U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 10:25 PM

5,433 posts, read 4,080,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKanye View Post
^^^^^^ this. I'm shocked and surprised (but encouraged by it) to read a progressive viewpoint like this in the Atlanta forum.

We don't just shoot to kill people for material objects that can be replaced.

I would like to know the legality of shooting someone in the leg or some other non-lethal shot in order to prevent them from escaping. Does anyone know?
You canít shoot to wing someone. Thatís the problem, people think you can do that. Itís shoot to kill or nothing.
Also it takes a fair amount of skill to place a shot like that vs shooting the body mass.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:24 AM

172 posts, read 99,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post

Pocket full of valueless cards but have at it....

With every one of the victory against the thief's, we end with a case like the young man killed outside the Capital City Country Club.

I'm sure, I bet his wife (and daughter in the future) wishes, he just let the wallet/license so he could come back home to them instead of being 6 feet under but what do I know...good 'ol pluck was suppose to save him... .
He wasn't plucky enough. didn't ya know?

Old 07-06-2019, 12:27 AM

172 posts, read 99,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
So murdering someone over that "hunk of metal" is a better choice? This is a lot of hysteria to gain acceptance for killing people over simple theft.

Let me make sure I have this clear, because I hear this a lot. Criminal with gun pointed at you demands your wallet. You go to pull it out, but instead pull out your gun. Somehow, you are able to get that gun out, focus it on the right spot, and kill him before he can react with the gun he already has out? Did I get that all correct?
I didn't justify why people would do that. I am simply relaying the logic that is applied.

In the long run some people will lose enough of their fragile economic support with that hunk of metal, that dying or killing becomes the only choice they feel they have.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:10 AM

29,345 posts, read 26,295,932 times
Neither of the two ladies in the OP shot anybody. They simply said, "Hold on, you're not ripping off my wallet or my car right in front of me without some resistance."

People have a right to do that. These ladies are the victims, not the thieves who tried to steal their stuff.

The same is true of the man who was murdered at Capital City. He was the victim. Not the thieves who gunned him down in cold blood.

I'm amazed that there is more concern for thieves than for the people they victimize. Every one of these thieves could have elected not to steal in the first place, and to cease and desist at any time.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:11 AM

15,339 posts, read 27,525,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Well, what if you'd left your firearm on the console for a minute? Not everybody holsters while pumping gas.
This is why some of us do. But I also lock up and take precautions.

Bottom line is people shouldn’t steal or commit these crimes. Period.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:33 AM

23,042 posts, read 34,995,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Let me make sure I have this clear, because I hear this a lot. Criminal with gun pointed at you demands your wallet. You go to pull it out, but instead pull out your gun. Somehow, you are able to get that gun out, focus it on the right spot, and kill him before he can react with the gun he already has out? Did I get that all correct?
I'm a 5'4", 100 lb. Buckhead Betty with an ash blonde coif, guileless blue eyes and a brain wired like Dirty Harry's. It's called the Element of Surprise, dear.

I highly recommend proper firearms training for all my fellow Betties:

https://thedracogroup.com/security-training/courses/

Old 07-06-2019, 01:42 PM

2,257 posts, read 2,245,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Someone explain why people are willing to get themselves hurt or killed to protect something that is insured...?

If someone steals my car, fine. I'll call my insurance company and have a new one within a few days. Not risking my life for a hunk of metal.
I'll tell you why.

Because some people are sick and tired of the egregious behavior of Atlanta-bred criminals.

If you chalk it up to living in a big city, think again, Atlanta has far more instances like these than other big cities.

Some crimes may have worse numbers in other cities, but in general it's worse here.

One of Atlanta's main exports is the invention of new crimes or easy access to:

1) kidnapping/then murder. Multiple instances of kidnappings of prosecutors in NC, driven and help in Atlanta with instructions to kill them and their families.

2) I think "home invasion" (burglary while people are at home) is an Atlanta or South invention.

3) Smash-and -grab must be a home-grown things since it's so common here.

4) Sliding must be an Atlanta invention.

5) Georgia ranks 3rd in Armed Robbery (No surprise)

6) Ranks 2nd for identity theft.

One of the mayoral candidates cited a direct high school to prison path that he's seen for 25 years. He wanted to break the cycle.

I think all prisons should be allowing online courses so that when people are released they can support themselves.

On 60 minutes a man released after a couple of decades said there's no job training whatsoever & that officials release them out into the world expecting a miracle to occur and they not resume criminal activity.

Better parenting and job training.

Start by asking every juvenile offender what in their lives was missing that made them turn to crime, ask what could be provided that would be better than resorting to breaking into cars for a living.

The underground world of stolen merchandise in Atlanta must be yooouge.

Last edited by architect77; 07-06-2019 at 01:57 PM..

Old 07-06-2019, 02:01 PM

2,257 posts, read 2,245,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Neither of the two ladies in the OP shot anybody. They simply said, "Hold on, you're not ripping off my wallet or my car right in front of me without some resistance."

People have a right to do that. These ladies are the victims, not the thieves who tried to steal their stuff.

The same is true of the man who was murdered at Capital City. He was the victim. Not the thieves who gunned him down in cold blood.

I'm amazed that there is more concern for thieves than for the people they victimize. Every one of these thieves could have elected not to steal in the first place, and to cease and desist at any time.
But that's America today, especially in the media.

It's ok to hate, disrespect, run away from law enforcement and very popular to deny them service at fast food joint.

It's a scary precedent that's being set.

Old Today, 08:31 AM

60 posts, read 13,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
&

Here in Texas it's legal to defend property of any value with lethal force. That includes your personal vehicle and objects within it. Would I probably go to that extreme in Georgia? If he were arbitrarily entering my personal vehicle of which he has no business attempting to begin with, definitely yes and I would not feel any guilt over the matter. He was foolish for attempting to invade personal property, some decisions have harsh repercussions. Sorry but I have no pity for criminals. If you break into my property which noone told you to do or attempt, you had better hope I dont catch you. Stop empathizing for the bad guy. He knew what he was risking from the start. He knew what it could come to, he took a gamble and the odds didn't turn out in his favor.
I don't really care whether it's legal or not, it's still sad - that's my point. I've also never really considered Texas a bastion of morality or utopic place. There are probably some studies on how much the castle doctrine deters property crime...without hopping on Google Scholar, my initial guess is that if you're desperate enough to be stealing, it's highly unlikely you've considered the consequences that come with carrying out your plans. People don't steal in communities where everyone's needs are met (from my experiences living in them, but I'm sure there's some studies and statistical backup for this idea as well).

Old Today, 10:27 AM

2,017 posts, read 814,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLUTD View Post
I don't really care whether it's legal or not, it's still sad - that's my point. I've also never really considered Texas a bastion of morality or utopic place. There are probably some studies on how much the castle doctrine deters property crime...without hopping on Google Scholar, my initial guess is that if you're desperate enough to be stealing, it's highly unlikely you've considered the consequences that come with carrying out your plans. People don't steal in communities where everyone's needs are met (from my experiences living in them, but I'm sure there's some studies and statistical backup for this idea as well).
So my car and belongings of which I personally earned a degree and several certifications for, busted my --- off to obtain, worked over 80 hours a week for (yes I have on several accounts) are just sitting out there for the world to come and take from as community property and Im just going to booohooo over someone's fictional inequality - if there was real punishment for these crimes, and people saw they really had to work a 9x5 or actually be productive in terms of generating their capital instead of leaching onto others possessions... this crap would end...QUICKLY. Never once have I considered stealing from anybody, and I too have been in desperate situations (went homeless twice just to get through college). Its plainly a mindset - you steal once and get away with it, you realize you can make a living off of it, it becomes your new career, next thing you know you don't care about a job - just the next fix. I don't care what situation they are in, my property was paid for and belongs to me of which I worked to obtain LEGALLY -- so I'm not in the slightest empathetic to the action of robbing my belongings when you have the choice to work at becoming something productive in the world. What did it for me was my ambition - I didn't care that the world is widely bent against my opportunity to succeed, I just pushed on at all costs. I went from making $8 hourly without a place to call home to 6 figure salaries. So no, I've walked the hard road before - and its possible to get through it, therefore I have no empathy and cannot justify theft. There are other ways to get help when it comes down to that choice.

Bottom line, your sentiments do not reach me.

While you're sitting here crying over protecting the crook the guy who robbed the wallet from this lady has probably re-attempted 3 more thefts at this point, laughing and giggling all the way.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; Today at 10:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or