U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 03:06 PM

480 posts, read 171,224 times

Advertisements

The city plans to better regulate “party houses,” the large-scale events typically held in spacious residential homes where hundreds may pay a fee to attend.

Legislation presented at Monday’s City Council meeting would ban “party houses” in residential areas and better enforce rules around party houses, including one in Buckhead that’s plagued the community for the past 18 months, Councilman J.P. Matzigkeit said.

Matzigkeit, who represents District 8, which covers Buckhead, sponsored the ordinance after receiving multiple complaints about parties held at 4499 Garmon Road..."

FULL STORY: https://www.ajc.com/news/local/atlan...UJmA8UOtDjvvI/

SOURCE: AJC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 07:34 PM

5,074 posts, read 3,297,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
Matzigkeit, who represents District 8, which covers Buckhead, sponsored the ordinance after receiving multiple complaints about parties held at 4499 Garmon Road..."
Yeah...getting away with that in an area like Mt. Paran is pretty amazing. Just look at that place!

Old 07-04-2019, 07:28 AM

5,285 posts, read 4,026,436 times
I sincerely hope they don't go overboard and effectively make it illegal to have any kind of party at your residence.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:15 AM

3,170 posts, read 1,664,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I sincerely hope they don't go overboard and effectively make it illegal to have any kind of party at your residence.

I don't think you have to worry about having parties. These parties are commercial ventures and using your home as a commercial property runs afoul of ordinances. Especially since the owners don't live there full time. City of Atlanta already said they will put provisions in place to allow homeowners to host fundraising events (as many of these wealthy residents do.)

As a result of this article I learned that the owner, a dermatologist, created a billing scam and that my former dermatologist was caught up in it. And I remember the billing issues and being billed for things that I already paid for but I didn't realize it was an actual scam. Weird to find this out through a news piece about mansion parties.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Naaaa...Atlanta wouldn't pass something like that with unintended consequences or a rule that actually appealed to a very small part of the population!

Old 07-04-2019, 10:25 AM

5,285 posts, read 4,026,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
I don't think you have to worry about having parties. These parties are commercial ventures and using your home as a commercial property runs afoul of ordinances. Especially since the owners don't live there full time. City of Atlanta already said they will put provisions in place to allow homeowners to host fundraising events (as many of these wealthy residents do.)
What's a commercial venture though? Ask everyone to bring $5 to cover the food? Ask people to bring food? If Atlanta defines "commercial venture" too broadly, then theoretically the law could prevent even a group of friends pooling money.

The FAA is a good example of this, the regulations prohibit private pilots from being "compensated" for flying. Reasonable. But they define "compensation" in some broad ways. For instance, if I held a private pilot's license (I wish) and my company wanted me in Charlotte for a conference, I could get reimbursed for my costs getting there, same as if I drove, took the bus, took Amtrak, or flew. But if I take another employee going to the same conference with me, I couldn't be fully reimbursed for my costs, but they could. Let's say it cost $400 to make the flight. In the first case, I can be reimbursed the full $400. But in the second, I can only be reimbursed $200 from my coworker (who can then be reimbursed by the company). This kind of thing is what I'm afraid of Atlanta doing here.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:01 PM

29,345 posts, read 26,295,932 times
Quote:
What's a commercial venture though? Ask everyone to bring $5 to cover the food? Ask people to bring food? If Atlanta defines "commercial venture" too broadly, then theoretically the law could prevent even a group of friends pooling money.
Seems like there's a difference between an individual inviting people he already knows to his home and asking them to chip in to help defray the costs, vs. a business sending an announcement to the public at large for a party at a rented location and charging an attendance fee in order to generate a profit.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:03 PM

1,793 posts, read 1,849,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Seems like there's a difference between an individual inviting people he already knows to his home and asking them to chip in to help defray the costs, vs. a business sending an announcement to the public at large for a party at a rented location and charging an attendance fee in order to generate a profit.
I just hope it isn't so strict that it prevents house concerts--some great musical acts come to Atlanta and play in people's homes and it's common to pay to go to strangers' houses and hear them. I think it should be more of a case-by-base basis. There was a house on Moores Mill Rd in Buckhead that was used as an AirBnB party house for months and it was hugely disruptive so I get the problem, just don't want some new law to take out people quietly having fun. With the party house in our neighborhood many other laws already on the books were being broken, including drugs, underage drinking, selling alcohol without a license, firing a gun in city limits, etc.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
I just hope it isn't so strict that it prevents house concerts--some great musical acts come to Atlanta and play in people's homes and it's common to pay to go to strangers' houses and hear them. I think it should be more of a case-by-base basis. There was a house on Moores Mill Rd in Buckhead that was used as an AirBnB party house for months and it was hugely disruptive so I get the problem, just don't want some new law to take out people quietly having fun. With the party house in our neighborhood many other laws already on the books were being broken, including drugs, underage drinking, selling alcohol without a license, firing a gun in city limits, etc.
I'm guessing that cracking down on noise ordinances and maybe capacity laws would help with most of it. A house party that doesn't create lots of noise and boisterous behavior is not going to be noticed by others, and shouldn't lead to problems. One where you have 400 people showing up to a quiet neighborhood in tricked out street racers with pumping bass, loitering around the area, and then blasting some concert at the house until the morning hours is going to cause quite a different scene.

Old 07-06-2019, 05:46 AM

3,170 posts, read 1,664,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
The difference between this mansion party and the scenario you describe is that many of these mansions are not occupied by residents (although in this news item there seems to be a new resident who is i the process of buying the home and she was present during one party.) They are basically existing as defacto commercial event spaces. It’s not the same as a resident hosting an event in their home. An acquaintance of mine had a friend who managed a couple of these mansion “party rentals” that no one lived in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or