U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 06:51 AM

432 posts, read 177,167 times

Advertisements

Why is it called a race?

I tried watching a little of it on TV out of curiosity and all I saw was a crowd of out-of-shape people walking and a street covered with the garbage of flattened paper cups. It looked more like Lenox Square on the day after Thanksgiving than any actual road race I've ever seen -- except that no one would drop that kind of trash all over the ground at Lenox.

I saw the race once before, live, when I lived in Atlanta, about 40 years ago, and the people in it were actually running. You know, as in a race.

What happened? And why on EARTH are they using paper cups? What happened to recyclable plastic bottles in road races?

Old 07-04-2019, 07:02 AM

892 posts, read 438,616 times
All people do in this city is complain.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:20 AM

23,035 posts, read 34,995,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
All people do in this city is complain.
No kidding.

It's more than a race; it's an event, and a great, long-standing (50 years now!) tradition for the city of Atlanta and its citizens (I love that whole families often participate in it). Why anyone would try and cast it in a negative light is beyond me.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:45 AM

5,073 posts, read 3,297,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
Why is it called a race?

I tried watching a little of it on TV out of curiosity and all I saw was a crowd of out-of-shape people walking and a street covered with the garbage of flattened paper cups. It looked more like Lenox Square on the day after Thanksgiving than any actual road race I've ever seen -- except that no one would drop that kind of trash all over the ground at Lenox.

I saw the race once before, live, when I lived in Atlanta, about 40 years ago, and the people in it were actually running. You know, as in a race.

What happened? And why on EARTH are they using paper cups? What happened to recyclable plastic bottles in road races?
Because many do race. The Peachtree Road Race is the world's largest 10k, and people from all over the world come to compete. Go look at the list of winners and the countries they are from. The winners are averaging 4:30 miles (13 MPH), which is faster than I ride my bike for exercise on the Silver Comet. That's insane.

There are 60,000 people in it...more than 10% of the entire metro population. Even if 5,000 people were truly racing, that would leave 55,000 people just doing it for fun. Even if 3/4 of the people raced, 15,000 would still be there just for fun.

As for the paper cups, the people who are competing aren't going to carry a water bottle. Actually, those people probably don't drink during the race anyway. It would be great if people who were just recreationally running or certainly those walking would use a personal water bottle. It all gets cleaned up though.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:46 AM

5,431 posts, read 3,831,332 times
Because it is an actual race.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:37 AM

2,379 posts, read 3,740,941 times
Today the men' finisher ran the fastest 10K on US soil ever! That is certainly a race. In fact there were 4 course records set today. The Atlanta Track Club has made huge strides in being environmentally friendly.

If you were out there this morning in the crowds you would be amazed the positive energy and community feel. This is an event that we should be proud of. There were people of all races, ethnicities, religions and political parties and we all had a great time and were respectful of each other.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:18 PM

29,344 posts, read 26,295,932 times
It's a serious race for runners at all levels, even if you're just competing against yourself.

Competitive runners are grouped in flights based on their ability. If you don't submit performance data you get lumped in with the masses at the end. I did it for years, in part to prove to myself that I could still cover 6 miles on foot in a reasonable time.

If you don't think it's a race, wait until you're chugging up Cardiac Hill and the folks from the Shepherd Center come out to cheer you on.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:19 PM

7,369 posts, read 10,062,586 times
I had the joy to do this four times back in the late 90s early 00s before the move to Texas. The most Atlanta thing I ever did. What a wonderful tradition. For me, the race was against myself, to complete the race and better my personal time. The actually professional runners had actually crossed the line long before my group ever made it to the starting line.

The OP has been properly educated. But add to this.

Old 07-04-2019, 04:20 PM

2,994 posts, read 6,481,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
Why is it called a race?

If that is all you saw then you must have slept in this morning! The first 30 minutes were filled with elite athletes setting records and over the next hour plus you could see runners and walkers of all ages, colors and fitness levels out there enjoying some physical activity while getting cheered on by smiling, happy crowds.

Don't poop on The Peachtree!

Old 07-04-2019, 05:43 PM

10,020 posts, read 9,326,837 times
It is called a race because it is a race. Why in tarnation are you whining about it? Watched it on TV? Get your arse out there and run it off. Idiotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or