U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-05-2019, 08:24 AM
 
689 posts, read 374,728 times
Reputation: 639

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a job interview in Lawrenceville. While I am not sure if I will get the job, I do want to be prepared in case. So I was hoping to have a few questions answered about the area, any help would be much appreciated.

So, here are my questions:

1. What is a nice town or area with a community feel for a 20-something Jewish professional with a thick New Jersey accent with rents between $750 and $900 per month that is roughly half way between Lawrenceville and Atlanta? I would add that I am used to living in a low crime area, so public safety is also important.

2. Where I come from, we have plenty of shopping malls and urban areas, but also woods and paved walking paths. Is that the case in the Atlanta metro area?

3. Honestly, can I get a good Italian meal in the area? This may sound like an odd question, but I've spent my whole life in a place where there are a ton of great Italian restaurants.

4. In addition to rent, how is the cost of living in the area? I'm talking energy bills, car insurance, food etc.

5. How bad is the traffic in the area? One person told me it's bad, is that the case?

6. Is there culture in the area?

7. How humid are the summers really?

If you can answer any of these questions and/or have suggestions about apartment complexes, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Last edited by njforlife92; 07-05-2019 at 08:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-05-2019, 08:55 AM
 
8,315 posts, read 10,265,111 times
Reputation: 6425
1. Nowhere. Only Buckhead and Sandy Springs fit that description, neither of which is between Lawrenceville and Atlanta. Also, neither has rents that cheap.

2. Yes.

3. In the metro area, yes. In Lawrenceville, not really. Good Italian in Atlanta is generally only found at the fine dining restaurants, I'm not aware of any neighborhood joints that offer high quality Italian food (maybe they're out there somewhere).

4. Probably a lot less than New Jersey.

5. Beyond bad. Somewhere between completely awful and Dante's unpublished tenth circle of Hell. Of course, it depends heavily on where you are going and what time, but is rarely completely predictable. Read up on it, Atlanta's problems with traffic are well documented. Some boosters here will tell you it's exaggerated. By the time you discover how terribly, terribly wrong they are, it will be too late.

6. It's a big area. In some parts, yes. Where you are looking... not so much.

7. You'll see when you get here. If you think about the steamroom at your local gym, you'll have a pretty good idea. In Atlanta we do have 4 seasons: 1) Winter, which ranges between wet and cold to dry and mild by year 2) Spring, which can be 3 days or two months long, but is always marked by blankets of pollen coating everything 3) Summer, which is hot, sticky and disgusting. Unless it rains a lot, which it does sometimes. 4) Fall, which is great.

Just keeping it real for ya!

Last edited by ATLTJL; 07-05-2019 at 09:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2019, 09:02 AM
 
446 posts, read 183,096 times
Reputation: 622
What ATLTJL said.

OTOH, Yankees have been coming to the Atlanta area for over 100 years and staying, so there must be something good about the place that y'all like ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2019, 09:16 AM
 
8,315 posts, read 10,265,111 times
Reputation: 6425
I personally wouldn't recommend anybody move to Atlanta with a budget of $750 to $900 for an apartment. You're simply unlikely to be happy with what that's going to get. Though... I don't know how in the world you'd be getting by in NJ with that budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2019, 09:21 AM
 
689 posts, read 374,728 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
1. Nowhere. Only Buckhead and Sandy Springs fit that description, neither of which is between Lawrenceville and Atlanta. Also, neither has rents that cheap.

2. Yes.

3. In the metro area, yes. In Lawrenceville, not really. Good Italian in Atlanta is generally only found at the fine dining restaurants, I'm not aware of any neighborhood joints that offer high quality Italian food (maybe they're out there somewhere).

4. Probably a lot less than New Jersey.

5. Beyond bad. Somewhere between completely awful and Dante's unpublished tenth circle of Hell. Of course, it depends heavily on where you are going and what time, but is rarely completely predictable. Read up on it, Atlanta's problems with traffic are well documented. Some boosters here will tell you it's exaggerated. By the time you discover how terribly, terribly wrong they are, it will be too late.

6. It's a big area. In some parts, yes. Where you are looking... not so much.

7. You'll see when you get here. If you think about the steamroom at your local gym, you'll have a pretty good idea. In Atlanta we do have 4 seasons: 1) Winter, which ranges between wet and cold to dry and mild by year 2) Spring, which can be 3 days or two months long, but is always marked by blankets of pollen coating everything 3) Summer, which is hot, sticky and disgusting. Unless it rains a lot, which it does sometimes. 4) Fall, which is great.

Just keeping it real for ya!
I appreciate your response and honesty, if I get an offer I will have a big decision to make and having accurate information is important, so thank you!

I just consulted the map and it looks like Sandy Springs and Buckhead, while not exactly half way between Lawrenceville and Atlanta, appear to be within a distance I wouldn't mind commuting. However, and this is a follow-up, does it matter traffic wise that this would be a reverse commute? While I'd prefer a 15-20 minute commute, I can do 30 minutes but if 30 minutes is really 1 hour every day then I wouldn't like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
What ATLTJL said.

OTOH, Yankees have been coming to the Atlanta area for over 100 years and staying, so there must be something good about the place that y'all like ...
Thank you! I guess you don't mind us coming down? I ask because I want to be able to make friends haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2019, 09:37 AM
 
2,086 posts, read 1,805,925 times
Reputation: 1356
Maybe you could find something in Tucker for that. You would be close to City of Decatur, and not that far from the city.
If you are looking to meet more young Jews the east part of Intown will have a better representation than any place else your work will be close to. Maybe look into Emory’s off-campus housing site—https://offcampushousing.emory.edu/
Maybe you could room with a grad student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2019, 10:21 AM
 
2,053 posts, read 825,181 times
Reputation: 1658
For good Italian you need to check out Pastabella in Marietta GA. It is a good bit of a drive from Lawrenceville but it is so worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2019, 02:36 PM
 
3,481 posts, read 5,106,866 times
Reputation: 1544
I am moving to Cumming which is in South Forsyth, I spent quite a bit of time looking at options around from the 285/400/85 suburbs.

I also lived in Bridgewater NJ so I have a NJ passport. I can help you a bit. Honestly I would call the local Synagogue & talk to a rabbi who may have some options for you with room mates.


1. What is a nice town or area with a community feel for a 20-something Jewish professional with a thick New Jersey accent with rents between $750 and $900 per month that is roughly halfway between Lawrenceville and Atlanta? I would add that I am used to living in a low crime area, so public safety is also important.

You can get something really nice off of 85 close to Lawrenceville for $900 a month with a roommate. $900 for a single bedroom is going to put you in some sketchy areas. This is about a 20 minute commute via car. Look at apartments north of 285 & east of I-85 along the I-85 interstate. The further out you go the nicer it is & the cheaper due to commutes. Here is one for $984 for a 1 bedroom.

https://hotpads.com/sugar-mill-lawre...=750-1000&z=14

Where I come from, we have plenty of shopping malls and urban areas, but also woods and paved walking paths. Is that the case in the Atlanta metro area?

Where I come from, we have plenty of shopping malls and urban areas, but also woods and paved walking paths. Is that the case in the Atlanta metro area? Plenty of those around northern Atlanta. The area north of Atlanta between I-75 to I-85 is one of the top suburbs in the US to live for professionals. There are several fantastic malls & outdoor areas.


Food, get on Yelp & other review sites, there are gems out there. I had a veal parm to die for last time I was up there looking at houses. Buford highway is one of the best if notthe best international food scene in the US.

In addition to rent, how is the cost of living in the area? I'm talking energy bills, car insurance, food etc.
About 20% cheaper than northern NJ.

How bad is the traffic in the area? One person told me it's bad, is that the case? It's like Northern NJ, 287 & the turnpike. It sucks during rush hour but ok otherwise.

Is there culture in the area? Yes, quite a bit.

Humid? Summers are hot & humid, it will be an eye opener for you for sure. It takes a couple of summers for your blood to thin out & you never get used to the heat but learn to tolerate it better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2019, 01:58 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,292 posts, read 3,508,544 times
Reputation: 4464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
For good Italian you need to check out Pastabella in Marietta GA. It is a good bit of a drive from Lawrenceville but it is so worth it.
My favorite on the NE side of town is Bambinelli's, behind Northlake Mall. This is the real deal, an absolutely fantastic place and the owners are very sweet people from The Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-06-2019, 07:47 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,071 posts, read 35,028,118 times
Reputation: 15219
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
My favorite on the NE side of town is Bambinelli's, behind Northlake Mall. This is the real deal, an absolutely fantastic place and the owners are very sweet people from The Bronx.
But be sure to go on a Sunday night, right, JM? So says Mama Bonnie!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top