U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-09-2019, 12:59 PM
 
2,070 posts, read 830,621 times
Reputation: 1658

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
A good example large metro areas which grew beyond the 8m is Chicago. The metro area has sprawled well beyond the traditional downtown to where there is clusters of office complexes which in many metro areas would be the traditional downtown. This is one of the hottest areas for business in the US & will continue to keep growing.

GA DOT needs to address the lack of public transportation along the 400/perimeter area. What is needed is heavy rail running all the way up to cummings with 4 to 6 spurs into Forsyth county & into Northern Fulton & then turn the Sandy Springs station into a transfer point, where you can transfer to public transportation for the local area. A line from Sandy Springs to the Braves stadium with several stops would be a good start.

The other big fix is to run Marta to the Braves Stadium, this is a no brainer.
The building of that stadium in Cobb while void of any feasible transit options bugs me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2019, 01:04 PM
 
29,371 posts, read 26,328,600 times
Reputation: 10275
There was an article in today's paper about the ATL beating out Charlotte for a new 1,000 job facility. Doesn't sound to me like we're on our last legs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2019, 01:07 PM
 
446 posts, read 184,671 times
Reputation: 622
I have no idea what "GDP" stands for but I do know that that writer got a few things wrong right from the first paragraph. Atlanta boomed long before 1960. Try over a century earlier, when it was founded as a railroad terminus, hence its early name.

Another growth spurt came in its recovery from Sherman's march-and-burning and during Reconstruction.

It has never been anything like Birmingham -- it is not an industrial city, for one thing. It never was. That was never its purpose. The airport merely took the place of the railroad as airplanes took the "place" of trains (never the same, but whatever).

As for Coca-Cola, that long predated the author's claim. It has been here a LOT longer than UPS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2019, 01:38 PM
 
3,620 posts, read 1,207,162 times
Reputation: 2368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
I have no idea what "GDP" stands for but I do know that that writer got a few things wrong right from the first paragraph. Atlanta boomed long before 1960. Try over a century earlier, when it was founded as a railroad terminus, hence its early name.

Another growth spurt came in its recovery from Sherman's march-and-burning and during Reconstruction.

It has never been anything like Birmingham -- it is not an industrial city, for one thing. It never was. That was never its purpose. The airport merely took the place of the railroad as airplanes took the "place" of trains (never the same, but whatever).

As for Coca-Cola, that long predated the author's claim. It has been here a LOT longer than UPS.
GDP = Gross Domestic Product
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2019, 01:45 PM
 
3,620 posts, read 1,207,162 times
Reputation: 2368
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
There was an article in today's paper about the ATL beating out Charlotte for a new 1,000 job facility. Doesn't sound to me like we're on our last legs.
It's a distribution center. While it is economic investment that will produce more tax revenue and provide employment opportunities to locals, it's nothing to brag about as they're going in every major metro area you can think of (including Charlotte).

In fact, they're only further contributing to the growing wealth gap in Atlanta because of how unequal the pay is compared to the Fintech jobs in the northern part of towns and the higher-paying low skilled jobs they have replaced over the years.

Conversely, Charlotte's getting a new big bank HQ at Atlanta's expense. So I doubt they're crying over losing a bunch of low wage jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2019, 02:33 PM
 
2,097 posts, read 1,836,151 times
Reputation: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post

GA DOT needs to address the lack of public transportation along the 400/perimeter area. What is needed is heavy rail running all the way up to cummings with 4 to 6 spurs into Forsyth county & into Northern Fulton & then turn the Sandy Springs station into a transfer point, where you can transfer to public transportation for the local area. A line from Sandy Springs to the Braves stadium with several stops would be a good start.

The other big fix is to run Marta to the Braves Stadium, this is a no brainer.
Are you and your neighbors willing to pay for that?

Heavy rail to where 400 and hwy 20 intersect is 22 miles @ $200 million per mile that equals $4.4 billion

A rail line from the Dunwoody Station to the Braves stadium is 8 miles @ $200 million = $1.6 billion

Light rail lines in N Fulton and S Forsyth would probably be another $1 billion

That's $7 billion just to serve N Fulton and S Forsyth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2019, 03:06 PM
 
29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Reputation: 18522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
I have no idea what "GDP" stands for but I do know that that writer got a few things wrong right from the first paragraph. Atlanta boomed long before 1960. Try over a century earlier, when it was founded as a railroad terminus, hence its early name.

Another growth spurt came in its recovery from Sherman's march-and-burning and during Reconstruction.
Those were more like growth spurts; Atlanta's mid-century boom (thanks air conditioning!) was the catalyst responsible for its transformation into a major city, akin to what many Northern cities experienced in the late 18th/early 19th centuries.

Quote:
It has never been anything like Birmingham -- it is not an industrial city, for one thing. It never was. That was never its purpose. The airport merely took the place of the railroad as airplanes took the "place" of trains (never the same, but whatever).
Certainly Birmingham was heavier on the heavy industry side of things, but Atlanta was definitely more industrial than the coastal plain cities that relied more on agriculture. As a true Piedmont city, Atlanta's predominant industry early was textile mills and as you noted, railroad-related operations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2019, 03:14 PM
 
2,070 posts, read 830,621 times
Reputation: 1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Are you and your neighbors willing to pay for that?

Heavy rail to where 400 and hwy 20 intersect is 22 miles @ $200 million per mile that equals $4.4 billion

A rail line from the Dunwoody Station to the Braves stadium is 8 miles @ $200 million = $1.6 billion

Light rail lines in N Fulton and S Forsyth would probably be another $1 billion

That's $7 billion just to serve N Fulton and S Forsyth.
Yeah but why does everyone here seem to think that good transportation needs to come cheap? You get what you pay for... ...It may cost more to cover similar mileage than the Toll Lanes - I do not deny that, but will overall be much more beneficial to the metro region over a MUCH longer period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2019, 03:16 PM
 
29,371 posts, read 26,328,600 times
Reputation: 10275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskia Calico View Post
It has never been anything like Birmingham -- it is not an industrial city, for one thing. It never was. That was never its purpose. The airport merely took the place of the railroad as airplanes took the "place" of trains (never the same, but whatever).

As for Coca-Cola, that long predated the author's claim. It has been here a LOT longer than UPS.
I wouldn't discount the ATL's manufacturing history. We had three massive auto plants, a huge aviation plant, textiles, extensive freight rail and trucking facilities, packaging, concrete, quarrying, building materials, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-09-2019, 05:45 PM
 
Location: 30080
2,218 posts, read 3,532,135 times
Reputation: 1659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
https://www.city-journal.org/atlanta-growth

Thoughts on this?

I havent really checked around but I'm pretty sure most of the GDP in this country resides in the Pacific region, with San Francisco currently having the highest. How does Atlanta fair against eastern cities in this realm? Reason I state is it seems our GDP flows from west to east gradually weakening the further east it flows so I'm not real sure it's fair to compare it to places like Los Angeles, San Francisco, ect in this attribute.

Never really took much heart into mind over this but the growth from 1.4 to 6 million people between 1960 to current is pretty insane... but I do feel the article is right about Atlanta now facing competition that it never had to before (Nashville, Charlotte, smaller and growing sunbelt metros)



Well yea, it's going to become a competition with smaller growing metros because Atlanta is basically becoming the same reason that people left places like LA and NYC. Over crowded and unaffordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top