U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 05:17 PM

2 posts, read 567 times

Advertisements

Trying to decide if buying or renting would be better right now and hoping to get some recommendations.

- Couple in early 30ís, no kids, 1 small dog, 1 cat. We would like a nice yard, also wondering if we need to worry about snakes and leaving our dog in the yard?
- Enjoy being able to walk/bike to restaurants, shops, parks, grocery, etc.
- Lookin at a budget between 450k-650k, Hoping to get some help about what up and coming neighborhoods would be best on the low end of our budget or would it make more sense to buy on the high side of our budget in a nicer neighborhood??
- Concerned with safety and value for the money
- would like to keep it as close to midtown as possible or an under 25 minute commute.
- Mainly looking at Piedmont Heights, Morningside Lenox, Summerhill, Lindridge-Martin-manor, Collier Hills, Vinings, Smyrna, and West Midtown.
I appreciate any help out there! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 05:26 PM

10,537 posts, read 7,511,842 times
How long are you likely to stay in this place?

If you are going to live there for decades, buy.

If you are still learning neighborhoods in Atlanta or are likely to get a job elsewhere in the coming years I would rent.

Either way, I think the intown east-side neighborhoods would be a good place to start. Inman Park, O4W, Grant Park, East Atlanta, Ormewood, Kirkwood, Edgewood, Summerhill, etc.

Old 07-05-2019, 06:42 PM

5,080 posts, read 3,303,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy311 View Post
Trying to decide if buying or renting would be better right now and hoping to get some recommendations.

- Couple in early 30’s, no kids, 1 small dog, 1 cat. We would like a nice yard, also wondering if we need to worry about snakes and leaving our dog in the yard?
- Enjoy being able to walk/bike to restaurants, shops, parks, grocery, etc.
- Lookin at a budget between 450k-650k, Hoping to get some help about what up and coming neighborhoods would be best on the low end of our budget or would it make more sense to buy on the high side of our budget in a nicer neighborhood??
- Concerned with safety and value for the money
- would like to keep it as close to midtown as possible or an under 25 minute commute.
- Mainly looking at Piedmont Heights, Morningside Lenox, Summerhill, Lindridge-Martin-manor, Collier Hills, Vinings, Smyrna, and West Midtown.
I appreciate any help out there! Thanks!!
Renting vs. buying. I assume that wanting to be near midtown means that one or both of you has a confirmed job in midtown? If so, and it's a solid career and you know you'll be there for a while, then go ahead and buy. Otherwise, rent for a year and figure out different areas and what appeals to you.

As for snakes...I've lived in Atlanta for over 15 years. I don't have a real yard or anything, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've even seen a snake in those 15 years. I honestly cannot recall a single time.

Now...with a budget of $450-$650, and wanting to be fairly close to Midtown in a decent, safer area, and a possible up-and coming area, here are my thoughts:
  • Lindridge-Martin Manor: I had never known the name of that area prior to your post. Personally, there is nothing that draws me to that area. It'a close to midtown, and houses are nice enough. But I just don't get any kind of wow from that area. Not terribly much to walk or bike to easily.
  • Piedmont Heights: Same as above. Probably a few more amenities close by, and Piedmont Park pretty close.
  • Morningside-Lenox Park: Largely residential with large yards. Unless you're out on the edges in certain corners, it's not going to be exceptionally quick to walk/bike to amenities. Mostly out of your budget except at the high end.
  • Collier Hills: Also largely residential with large yards. Very nice area with some great parks and access to the North Beltline trail. This might be connected to the rest of the Beltline in a decade or so. Also somewhat on the high end of your budget.

All of the above are fairly established neighborhoods which I don't see as up and coming for anything.
  • Summerhill: Up and coming for sure. You would be getting in on the bottom end and probably having to wait several years before seeing real results. Hard to say what it will become. Currently, amenities and the ability to walk and bike places are all very limited. But the area is poised to grow largely over the next few years.
  • Eastside neighborhoods you didn't mention: Almost all of the eastside neighborhoods like Inman Park, Virginia Highland, Old Fourth Ward, Kirkwood, Edgewood, and the areas around those will check off pretty much everything on your list. More walkable options, but not entirely easy to go car-free unless you are fully dedicated to it. Most are also established and not particularly up-and-coming. These are not on my list mostly because they're just too congested and busy. I don't really like going over there much. They're close to Midtown, but can take a while sometimes.

Northwest Areas
  • Smyrna/Vinings: Both great suburbs with pretty easy quick access to Midtown. Probably not the most walkable, bikable options, but an endless array of restaurants and entertainment within minutes.
  • West Midtown: A great area. Lots and lots of stuff happening there and the area is growing very quickly. Most of the housing in the area is townhomes or homes with small yards, and likely more towards the top of your budget. If I had the money, this would be near the top of my list personally. Grocery store is a couple miles away, but everything else is right there, and it's literally 5-10 minutes to Midtown.
  • Bolton/Hills Park AKA "Upper Westside" (not on your list): Adding this because of the bias of me living in the area. This area is growing quickly. Along Marietta Blvd, there are currently three mixed use developments being constructed, with another one or two talked about, within a 3/4 mile stretch. Lots of new restaurants, shops, full-size Publix, etc. There is also a short multi-use trail running through some of the hood. Plenty of housing options in your budget. The houses right next to the developments have started trending higher, but townhomes are in your budget. And they are nice. You can get SFH in planned developments with small yards but more neighborhood spaces (parks, pools, etc) in Dupont Commons or Westside Station. If i had enough money...I would be living in one of those two, or Altus at The Quarter. Definitely up and coming with amenities galore. Oh, and 10-15 minutes max to Midtown, even at peak rush hour. Oh, and very little crime.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:34 AM

2 posts, read 567 times
Solid info! Thanks for the responses! West Midtown&Upper Westside have moved up my list of places to check out. I think I’ll head to the East Side neighborhoods today and the West Side/Upper Westside tomorrow.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy311 View Post
Solid info! Thanks for the responses! West Midtown&Upper Westside have moved up my list of places to check out. I think Iíll head to the East Side neighborhoods today and the West Side/Upper Westside tomorrow.
Sounds like a good plan. I think you'll find things to like about both. It totally depends on your personality and desires as to which one will feel more like home to you. For some people, nothing is better than the east side, for good reasons. For some people, nothing is better than the west side, for good reasons. Take it all in and see.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:28 PM

623 posts, read 327,580 times
West Midtown and Upper Westside is my choice. If my budget was $650k-ish, Id try to get something in West Town. In my opinion that location is perfect. Walking distance to Westside Provisions and the booming Howell Mill corridor, right on the future Beltline and a ten minute drive to Midtown.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
West Midtown and Upper Westside is my choice. If my budget was $650k-ish, Id try to get something in West Town. In my opinion that location is perfect. Walking distance to Westside Provisions and the booming Howell Mill corridor, right on the future Beltline and a ten minute drive to Midtown.
West Town is pretty great. Last weekend, we walked through about five of the homes being built across from the Fairmont. Every one of them had features we wanted. And they're only twice our budget! They're close to West Midtown...walkable if you're determined (around a mile to the closest stuff). No yard on the new units down the road, but some of the units closer up have yards.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:21 AM

1,430 posts, read 784,417 times
How was east side? For what you're looking for that is my recommendation. Virginia Highland and O4W are both super hot Eastside neighborhoods for different reasons. Virginia Highland because it is historically safe and upscale, and O4W because of PCM, Beltline, and basically becoming the center for "hip" in Atlanta. Virginia Highland is basically entirely safe. O4W has some bad streets because it is only recently gentrified and there is a concentration of subsidized housing on Boulevard. Both would be at the high end of your budget.

Right smack in the middle of your budget is the Edgewood-Kirkwood- East Lake trio. They are basically a set of three closely related neighborhoods that have undergone heavy gentrification over the last few years. They are all quite safe, with Kirkwood the safest, most developed, and most expensive of the three. They are close to Midtown but generally have a suburban feel (Kirkwood was originally a suburb of Atlanta) and tree lined streets with larger homes with yards. All three still have further upward potential.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:23 AM

1,974 posts, read 2,234,320 times
A few neat breweries on the West side too

Old 07-08-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
A few neat breweries on the West side too
Another one was just announced over on Seaboard Industrial, Round Trip Brewing. That brings the total in just the NW Atlanta area to, I believe, eight.
Monday Night Brewing on Trabert
Steady Hand Beer Company on Huber/Ellsworth Industrial
The Bold Monk on Ellsworth Industrial (not open yet)
Second Self Beer Company on Logan Circle
Atlanta Brewing Company on Defoor Hills
Scofflaw Brewing Company on MacArthur
Round Trip Brewing on Seaboard Industrial (not open yet)
Urban Tree Cidery on Howell Mill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or