Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2019, 09:27 AM

815 posts, read 708,355 times

Advertisements

There are three lights at this intersection headed North. Two of the lights turn green, but then there's one light in the middle that stays red for several seconds and then turns green. This has been bugging the heck out of me everytime I go that way. Is it malfunctioning and it's just taking a long time to fix? What is the purpose of that third light in the middle anyway? It seems superfluous. Or is there some purpose for it that I just don't know about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 10:04 AM

11,790 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
There are three lights at this intersection headed North. Two of the lights turn green, but then there's one light in the middle that stays red for several seconds and then turns green. This has been bugging the heck out of me everytime I go that way. Is it malfunctioning and it's just taking a long time to fix? What is the purpose of that third light in the middle anyway? It seems superfluous. Or is there some purpose for it that I just don't know about?

View this: https://goo.gl/maps/zgnMRh9RXJGVJCfY7

It sounds like you're talking about the light that sits in the middle but is centered off to the right near the right lane traffic light. It's supposed to be facing the other way (as it is in google maps) as advanced warning of the presence of the signal for oncoming traffic coming around the curve just ahead of the signal. It sounds like a storm blew in and probably turned it facing the wrong direction. The reason it stays red longer is because its intended to hault opposing traffic until the left turn arrow phase clears.

In short, its functioning as intended, but is facing the wrong direction if you can see the signals while approaching from this direction.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:23 AM

Thanks so much for clearing this up for me Need4Camaro!!

Old 07-09-2019, 10:44 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDreaming01 View Post
Thanks so much for clearing this up for me Need4Camaro!!
Yes Atlanta has always put these extra lone lights in an attempt to alert drivers at curves.

Lately they seem to have installed many new ones.

I don't really care one way or the other about these, but I don't' think they're critical.

Would someone please submit a request on atl311 to adjust this light facing the wrong direction ?

You should download the free app and it quick to report such things.

One burned out bulb on a signal at Sidney Marcus, Buford Hey sat unrepaired for 2 whole years and now another one on that island is out.

I tracking how long this one sits.

If you don't report this twisted signal, it won't get fixed.

No one else will take the time to report, so do a good deed for the city.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:29 AM

11,790 posts, read 7,999,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Yes Atlanta has always put these extra lone lights in an attempt to alert drivers at curves.

Lately they seem to have installed many new ones.

I don't really care one way or the other about these, but I don't' think they're critical.

Would someone please submit a request on atl311 to adjust this light facing the wrong direction ?

You should download the free app and it quick to report such things.

One burned out bulb on a signal at Sidney Marcus, Buford Hey sat unrepaired for 2 whole years and now another one on that island is out.

I tracking how long this one sits.

If you don't report this twisted signal, it won't get fixed.

No one else will take the time to report, so do a good deed for the city.
In reality most localities in the U.S. and Canada do this where curves are present as it can be difficult to detect the signal in the midst of a curve increasing the opportunity of running a red light.

The real issue with this traffic light is the signals themselves are not really secure in their mount onto the mast for proper support, their mounting point on the top allows for alot of free movement versus a mounting point supported in the center, which would require mounting the signals themselves somewhat higher.

This: https://goo.gl/maps/bJYU7N2YegutMRMB8 is a much better supported signal.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
In reality most localities in the U.S. and Canada do this where curves are present as it can be difficult to detect the signal in the midst of a curve increasing the opportunity of running a red light.

The real issue with this traffic light is the signals themselves are not really secure in their mount onto the mast for proper support, their mounting point on the top allows for alot of free movement versus a mounting point supported in the center, which would require mounting the signals themselves somewhat higher.

This: https://goo.gl/maps/bJYU7N2YegutMRMB8 is a much better supported signal.
Yeah, one got twisted at 10th st and the connector and I kept requesting it be adjusted for years, but it always rotated sideways again. It’s permanently fixed now.

Yeah the free swinging signals are plentiful here and not the best mounts.

Since no one confirmed submitting an ATL311 ticket I will.

I have driven through about 35 states and can’t recall anywhere using the extra signal at curves. All I see them do is use a yellow shoulder sign saying signal ahead.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:13 PM

Done. Request # 1149983817

They have 30 days to make the repair.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Done. Request # 1149983817

They have 30 days to make the repair.
You rock architect77! I'll be looking out to see if its fixed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: