U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM

2,057 posts, read 825,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
I would gladly take all of Amazon's IT & data centers for the area.
&
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Agreed.
Everyone roots for and desires for the IT presence then when rents and mortgages soar through the clouds everyone complains. I never understand that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
Well yea... But your family of six is going to have two incomes
$62k is nowhere near enough to support a family of 6 comfortably. That's easily six figure territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM

3,611 posts, read 1,201,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
Well yea... But your family of six is going to have two incomes
Not necessarily.

Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Yes, because Amazon is going to hire a bunch of unemployed people to fill these positions lol. Likely it'll be folks that are already working some type of hard labor job that go there for an extra dollar or two an hour. Nobody that is sitting around drawing government benefits would last a week in one of these positions. And 90% of them won't make it 5 years. The ones that do will end up with bad knees, a bad back and tons of other health problems. Like I said, ive done it. It's a crap job and the workers get treated like garbage.
Huh?

Your post is all over the place.

Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
&

Everyone roots for and desires for the IT presence then when rents and mortgages soar through the clouds everyone complains. I never understand that.
For me, it's not about having an IT presence.

Rather, it's about having employers that pay their workers a decent wages, provides them with decent benefits and treats them with dignity.

I would be perfectly ok with auto assembly plants or other advanced manufacturing, military operations, oil refining facilities, etc. where the pay for unskilled workers is much higher, there's a decent size salaried workforce to support operations (engineers, buyers, planners, etc.) and the jobs are much more secure.

That said, IT happens to be another notable industry where the workers earn a good, stable living.

Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM

Quote:
For me, it's not about having an IT presence.

Rather, it's about having employers that pay their workers a decent wages, provides them with decent benefits and treats them with dignity.

I would be perfectly ok with auto assembly plants or other advanced manufacturing, military operations, oil refining facilities, etc. where the pay for unskilled workers is much higher, there's a decent size salaried workforce to support operations (engineers, buyers, planners, etc.) and the jobs are much more secure.

That said, IT happens to be another notable industry where the workers earn a good, stable living.
Only if you're skilled is IT any more profitable than any other industry. If you are entry level you're not making more than most warehouse workers. If you're intermediate you will be just getting by with most CoL aspects, if you're skilled and fairly heavily certified then you get into the 6 figure range but your job is constantly on the line of being replaced by someone who can do it cheaper or layoffs. They're corporations run by the same greedy management looking to achieve the same thing as a warehouse. Keep operating costs low and productivity high.

See what irritates me about these jobs is people advertising places like Google, Amazon, IBM, Dell moving into an area and automatically assume everyone's going to be making $80k a year and higher when the reality is most of them are capped at 40 - 50k but developers see the presence of these companies alone to just wreck the local economy by driving the costs to live near those facilities through the roof.

Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Only if you're skilled is IT any more profitable than any other industry. If you are entry level you're not making more than most warehouse workers. If you're intermediate you will be just getting by with most CoL aspects, if you're skilled and fairly heavily certified then you get into the 6 figure range but your job is constantly on the line of being replaced by someone who can do it cheaper or layoffs. They're corporations run by the same greedy management looking to achieve the same thing as a warehouse. Keep operating costs low and productivity high.
I understand you work in IT, so I'm sure you know more about the intrinsic details of how those companies operate.

That being said, while you can always find extreme on both ends of the scale to make a point, the average wage for these industries speaks for themselves. According to PayScale, while the avaerage warehouse workers only make $15/hr, the average IT worker makes $78K.

It's hardly a coincidence that the areas nearest to the IT employment opportunities in Atlanta are the most prosperous, amenity-rich and highly sought-after, while the areas where lower quality employment opportunities dominate aren't so much.

Last edited by citidata18; Yesterday at 11:39 PM..

Old Today, 06:27 AM

1,981 posts, read 2,234,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Those jobs are typically high turnover crappy low pay and super high labor jobs.

No one is being forced to work there

Old Today, 06:53 AM

1,219 posts, read 590,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
https://blog.kencogroup.com/top-10-c...ibution-center

Article doesn't state its criteria, but it lists Atlanta #1 place to locate a distribution center.

https://www.us.jll.com/en/trends-and...tistics-trends

Look at Jones, Lang LaSalle list of industrial warehouse square footage by market.
ATL is pretty high at 569 million square feet but then you see
Chicago at 1.2 BILLION square feet
Los Angeles at 774 Million sf and right next door, the Inland Empire at 536 million sf for 1.3 Billion combined
D/FW - 614 million sf.
New Jersey (NY) - 724 million sf.

Top five markets based on new construction - https://www.freightwaves.com/news/ec...uction-markets. Atlanta again ranks high but the IE, D/FW and eastern PA are higher.

Old Today, 07:38 AM

Quote:
I understand you work in IT, so I'm sure you know more about the intrinsic details of how those companies operate.

That being said, while you can always find extreme on both ends of the scale to make a point, the average wage for these industries speaks for themselves. According to PayScale, while the avaerage warehouse workers only make $15/hr, the average IT worker makes $78K.

It's hardly a coincidence that the areas nearest to the IT employment opportunities in Atlanta are the most prosperous, amenity-rich and highly sought-after, while the areas where lower quality employment opportunities dominate aren't so much.
You also have to consider where that $78k is being made at. Is that within Atlanta or the rest of the country? The strongest groups (and highest paying) IT jobs are in the Pacific region currently. If you are receiving $78k in a place like Seattle, that is like $35k in Atlanta. In San Francisco $78k is nearly poverty line and many of those folks some making up to $90k are living out of vans.

Out there you need about $250 - $300k to live as comfortably as you could in Atlanta at $80k

Old Today, 07:38 AM

23,074 posts, read 35,028,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
No one is being forced to work there

I know, right?

It's really an easy concept to get your head around: 1000 jobs coming into town is better than 1000 jobs leaving town. For most, that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or