma come anywhere near to the crime levels in Atlanta, or even Dekalb County or Clayton County. I just looked at it again, the zip codes I grew up in on the Westside (30318 and 30314) have more murders by themselves than the whole city of Tacoma. And thats not even thouching the rest of the westside, South Dekalb, and the parts of the Southside that are rough. The violent crime rate is almost 3 times herein metro ATL what it is out there, and you on here giving bad advice about to lull people who don't know any better into a false sense of security.

You lost all credibility for this debate when you put Gary Indiana and Tacoma in the same sentence in regards to crime. Like seriously bro???
Um.

Dude.

I lived in Tacoma WA for 2 years between 2011 and 2013 before moving back to Atlanta right atop J street near Hilltop and also - in my stay in Atlanta metro, I've never once lived in Hiram. I lived in Atlanta between 2013 and when I left for Austin TX in 2018, I've lived in Cobb and Gwinnett. I currently live in Austin TX.

And yes, visiting Tacoma is alot different than living there. It was at one period very comparable to Gary, especially Hilltop. It has majorly cleaned up since that period however Tacoma would EASILY outclass west Atlanta in terms of crime.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:38 PM

My church is at 21st and J! One thing I'll miss.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Um.

Dude.

I lived in Tacoma WA for 2 years between 2011 and 2013 before moving back to Atlanta right atop J street near Hilltop and also - in my stay in Atlanta metro, I've never once lived in Hiram. I lived in Atlanta between 2013 and when I left for Austin TX in 2018, I've lived in Cobb and Gwinnett. I currently live in Austin TX.

And yes, visiting Tacoma is alot different than living there. It was at one period very comparable to Gary, especially Hilltop. It has majorly cleaned up since that period however Tacoma would EASILY outclass west Atlanta in terms of crime.
Dude, I'm not about to sit here and go back and forth with you. Here go some figures to chew on

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...a-Georgia.html

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...ashington.html

That's from the very website that we are on now. This tells a much different picture than the one you are trying to paint, in fact it looks like the exact opposite of what you claim is true. By this Tacoma looks down right Mayberry safe compared to Atlanta. And that's just COA Atlanta. I'm pretty sure Dekalb County numbers would be worse than COA, we all know Dekalb has taken the crime crown away from COA recently.

And comparable to Gary? Are you serious? I'm aware you're familiar with NWi, but what part did you go to? Like for real. I'm not about buy that a city with a population of 200K that averages 15-30 homicides a year is anywhere near a city not even 100K that averages at least 3 times that on a GOOD year. Dude Gary is a punchline to most people on here, but to me its the city I have family in and currently conduct business in as well. I'm very familiar with Gary, and in no way shape of form now in 2019 or back in the day was Tacoma ever anywhere near Gary's level. Dude if you call 911 on Saturday in Gary because someone broke in your house the police won't even come until Tuesday, not even joking. That's how bad it is. And you're really trying to compare that to Tacoma? That's utterly ridiculous and it sounds downright green AF and naive when its on the back end of advice to someone who is moving to the area.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fassopony View Post
Yeah I haven't mentioned hilltop LOL!! I'm from the Southside which is frequently on COPS, Pac Ave. And no ones cares about Lakewood-it's all military, overpriced lake front homes, and low rent apartments.

FYI- you're the only one looking to debate. No one else is interested. Got it?

Thanks to all who answered about my interest in Atlanta, I appreciate the info as well as talking about T Town.
LMAO. I didn't even quote you intially. So how am I looking to debate? I simply responded to some mis-information, looks like you're the one with the issue here.

And I could care less about Lakewood being in or not, but you felt the need to tell me so thanks I guess. LOL

Old 05-28-2019, 09:19 PM

You're going by numbers, I'm going by actually having lived in both cities. You barely saw it for 2 weeks. You dont need to go back and forth with me. You have no tangible evidence having never experienced it and both myself and the OP have lived there...and I personally have also lived in Highland Indiana which is fairly close to Gary. Tacoma is much worse than Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta