U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 05:47 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,532,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Are you and your neighbors willing to pay for that?

Heavy rail to where 400 and hwy 20 intersect is 22 miles @ $200 million per mile that equals $4.4 billion

A rail line from the Dunwoody Station to the Braves stadium is 8 miles @ $200 million = $1.6 billion

Light rail lines in N Fulton and S Forsyth would probably be another $1 billion

That's $7 billion just to serve N Fulton and S Forsyth.

How about the city give the people a chance to actually vote on it like most other normal places do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 11:02 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,254,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I think it points out that Atlanta has started resting on its laurels and not planned for future growth by improving infrastructure. It doesn't mention water & sewer, but that is a factor as well.

"... Its freeways are among the nation’s widest but also the most congested. Atlanta failed to rearchitect its freeway network as it grew, retaining its sixties-era beltway-and-spoke system. By contrast, Houston is working on its third beltway. The net result: Atlanta outside its I-285 perimeter is by far the most developed urban area in the world without non-radial freeways, according to demographer Wendell Cox. The metro area has the nation’s third-lowest share of jobs accessible to the average commuter in 30 minutes or less...."

Yes! Someone else see what I see.

I want to post this in every thread where the anti-roads crowd is preaching.

We need a multi-pronged approach for the future's mobility.

Atlanta is a service-oriented economy isn't it? Hair salons, cheap cafes, automobile-related businesses.

One of you seems to suggest we need to grow a specialty niche industry to ensure there's always a presence in Atlanta.

Hip hop and movie production are two so far.

I like the diversity, people move here by choice as much as they do for work reasons.

But Atlanta's COL is on the downswing because of so much that isn't functioning well.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:32 AM

3,531 posts, read 3,074,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
How about the city give the people a chance to actually vote on it like most other normal places do?
Not gonna lie though, if GA announced a 7 billion dollar MARTA expansion I wouldn’t want Cobb and Gwinnett to vote it down. Certain transit initiatives are just necessary despite whether people want to pay for it or not.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:19 AM

2,070 posts, read 830,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Not gonna lie though, if GA announced a 7 billion dollar MARTA expansion I wouldn’t want Cobb and Gwinnett to vote it down. Certain transit initiatives are just necessary despite whether people want to pay for it or not.
ding ding ding.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:55 AM
bu2

10,010 posts, read 6,441,414 times
The problem is transit planners are hung up on rail. Very few places have the density in the burbs and concentration of jobs to justify rail to the distant suburbs. Park n ride or brt is infinitely more cost effective. And streetcars are just a waste of money.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:11 AM

29,944 posts, read 27,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The problem is transit planners are hung up on rail. Very few places have the density in the burbs and concentration of jobs to justify rail to the distant suburbs. Park n ride or brt is infinitely more cost effective. And streetcars are just a waste of money.
When you start talking about the distant 'burbs, that's where commuter rail comes into play. And BRT done right may be more cost effective than rail but it's not inexpensive.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:25 AM
bu2

10,010 posts, read 6,441,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
When you start talking about the distant 'burbs, that's where commuter rail comes into play. And BRT done right may be more cost effective than rail but it's not inexpensive.
Commuter rail is less expensive than hrt or lrt if you have existing row you can use but it doesn’t provide as good a service as bus with hot/hov lanes or dedicated row. And you simply don’t need the.capacity of rail

Old 07-10-2019, 11:06 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,836,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
The $7 billion in transit would only benefit N Fulton and Forsyth, so it's not reasonable to expect Gwinnett or Cobb to pay for it. There would have to be another list for each of those corridors and those counties would need to vote for the expansion.

This is why transit has gone nowhere in the metro. Building a system that would make an impact would cost so much that no one will vote for it.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:21 PM

13,588 posts, read 22,036,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Yeah, blame the Boomers. It's just that simple.
Amen.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:59 PM

1,228 posts, read 594,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
https://www.city-journal.org/atlanta-growth

Thoughts on this?

I havent really checked around but I'm pretty sure most of the GDP in this country resides in the Pacific region, with San Francisco currently having the highest. How does Atlanta fair against eastern cities in this realm? Reason I state is it seems our GDP flows from west to east gradually weakening the further east it flows so I'm not real sure it's fair to compare it to places like Los Angeles, San Francisco, ect in this attribute.

Never really took much heart into mind over this but the growth from 1.4 to 6 million people between 1960 to current is pretty insane... but I do feel the article is right about Atlanta now facing competition that it never had to before (Nashville, Charlotte, smaller and growing sunbelt metros)
"But the region continues to face structural challenges that suggest it will be difficult to restore boom-era growth. Atlanta is no longer the shiny new thing in the Southeast or the only game in town for talent and employers. Nashville is the new hot city, and Charlotte, Raleigh, and Charleston are booming, too. Migration to Atlanta has significantly slowed. The city welcomed fewer domestic migrants than much smaller Charlotte and Austin did last year, and it’s drawing far fewer immigrants than Dallas, Houston, and even Philadelphia".

This ^^^^ ought to have the state leaders not just Atlanta worried. NC and Tennessee benefit from not having growth concentration in one part of the state as much as Georgia does. Amazon putting a mini-hub in Nashville made a lot of people sit up. And NC has some positive with BB&T taking Suntrust and Charlotte being an American Airlines Hub. Plus NC's road infrastructure is second largest in the U.S. behind Texas, i.e. mobility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or