Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 08:03 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,652 times

Advertisements

The original article asked for reader's solutions to the problem. They received over 300 responses, wonder if anyone on this forum made it to the article? I see at least one wonderful "WE FULL" was provided as the solution to the problem. Also there's no such thing as our world-class traffic. The AJC makes it seem like it's something to be proud of and boast about. Having traffic alone doesn't make you a world class city. Especially when our traffic problems show the opposite a bunch of people with backwoods mindset that have no idea how to do world class planning. On a good note, a lot of the people that emailed in were very open to significant investment in transit. I'm hoping this is representative of the metro population in general but maybe I'm being too optimistic.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/commuting/a...Rjj60BzWLU17L/

A lot of folks talk about the weather or high school sports. But we in metro Atlanta have another favorite subject: our world-class traffic mess.

Earlier this week, we asked how you’d fix Atlanta traffic if you could wave a magic wand. Oh, boy, did you want to talk.

We received about 330 emailed responses within a few days – some short and to the point, others lengthy and detailed. Others shared their thoughts on social media. Clearly, a lot of people wish they had a magic wand.

We’re still reading all the responses, but some common themes have emerged. Expanding MARTA, building another interstate bypass and encouraging telework and flexible work schedules are all popular ideas. Widening existing roads, better traffic enforcement and encouraging more dense, urban-style development also have plenty of support. A few folks would simply use their magic wand to make a lot of people and vehicles disappear. The most entertaining solution so far? Ziplines!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 09:02 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
I don't know how old most of the posters here are.

But Atlanta's traffic has been legendary since at least the early 80s.

The attitude of "all cities have traffic" seems to have replaced the old mentality of "our traffic proves we're a real city!"

However, both attitudes are counter-productive to actually solving the problem. That's why it has done nothing but get worse. Which it will continue to do. Eventually, it will either destroy the city, or at least inhibit it from growing any further. That will be within our lifetimes.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:08 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I don't know how old most of the posters here are.

But Atlanta's traffic has been legendary since at least the early 80s.

The attitude of "all cities have traffic" seems to have replaced the old mentality of "our traffic proves we're a real city!"

However, both attitudes are counter-productive to actually solving the problem. That's why it has done nothing but get worse. Which it will continue to do. Eventually, it will either destroy the city, or at least inhibit it from growing any further. That will be within our lifetimes.
I'm 33 and I came to the Atlanta area during the mid 1990s. I don't know much about Atlanta metro from the 1980s other than it was alot smaller. I wasn't here, and I was born in the 80s.

I have always wondered what it would take for the Atlanta area to get its stuff together and actually function right. The region functions like warring city-states.

Last edited by green_mariner; 06-13-2019 at 09:46 AM..

Old 06-13-2019, 09:30 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Nothing significant will happen until political tides truly change and the fiefdoms of Atlanta metro realize we’re all in this together. In addition, the NIMBYS will also need to quiet down.
I’m not sure the latter will ever happen, but the first two will be hard enough. Sure, it’s possible though.
Atlanta NEEDS a second perimeter. I also wish that somehow, some way, 675 was connected to 400 like it was originally planned, though without so much disruption to the areas in between. Another east-west limited access is also needed inside the perimeter where Ponce de Leon is. (Some May argue against it for obvious reasons, but it’s still needed in addition to transit there)
Finish 316 to Athens. Build a western interstate linking Chattanooga metro with Rome, Carrollton, LaGrange and Columbus. Rebuild each major interchange around 285 (already in planning)
As for transit, I truly wish MARTA had an express service throughout its entire system. Impossible without investing trillions of dollars in the system, but any new construction should have that in place. No BRT along the top end, but HRT which should circle the perimeter. High speed rail should be put in place from Birmingham in the west, Macon in the south, Chattanooga to the north, Greenville to the northeast including Athens and Augusta to the east.

These are just a few pipe dreams (and some realistic thoughts) I have.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:35 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,972,542 times
Atlanta’s urban neighborhoods are truly gems not to be touched, but those more dense areas like Decatur, Brookhaven, Chamblee and so on need to continue to increase their density.

It would be nice to see a mid or even high rise condo take shape in one of those places or even East Point or College Park outside the flight paths of HJAIA.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:54 AM

11,794 posts, read 8,008,183 times
I will just say blowing off $17 Billion in toll lanes will do next to nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Nothing significant will happen until political tides truly change and the fiefdoms of Atlanta metro realize we’re all in this together. In addition, the NIMBYS will also need to quiet down.
I’m not sure the latter will ever happen, but the first two will be hard enough. Sure, it’s possible though.
Atlanta NEEDS a second perimeter. I also wish that somehow, some way, 675 was connected to 400 like it was originally planned, though without so much disruption to the areas in between. Another east-west limited access is also needed inside the perimeter where Ponce de Leon is. (Some May argue against it for obvious reasons, but it’s still needed in addition to transit there)
Finish 316 to Athens. Build a western interstate linking Chattanooga metro with Rome, Carrollton, LaGrange and Columbus. Rebuild each major interchange around 285 (already in planning)
As for transit, I truly wish MARTA had an express service throughout its entire system. Impossible without investing trillions of dollars in the system, but any new construction should have that in place. No BRT along the top end, but HRT which should circle the perimeter. High speed rail should be put in place from Birmingham in the west, Macon in the south, Chattanooga to the north, Greenville to the northeast including Athens and Augusta to the east.

These are just a few pipe dreams (and some realistic thoughts) I have.
Based on what I've read and what I've learned from other people, there has long been an aversion towards Atlanta. Several places in the region function like fiefdoms because they don't really want to be part of the region. This is my hypothesis. Many communities in the region were rural up to the 1970s. Some places were even more rural up to the 1990s (like Paulding County). A combination of flight from the city (and inner-ring suburbs) and people from other states moving to the Atlanta area, many places grew very fast. The region probably had communities functioning like little fiefdoms back then. However, I think the rapid growth of the region has exposed some of this. It has also drawn many places into the metro Atlanta region that preferred to keep Atlanta at a distance. My hypothesis, my guess, is that many places keep resisting despite the changes that have taken place.

And MARTA is a whole other bag of issues all its own. That goes back to the beginning. There was a hatred towards it in the beginning because the idea was "great, now the Blacks from Atlanta can come out here". The irony is that Black people with their own cars were able to get to alot of suburban areas via other parts of the USA. And there is still a stigma towards MARTA. MARTA rail isn't functioning properly. It needs some investment infused. It needs new track, new trains, and some expansion is needed. However, there are some individuals who would rather put up with the traffic than have MARTA go to their county.

The whole "we're in this together" doesn't seem to be the motto in the region. I don't think it ever has been. That's just my opinion.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:50 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Atlanta’s urban neighborhoods are truly gems not to be touched, but those more dense areas like Decatur, Brookhaven, Chamblee and so on need to continue to increase their density.

It would be nice to see a mid or even high rise condo take shape in one of those places or even East Point or College Park outside the flight paths of HJAIA.
The Atlanta City Design categorizes conservation areas and growth areas, to preserve our existing intown, SFH neighborhoods.
Quote:
MARTA rail isn't functioning properly. It needs some investment infused. It needs new track, new trains, and some expansion is needed. However, there are some individuals who would rather put up with the traffic than have MARTA go to their county.
MARTA has done track replacement through out the years. New trains are coming next decade. Expansion w/in City of Atlanta has local funding.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
MARTA has done track replacement through out the years. New trains are coming next decade. Expansion w/in City of Atlanta has local funding.
I'm not trying to be rude. I have to say this though. Next decade is too long to wait. And whatever track has been replaced, it's still a bumpy ride to work. Next decade is not good enough for me. I'm worried about TODAY, THIS YEAR.

And I don't live in Atlanta proper. I'm about 32 miles away(and only because it's cheap). I get into Atlanta because of GRTA buses.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:18 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm not trying to be rude. I have to say this though. Next decade is too long to wait. And whatever track has been replaced, it's still a bumpy ride to work. Next decade is not good enough for me. I'm worried about TODAY, THIS YEAR.

And I don't live in Atlanta proper. I'm about 32 miles away(and only because it's cheap). I get into Atlanta because of GRTA buses.
Apparently capital improvements of that scale can happen instantaneously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta