U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 08:00 AM

1,048 posts, read 676,435 times

Advertisements

OP, I offer but a word of warning from a person who has been in a very similar position.

You need to consider schools more than your posts here seem to be.

We moved to a place we LOVED in our 30's, shortly after started having kids and realized what had been our paradise was hades for raising kids.

SCHOOLS SCHOOLS SCHOOLS. Have a plan. Even now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 09:14 AM

104 posts, read 39,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambdaepsilon View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply! The last time I went by Bankhead it looked like a really shady area? Have things changed? I'll be going around the area tomorrow to see whats up.
I would definitely say it's not for the feint of heart. A lot of the houses have been bought by developers at this point who are just sitting on vacancy so they can renovate in a couple years once construction on the Beltline begins, Quarry Yards gets more established, and the Westside Reservoir Park fills out. More than likely the biggest issue you would personally come in contact with is a broken car window, but it's definitely still a little seedy. You'd get great return on investment 10 years down the line but amenities will be lacking for the next couple years.

I personally wouldn't be too concerned about schools and the deals are to be had where people perceive schools as bad. No, they are not bad schools. They score lower on standardized test scores which has direct correlation with median household income, and yes, median household income in Bankhead is far lower than East Cobb. It doesn't mean your child is going to become a heroin addict and drop out at age 14. Heck, median income in the school district cqholt linked is rising extremely fast right now (my property taxes, which are sitting in front of me right now, went up 15% this year) so I would presume those schools will be "perceived as good schools" by the time your future children are entering school age. They have all the AP classes that Cobb schools offer and practically pipeline kids to Georgia Tech and UGA on full tuition scholarships every year. Personally, based on your 4 neighborhood asks - I think Summerhill is a slam dunk for a decent price.

Last edited by ATLUTD; 07-08-2019 at 09:35 AM..

Old 07-08-2019, 03:13 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,919,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLUTD View Post
I would definitely say it's not for the feint of heart. A lot of the houses have been bought by developers at this point who are just sitting on vacancy so they can renovate in a couple years once construction on the Beltline begins, Quarry Yards gets more established, and the Westside Reservoir Park fills out. More than likely the biggest issue you would personally come in contact with is a broken car window, but it's definitely still a little seedy. You'd get great return on investment 10 years down the line but amenities will be lacking for the next couple years.

I personally wouldn't be too concerned about schools and the deals are to be had where people perceive schools as bad. No, they are not bad schools. They score lower on standardized test scores which has direct correlation with median household income, and yes, median household income in Bankhead is far lower than East Cobb. It doesn't mean your child is going to become a heroin addict and drop out at age 14. Heck, median income in the school district cqholt linked is rising extremely fast right now (my property taxes, which are sitting in front of me right now, went up 15% this year) so I would presume those schools will be "perceived as good schools" by the time your future children are entering school age. They have all the AP classes that Cobb schools offer and practically pipeline kids to Georgia Tech and UGA on full tuition scholarships every year. Personally, based on your 4 neighborhood asks - I think Summerhill is a slam dunk for a decent price.
Spot on

Old 07-09-2019, 06:37 AM

3,816 posts, read 2,244,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2atl View Post
Maybe Roswell? Canton street has a bit of a VaHi vibe.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I was over there on a recent Sunday afternoon and the sidewalk tables and such were packed with 30-somethings.

Old 07-09-2019, 06:44 AM

2,326 posts, read 2,501,962 times
Dunwoody

Old 07-09-2019, 07:01 AM

2,142 posts, read 2,220,140 times
Quote:

Ok, Maynard Jackson High School is definitely improving, and there are students there who are excelling, however to say that it has all the AP classes that Cobb Schools offer is just. not. true. According to collegesimply.com, for example, Walton High School in Cobb offers 28 AP classes. Jackson High offers 8 AP classes. Walton's AP pass rate is 94%. Jackson's AP pass rate is 5%.

I live in the city of Atlanta, and I certainly hope that Jackson High improves but let's not mislead people. It in no way compares to the high schools in East Cobb in terms of offerings or student achievement.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:20 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,919,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
Ok, Maynard Jackson High School is definitely improving, and there are students there who are excelling, however to say that it has all the AP classes that Cobb Schools offer is just. not. true. According to collegesimply.com, for example, Walton High School in Cobb offers 28 AP classes. Jackson High offers 8 AP classes. Walton's AP pass rate is 94%. Jackson's AP pass rate is 5%.

I live in the city of Atlanta, and I certainly hope that Jackson High improves but let's not mislead people. It in no way compares to the high schools in East Cobb in terms of offerings or student achievement.
Well, according to the Maynard Jackson AP website, they offer 13 AP classes. And I know they recently added AP Government and AP Computer Science taught by an instructor from Ga Tech. So that looks like 15 in all.

https://maynardjacksonib.wixsite.com/apcourses

Secondly, Jackson is an IB school, which offers IB courses comparable to, and in some cases more rigorous than certain AP classes. And it appears they offer 13 of those.

https://maynardjacksonib.wixsite.com/mjhsib

So we’re looking at Jackson’s 28 AP/IB courses to Walton’s 28 AP courses. Your 5% pass rate is wrong too, but I just can’t find the actual numbers for you right now.

Lastly, unlike other suburban clusters, Jackson opens these opportunities to all students, so kids with a far more varied socioeconomic background have the same opportunities for success. Believe it or not, some seemingly high-preforming schools stringently cherry pick who takes the AP courses. So, at least at Jackson, while some just gain from the experience, others go on to top scores, etc... and of those students, there are low-income representatives from Mechanicsville, Summerhill, Edgewood Courts, Trestletree, as well affluent kids from Grant Park, Cabbagetown, Kirkwood, East Lake, etc

With that said, I’m sure East Cobb trumps APS with regard to exam scores based on factors mentioned here and in previous posts; but like you said, let’s not mislead people...

Old 07-09-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Well, according to the Maynard Jackson AP website, they offer 13 AP classes. And I know they recently added AP Government and AP Computer Science taught by an instructor from Ga Tech. So that looks like 15 in all.

https://maynardjacksonib.wixsite.com/apcourses

Secondly, Jackson is an IB school, which offers IB courses comparable to, and in some cases more rigorous than certain AP classes. And it appears they offer 13 of those.

https://maynardjacksonib.wixsite.com/mjhsib

So we’re looking at Jackson’s 28 AP/IB courses to Walton’s 28 AP courses. Your 5% pass rate is wrong too, but I just can’t find the actual numbers for you right now.

Lastly, unlike other suburban clusters, Jackson opens these opportunities to all students, so kids with a far more varied socioeconomic background have the same opportunities for success. Believe it or not, some seemingly high-preforming schools stringently cherry pick who takes the AP courses. So, at least at Jackson, while some just gain from the experience, others go on to top scores, etc... and of those students, there are low-income representatives from Mechanicsville, Summerhill, Edgewood Courts, Trestletree, as well affluent kids from Grant Park, Cabbagetown, Kirkwood, East Lake, etc

With that said, I’m sure East Cobb trumps APS with regard to exam scores based on factors mentioned here and in previous posts; but like you said, let’s not mislead people...
I wouldn't equate Jackson's AP/IB courses to Walton's AP courses, at all. For one thing, Jackson has a low number of students taking AP math and science, whereas Walton has a very high number taking math/science APs. If you want to say they aren't comparable because of the vast economic differences in the student body, that's fine. I'm just saying to the OP, it isn't a great school--some kids are doing great things there, but it doesn't compare to suburban schools in achievement.

If he wants to consider ethnic and socioeconomic factors, then I would urge the OP to do his own research and compare Jackson High School in APS to Campbell High School in Cobb. Campbell is more diverse than either Walton or Jackson, more diverse both economically and ethnically. Campbell is, like Jackson, an IB school. Even on this more level playing field, I would give the edge to Campbell--although I think both Jackson and Campbell are improving.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:35 PM

104 posts, read 39,479 times
Quote:
If you want to say they aren't comparable because of the vast economic differences in the student body, that's fine. I'm just saying to the OP, it isn't a great school
This is against the rules. You need to refute the reasoning that the bold and italics aren't connected.

And sure, I have no problems with the Campbell school district (wasn't familiar with it but looked up some stats and such). It draws from the more diverse parts of Cobb. I don't entirely know why you'd buy out in boring ass Smyrna on a budget of $400k, but if a ton of house is important to you, I get it. OP said they wanted: 1. Art and entertainment options (music, theater, museums etc.), 2. Diversity, 3. Greenery/old neighborhood feel, 4. Good and diverse food scene. 5. Larger square footage ( 1500sq. ft+), 6. Nice kitchen, 7. Large living room since we have people over often, 8. Backyard/privacy, 9. Peaceful area away from traffic, 10. Safe

I won't pretend to know I'm particularly familiar with Smyrna but I've been out to a couple friends places out there years ago and have biked around through it a bit. I thoroughly believe you nail 10/10 in some neighborhoods in Atlanta. Smyrna, I would guess 8/10 (miss on Arts/Entertainment and Good/Diverse food scene)?

Old 07-10-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
This is against the rules. You need to refute the reasoning that the bold and italics aren't connected.

Are you being sarcastic? They are directly related. In addition, schools tend to be a lagging indicator as an area becomes more affluent. It's easy to say "This school will be fine" before you have kids, but it's another thing altogether when you're face to face with your 8 year old and she's telling you she's scared to go to school, or she isn't getting the academics she needs, whatever. I've been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta