Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 09:21 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Others including you here do it to other states all the time. It's a two-way street. You carry on with the nonsense, so OKAY...
Why don't you show us one example of when I did that. I'd like to think I have enough analytical ability to stay above such things. No state is monolithic; nor, for the purposes of this thread, are people.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:26 AM

145 posts, read 93,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
You accused me of being a 7th Generation Atlantan. I corrected you. It was a statement of fact, not a brag. You filled the empty space with your own personal prejudices and proceeded to run with it, making slanderous comments regarding my mindset based on my supposed heritage (which has yet to be confirmed by me; it's really none of your business, anyway, Robespierre). I think you owe me an apology.

An apology? Because I called you a 7th generation instead of a 9th generation Atlantan? You may not see it as boasting, but many minority-Americans find it otherwise. The implication comes across that you're legit, and we aren't. Even if that's not your intention, that is the perception in the year 2019.

The second half is not slander if it's true. It is discussed in private on this website that your family owned slaves in the past. Doesn't mean you're a racist, it's just family history. If that's not true, then just tell us and the issue will go away.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:26 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
9th generation, actually. And my comment should not be interpreted as support for the flag-waver, because I don't. But if he were a virulent racist as some would depict him, why wouldn't he just back the truck up and drive away upon seeing his would-be clients? I see this more as an object lesson for him in that little gestures can make a big impact upon others. Hopefully he learned his, and threw the flag on the nearest burn pile. He owes that to the family that schooled him, as they handled him with aplomb. He will probably listen.

As to whether or not my forebears owned slaves six generations ago colors my current trains of thought, that is ludicrous.
Absolutely.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:40 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
I wonder why the article didn't give the name of the company the man owns or works for? It would be interesting to read the reviews on Yelp!.

I must admit it has crossed my mind that maybe they are in cahoots with one another and concocted the entire scenario for a video that goes viral.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:52 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKanye View Post
An apology? Because I called you a 7th generation instead of a 9th generation Atlantan? You may not see it as boasting, but many minority-Americans find it otherwise. The implication comes across that you're legit, and we aren't. Even if that's not your intention, that is the perception in the year 2019.

The second half is not slander if it's true. It is discussed in private on this website that your family owned slaves in the past. Doesn't mean you're a racist, it's just family history. If that's not true, then just tell us and the issue will go away.
This is McCarthyism reimagined.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism.

WTH difference does my family history make to you unless it serves to somehow diminish my position on the topic at hand? Don't attempt to be disingenuous; it's not your strong suit.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:55 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaYards View Post
Just to be clear, everyone needs to fight against racist.
Amen.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:02 AM

145 posts, read 93,247 times
Quote:
This is McCarthyism reimagined.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism.

WTH difference does my family history make to you unless it serves to somehow diminish my position on the topic at hand? Don't attempt to be disingenuous; it's not your strong suit.
Stop with the histrionics. You're turning yourself into the victim, when it was a black family that experienced the racism. Next you'll be calling 911 on me.

Your family history makes a difference. In your post you made a comment about how the Confederate flag bearing contractor will learn a lesson from this whole experience. Your direct quote is highlighted in purple below:

Quote:
9th generation, actually. And my comment should not be interpreted as support for the flag-waver, because I don't. But if he were a virulent racist as some would depict him, why wouldn't he just back the truck up and drive away upon seeing his would-be clients? I see this more as an object lesson for him in that little gestures can make a big impact upon others. Hopefully he learned his, and threw the flag on the nearest burn pile. He owes that to the family that schooled him, as they handled him with aplomb. He will probably listen.

As to whether or not my forebears owned slaves six generations ago colors my current trains of thought, that is ludicrous.
By admitting to your family's slave-holding past, a known secret on this board, while denouncing racism and the Confederacy, it will speak volumes about how much you have overcome your ancestors appeal to The Lost Cause, just like you stated the Confederate contractor would.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
The irony is that there were black Confederate soldiers, who held that flag dear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Like who?
Exactly, Mutiny.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:12 AM

KingKanye,
Why are you zeroing in and erroneously going after Iconographer?
It is derailing the thread.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:17 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I wonder why the article didn't give the name of the company the man owns or works for? It would be interesting to read the reviews on Yelp!.

I must admit it has crossed my mind that maybe they are in cahoots with one another and concocted the entire scenario for a video that goes viral.
There have always been folks who like to stir the pot just to get people riled up.

It is kind of curious that the SUV cranks up several second before the guy gets into it. (0:22)

Last edited by arjay57; 07-03-2019 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta