Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 11:45 AM

3,655 posts, read 3,900,696 times

Advertisements

Here is the info that was given out.

I'll elaborate more later.

IMG_0438 by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

IMG_0439 by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

IMG_0436 by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

IMG_0437 by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

IMG_0440 by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

IMG_0441 by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 05:25 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,283,520 times
Just as long as the state dont build this monstrosity on I-20 in Dekalb towards Lithonia without giving the Dekalb county citizens their long-promised MARTA train station first.

Old 06-29-2019, 09:37 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,172,465 times
They need to convert the existing ITP I-75 and I-85 HOV lanes into Peach Pass/HOT. That would be an easy, quick win.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:08 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,316,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
They need to convert the existing ITP I-75 and I-85 HOV lanes into Peach Pass/HOT. That would be an easy, quick win.
As much as I want to not agree with you, that might make my current commute much faster. If only there was an HOV exit from 85S to 75N.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:17 PM

11,666 posts, read 7,803,101 times
Didn't know that they were going to reconstruct the I-20 interchanges on both ends, any details on that? those have been LONG needed.

I saw the widening on I-85, looks nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Just as long as the state dont build this monstrosity on I-20 in Dekalb towards Lithonia without giving the Dekalb county citizens their long-promised MARTA train station first.
Good luck on that one.

They seem to intend on covering the metro with these lanes.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 06-29-2019 at 10:29 PM..

Old 06-29-2019, 11:56 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,667,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Didn't know that they were going to reconstruct the I-20 interchanges on both ends, any details on that? those have been LONG needed.
Major Mobility Investment Program

Old 06-30-2019, 12:07 AM

Aren't the individual towns in the path of proposed MARTA lines the ones who make the decision about Marta.

I've always had and still do after the open house that GDOT sort of works in a vacuum, and they seem to do things their way which is a little different and less standardized like the rest of the country.

The GDOT employees were younger than I expected, and they came from departments such as design, project management, field and a few other s I don't remember.

They seemed very proud of all the stuff they have going on, were asking me and others what we thought of the Express Lanes, etc.

The reason I went with my own handouts that I gave to everyone who would accept them, is to make the plea for less clutter since they're cramming everything into existing right of way.

And what would help the most is to stop the asinine practice of holding up single overhead signs with a truss gantry spanning America's widest freeways that's supported with two poles on each side of the highway.

It should be either on cantilvered or raised pedestal supports which cost less than half of these $80K trusses straddling the roadway, and looks better from less obstrcution of the sky and surroundings.

Many chuckled when I made my plea to each of them, but's it's a big deal with how ugly they are making our freeways. No other state or country in the world has abandoned the use of cantilevered sign supports except Georgia, and it looks ridicuilous all ove the state where they do this.

My 2nd and 3rd requess were to correct the leaning on these overhead sign supports because only abut 20% look visually level and the rest are noticably leaning down to the left or the right like something from the tv show Hee-Haw.

And to regularly pick up the trash along I-20 and all other interstates as outsiders judge Georgia's appearance as a whole, not like GDOT intends neglecting the minority parts of town while funneling resources to the affluent areas only.

How country bumpkin-looking is it when infrastructure cannot be installed without being crooked? It reaks of rural ineptitude.

Did anyone notice that the GA400 interchange isn't shown in the graphic at least as being part of this mobility endeavor?

I had a long conversation with a GDOT employee who was a native but said he rather return to Austin, Texas if he could.

He was all gushy about Texas' infrastructue but agreed with me when I said that Texas is never going to have enough money to maintain all their roads for the duration of their service life.

My handiout which I will post a photo of asked them to look at Virginia's gorgeous I-95 Express Lanes for inspiration.

And I also recommended they learn how other DOTs operate and see what could work for them.

Last edited by architect77; 06-30-2019 at 12:21 AM..

Old 06-30-2019, 12:14 AM

here are the two pages I handed out:

IMG_0417 by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

IMG_0418 by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

Old 06-30-2019, 06:18 AM

11,666 posts, read 7,803,101 times
$11 + billion dollars, losses of property, negligible affect on traffic overall, no improvements to mass transit in the metro for decades and the only thing this guy is concerned about is cantilevers and gantries.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:03 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,283,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
$11 + billion dollars, losses of property, negligible affect on traffic overall, no improvements to mass transit in the metro for decades and the only thing this guy is concerned about is cantilevers and gantries.
Think of it this way: if that's what it takes to get the transportation conversation started, what's the harm?

That's what segues are for, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta