U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:58 PM

1,116 posts, read 990,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
You do agree that gentrification is displacing lower-income residents, right?
Could be. But I don't know that they are helpless in the matter like is often implied, and I don't believe it to be racially motivated. I also don't believe it's a prevalent a problem as is often portrayed.

As a for instance, assume a scenario where I chose to rent vs. buying a home, and home values exploded because of corporate and other retail developments in my neighborhood. This causes my rent to jump 50% and I can no longer afford to live there. I would not blame gentrification. I would take some ownership over my rental choice. I would also not feel owned a guarantee that prices would stay moderate in a free market economy. A lot of this really comes down to ones locus of control: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b.../locus-control

In short, are they expecting success to come externally to them, or do they feel internally responsible for their own outcomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 03:48 PM

450 posts, read 160,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
It's more complicated than that. Gentrification doesn't displace people. It's simply a neighborhood getting "hot" and popular, and people moving in. Generally, this is a good thing. It means new residents and revitalization of downtrodden neighborhoods. It usually means improvement of local schools, police services, and new businesses.

Of course, it also means home prices rise. For lower income residents, they can choose to stay in their home in a newly resurging neighborhood and enjoy the decrease in crime and "cleaning up" of public spaces....or they can sell. If they choose to sell, they do so by their own choice and sell at a price way more than they could have ever imagined.

This idea that gentrification is some mass program where residents are literally ripped from their homes, which are then steamrolled and replaced by coffee shops, is ridiculous. The vast majority of complaints about gentrification I hear are not from the supposed "victims" but from other people who have decided to virtue signal on their behalf.

So you've never once in your life heard of property tax?

Some of yall can't be this tone deaf.

Old Today, 06:29 PM
bu2

10,048 posts, read 6,448,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
So you've never once in your life heard of property tax?

Some of yall can't be this tone deaf.
Heard of mortgages? Its a way to partly cash in and pay for those taxes.

Old Today, 06:31 PM
bu2

10,048 posts, read 6,448,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
This debate always seems to be futile. The overall gentrification argument that is, not the poorly thought out brochure....

If a neighborhood is more than rough around the edges... if it has derelict properties and vacancies and crime and all the other negative ills that go along with it, isn't there room for improvement to better the place, bring in businesses and make it a safe place to live?

Is there a lesser level that it should aspire to so it doesn't increase the value exponentially? Maybe not too trendy and still rough around the edges?

Seems the places that are skyrocketing and seeing trendy businesses and clientele are simply following the old real estate maxim.... location, location, location. Having property near the core of major cities is a thing these days and has been for the past couple of decades.

What is the answer for those being priced out? Keep it derelict and crime ridden? Why wish that on lower income people? Tell only a certain demographic that they are allowed in? Racist, no? What about the pioneers that invested their own money and sweat equity to build up a neighborhood one house by one? Should they not receive a recompense for what was a not a sure thing?

I don't see an easy answer here. I do not think it is a good idea to lump the word gentrification with a broad racist brush. Perhaps it is a reversal of old racist attitudes. White people used to flee at the sight of one black face on the street. That a younger generation of whites is ok being in a diverse neighborhood, is this not a reversal of racism of the past? Or is racism going to always be with us no matter what is done?

I would hate that that is the answer.
There is a natural cycle with neighborhoods. While some gentrify, others degrade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta