U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 08:04 AM

62 posts, read 15,202 times

Advertisements

Westside is really weird in some spots. I bike through some of those neighborhoods and they are these developer-centric townhomes with construction, fields, dirt, and hills as far as the eye can see. The neighborhoods look very strategically placed (which makes sense given that a developer bought acres of land and planned the whole place out) and they are all separated by 2 lane highways. Very suburby feeling but not as long a drive to in-town stuff as you'd get living in somewhere like Marietta or East Cobb.

No doubt that area is going to boom shortly though with the new park coming in and the Beltline. I'd buy in a place like Grove Park before I buy in a place like West Highlands but that's just because I think it's a much more tasteful neighborhood. Amenities over there are not great yet either...expect to drive to SW and Eastside when you want to go out to dinner and such.

As for my rec: I'd rent the first year and figure out what neighborhood fits best with your lifestyle. All the neighborhoods here have very different personalities, which is nice because it keeps life interesting, but I'd hate to buy somewhere without spending lots of time understanding what life is going to be like there. You mention you're looking at both Vinings/Smyrna and Summerhill, which are extremely different with regards to vibe, amenities, walkability, etc. Nothing is stopping you from buying a year down the line except for the annoyance of having to move again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 08:44 AM

5,080 posts, read 3,303,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLUTD View Post
Westside is really weird in some spots. I bike through some of those neighborhoods and they are these developer-centric townhomes with construction, fields, dirt, and hills as far as the eye can see. The neighborhoods look very strategically placed (which makes sense given that a developer bought acres of land and planned the whole place out) and they are all separated by 2 lane highways. Very suburby feeling but not as long a drive to in-town stuff as you'd get living in somewhere like Marietta or East Cobb.

No doubt that area is going to boom shortly though with the new park coming in and the Beltline. I'd buy in a place like Grove Park before I buy in a place like West Highlands but that's just because I think it's a much more tasteful neighborhood. Amenities over there are not great yet either...expect to drive to SW and Eastside when you want to go out to dinner and such.
You seem to be talking about the further-out westside neighborhoods. Don't know where you're seeing these spotty homes with fields and hills in between. West Highlands is on the other side of the rail yard from the main center of activity on the northern west side. Most people who have suggested westside neighborhoods have suggested more the area around Huff or the area up Marietta Blvd. near Bolton. Both of these areas either have or will soon have plenty of dining options. The Bolton area also has a full size Publix. But yeah...West Highlands is a ghost town of amenities. That and the schools are the reasons we don't live there.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:02 AM

62 posts, read 15,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
You seem to be talking about the further-out westside neighborhoods. Don't know where you're seeing these spotty homes with fields and hills in between. West Highlands is on the other side of the rail yard from the main center of activity on the northern west side. Most people who have suggested westside neighborhoods have suggested more the area around Huff or the area up Marietta Blvd. near Bolton. Both of these areas either have or will soon have plenty of dining options. The Bolton area also has a full size Publix. But yeah...West Highlands is a ghost town of amenities. That and the schools are the reasons we don't live there.
You're right, I don't know why I didn't mention the Marietta St/Howell Mill corridor as amenities in the area. I don't spend a ton of time up there but definitely east of the rail yard is much more in the way of amenities. I'm confused as to why I see signs selling $400k townhomes in West Highlands...doesn't seem to be great value.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:24 AM

5,080 posts, read 3,303,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLUTD View Post
You're right, I don't know why I didn't mention the Marietta St/Howell Mill corridor as amenities in the area. I don't spend a ton of time up there but definitely east of the rail yard is much more in the way of amenities. I'm confused as to why I see signs selling $400k townhomes in West Highlands...doesn't seem to be great value.
I was referring to Marietta Blvd. around Coronet Way/Bolton. By the end of the year, that little pocket will have Westside Pizzeria, Marlow's Tavern, Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins, Tropical Smoothie Cafe, Clean Juice, Wendy's, Carneceria Ramirez, Henri's Bakery, Little House Cafe, and three currently unsigned restaurants. That's in addition to a Publix, RaceTrac, Dollar Tree, multiple nail salons, a lash place, dry cleaner, a yoga studio, a workout gym, pet salon, multiple hair salons, multiple banks, and a host of currently unsigned spaces. And that doesn't include two mixed use developments being built.

As for West Highlands...I'm not seeing any townhomes over their for over $400k (I may just be missing them), but I do see plenty of SFH on small lots for that price. I guess it's just the proximity to Midtown/Downtown coupled with being more than 2,000 square feet and brand new. The school district and amenity package are not raising that price at all.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:01 PM

623 posts, read 327,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I was referring to Marietta Blvd. around Coronet Way/Bolton. By the end of the year, that little pocket will have Westside Pizzeria, Marlow's Tavern, Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins, Tropical Smoothie Cafe, Clean Juice, Wendy's, Carneceria Ramirez, Henri's Bakery, Little House Cafe, and three currently unsigned restaurants. That's in addition to a Publix, RaceTrac, Dollar Tree, multiple nail salons, a lash place, dry cleaner, a yoga studio, a workout gym, pet salon, multiple hair salons, multiple banks, and a host of currently unsigned spaces. And that doesn't include two mixed use developments being built.

As for West Highlands...I'm not seeing any townhomes over their for over $400k (I may just be missing them), but I do see plenty of SFH on small lots for that price. I guess it's just the proximity to Midtown/Downtown coupled with being more than 2,000 square feet and brand new. The school district and amenity package are not raising that price at all.
Those $400k ones are all sold out. I believe Brock will only be building SFHs going forward in that area. The new part of the neighborhood along Sanford Drive (not yet updated on Google Maps) has houses in the mid $500kís and half of them are already under contract. Some havenít even broken ground.

Itís only a 5 minute drive to Westside Provisions/Howell Mill corridor and a 10 minute to Midtown. Thatís why.

Old Today, 08:38 PM

4 posts
Would Decatur be of interest? Great location
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or