U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 10:02 AM

5,073 posts, read 3,297,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It plainly would just **** me off too much, if someone goes involuntarily into my vehicle for something that isnt theirs...they're taking lead with them.
So, you'd go to prison for killing someone because he took some stuff from you? That's pretty messed up.

Reminds me of a story from a few years ago of a man who hired a prostitute who then took his money and left. She was getting in her car outside when he come out of the house and simply shot and killed her. I couldn't believe the people who supported the man. Obviously, he was charged with something. Can't find the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
When I read the thread title, I thought it was referring to someone that was stealing small hamburgers off peoples' plates.
Me too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 10:27 AM

4,406 posts, read 4,059,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
So, you'd go to prison for killing someone because he took some stuff from you? That's pretty messed up.

Reminds me of a story from a few years ago of a man who hired a prostitute who then took his money and left. She was getting in her car outside when he come out of the house and simply shot and killed her. I couldn't believe the people who supported the man. Obviously, he was charged with something. Can't find the article.

Me too!
Its more to it than just taking stuff. My friend got his car stolen and his entire school project was on that laptop and everything he worked on for 4yrs, notes and all, were all gone over a simple car thief, and he pretty much failed that class because he had nothing to present, when his laptop and external drives that had everything backed up were in that book bag

The other issue, with these slider crimes are many time, a child is still in the car and these fool will steal the car with the child still in it and some of them stop up the road and place the child in car seat out on the side of the road.

Can anyone confirm if it is legal to shoot someone trying to steal your car with your child in it?

Old 07-04-2019, 10:38 AM

137 posts, read 43,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLUTD View Post
Taking a human life because they stole your $200 cell phone is just sad. It's just a sad way to live your life when you have a perspective like that.
^^^^^^ this. I'm shocked and surprised (but encouraged by it) to read a progressive viewpoint like this in the Atlanta forum.

We don't just shoot to kill people for material objects that can be replaced.

I would like to know the legality of shooting someone in the leg or some other non-lethal shot in order to prevent them from escaping. Does anyone know?

Old 07-04-2019, 10:42 AM

4,364 posts, read 6,031,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Its more to it than just taking stuff. My friend got his car stolen and his entire school project was on that laptop and everything he worked on for 4yrs, notes and all, were all gone over a simple car thief, and he pretty much failed that class because he had nothing to present, when his laptop and external drives that had everything backed up were in that book bag

The other issue, with these slider crimes are many time, a child is still in the car and these fool will steal the car with the child still in it and some of them stop up the road and place the child in car seat out on the side of the road.

Can anyone confirm if it is legal to shoot someone trying to steal your car with your child in it?
If you don't have multiple forms of backup (Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox etc) in this day and age.

I doubt it because it would not be a felony until after they left with the child and who is going to try and shot someone with their child in the vicinity?

Old 07-04-2019, 11:41 AM

5,073 posts, read 3,297,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
If you have your life's work, and the backup of that life's work all in one portable spot, you are an idiot. Having it all at home is one thing. But in a bag???

Quote:

If there is a child in the car, then I think the shooting would be justified, as you are protecting someone. This is not the same thing as stealing a car or some money. Although, you better be a very good shot to not put your child in even more danger.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:06 PM

2,013 posts, read 814,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLUTD View Post
Taking a human life because they stole your $200 cell phone is just sad. It's just a sad way to live your life when you have a perspective like that.
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post

Me too!
Here in Texas it's legal to defend property of any value with lethal force. That includes your personal vehicle and objects within it. Would I probably go to that extreme in Georgia? If he were arbitrarily entering my personal vehicle of which he has no business attempting to begin with, definitely yes and I would not feel any guilt over the matter. He was foolish for attempting to invade personal property, some decisions have harsh repercussions. Sorry but I have no pity for criminals. If you break into my property which noone told you to do or attempt, you had better hope I dont catch you. Stop empathizing for the bad guy. He knew what he was risking from the start. He knew what it could come to, he took a gamble and the odds didn't turn out in his favor.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 07-04-2019 at 01:14 PM..

Old 07-04-2019, 01:19 PM

29,344 posts, read 26,295,932 times
I admire the pluck of both of these women in refusing to let some low rent thief rip them off.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I admire the pluck of both of these women in refusing to let some low rent thief rip them off.
Yes, jump through the window and risk a brain injury for a car or cards that can be easily replaced. Yeah, I admire that pluck too.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:50 PM

29,344 posts, read 26,295,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Yes, jump through the window and risk a brain injury for a car or cards that can be easily replaced. Yeah, I admire that pluck too.
It may not have been smart but it was human nature. They didn't put the general public (or, heaven forbid, the thieves!) at risk.

What are they supposed to say? "Oh, certainly, Mr. Thief, you go right ahead and help yourself to whatever you'd like. Me, I'm not doing a darn thing about it."

Standing up for yourself is a lot different from opening fire.

Old 07-04-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It may not have been smart but it was human nature. They didn't put the general public (or, heaven forbid, the thieves!) at risk.

What are they supposed to say? "Oh, certainly, Mr. Thief, you go right ahead and help yourself to whatever you'd like. Me, I'm not doing a darn thing about it."

Standing up for yourself is a lot different from opening fire.

They put themselves at risk for nothing. Then, they'll be on the news with a GoFundMe to cover their medical bills .

Nothing in my car nor wallet is worth chasing after it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or