U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 07:15 PM

1,228 posts, read 594,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Texas has been shifting to this model in busy areas. The older access roads have the entrance after the intersection.

I live in DFW but also lived in metro Atlanta, D.C. and visited quite few major areas. I like the extended highway frontage/feeder roads and u-turns which have enabled a lot of commercial development along the freeways that result in quicker access. In many other cities you have to exit and make a turn onto an intersecting road to get to a commercial development then find your way back to the entrance ramp via the surface road.

But regardless, much of metro Atlanta has a plethora of 2 lane roads with a short turning lane. So regardless, traffic is backed up on the highway and then even on the surface roads. I'm curious, in the past five years, what are the largest "Major" competed road projects in metro Atlanta? Major being an expenditure of $500 million or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 07:20 PM

29,371 posts, read 26,328,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I don't think anyone has really mentioned widening the roads in the area. I think pretty much every recommendation has been a redesign of existing infrastructure. Redesigning entrance and exit ramps, using different intersection types that are more efficient, and improving signal timing.
That, plus this town needs more left turn lanes. The way it now, one yahoo getting a sausage biscuit on the way to school can tie up traffic for an entire area.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:27 PM

10,558 posts, read 7,518,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I suggest you try driving it regularly before saying these things are useless.
Ha. Funny enough, I grew up right around there and drove it daily.

If y'all want to do some small / affordable improvements focused on safety and slowing down traffic, that makes sense. But talking about things like doing an overpass at Briarcliff and Clairmont is nuts.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:28 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,853,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
ART bus line is planned to go right through there as CQ pointed out.

Spending millions trying to increase car-volume through the interchange does not make any of things you mention better. It just results in more traffic. We don't need more traffic on the roads in that area.
I agree, "we don't need more traffic on the roads in that area." We all agree about that, and we agreed about it before the new construction projects began, but the buildings are going up, and the traffic IS coming.

As wonderful as transit and cycling are, we need to help the people who need to drive their cars: who need to drop off their kids, who are old, sick, running errands, carrying the tools of their trade, those who don't want to be a rained-on or sweaty mess when they get to work, who are delivering goods, who are nurses on the nightshift. . .those of us who are trying to go from 85N to right on Clairmont every morning of every weekday, those people.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:31 PM

Thing about interchanges / roads that are at capacity is that they cannot bring in more traffic unless you expand them.

Leave them as they are and let people find their own alternatives to driving through this area.

Old 07-13-2019, 07:53 PM

1,803 posts, read 1,853,764 times
Quote:
Thing about interchanges / roads that are at capacity is that they cannot bring in more traffic unless you expand them.

Leave them as they are and let people find their own alternatives to driving through this area.
Really? Build huge new buildings that provide critical, medical services to children and employ 100s (if not 1000s) of staff and not accommodate the traffic? In an area that is already a destination. There really isn't a way to avoid the area. I drop my child off at school on Clairmont between Briarcliff and N. Druid Hills. There are over a dozen schools in the triangle formed by N. Druid Hills, I85 and LaVista, the majority private. There are countless homes, businesses, places of worship and office buildings as well. The area is a destination--we aren't all driving through.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:07 PM

Yep. Many of the fastest growing areas of the metro are not only not expanding roads, they are doing road diets. Midtown. Decatur. PCM area.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:25 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,255,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
modcut

Traffic around the I-85/Clairmont interchange is a complete cluster, especially in the evenings. The main backups are from 85 northbound and Clairmont southbound. 85 traffic spills back all the way to the interstate, and I've seen Clairmont traffic back up as far as Buford Highway!

I see some big problems with the design. One is that all this traffic is trying to squeeze into just two lanes going south on Clairmont. Another is that 85/Clairmont is a fairly standard intersection but with U-turns and access roads. It's a very common design you see in places with a lot of access roads such as in Texas. Third, the intersection just south at Briarcliff forms a bottleneck.

This whole area needs to be reworked.

1. The offramp from 85 northbound needs to be moved back at least half a mile. Too much merging and weaving in a short distance. Wouldn't hurt to move back the onramp to I-85S either.

2. Forbid left turns on or off Clairmont between 85 and Briarcliff. I don't care how much of a hassle that creates for businesses and residents there, those left turns are just adding to the problem. They can do U-turns elsewhere on Clairmont.

3. Right turns from 85N access to Clairmont southbound needs to be two lanes with full right-of-way with a "keep moving" arrangement. This means we've now got 4 southbound lanes on Clairmont, but because of #2, we can use the existing center turn lane as one of these southbound lanes. End the rightmost lane at some distance south of 85.

4. Turn Briarcliff into an overpass over Clairmont. It will have to be seen whether this bridge should be just north or just south of the current alignment.

5. Build a short connecting road between Clairmont and Briarcliff with traffic lights on both ends like this. This would either go southeast or southwest of the existing intersection.

Another option is to rework the 85/Clairmont interchange itself, but the access roads limit the options. DDIs are out of the question; SPUIs could work.

This would take a lot of resources and would displace some businesses, but this stretch of Clairmont (and Briarcliff) has got to get fixed.
All great suggestions that you should be sending to Division 7 of GDOT, submitting on their website, and submitting on the public comment portal about the Express Lanes for I-285.

I once sent my long list of suggestions to every name I could find with @dot.ga.gov. I had people from South Georgia saying "how'd you get my email address, lol.

Go to their website and submit comments in the Express Lane Section even though it's about Clairmont.'

Or got to District 7's office in person in Brookhaven sorta near the Walmart, a sign to the office is on Peachtree. Ask them who to direct the suggestions to.

I went through Clairmont/ 85 recently and noticed the interstate shields over lanes needed replacing.

And again I will tout my success in getting all the access road overhead signs replaced after several requests. They had faded completely blank, but this area is Latino so they don't care that much.

Same neglect on all of those arterials crossing I-85 all the way up to Jimmy Carter.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:35 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,255,864 times
Quote:
Yep. Many of the fastest growing areas of the metro are not only not expanding roads, they are doing road diets. Midtown. Decatur. PCM area.
Yes, they are walkable areas getting complete streets treatment, or traffic calming.

It's so unintelligent to apply one talking point to the entirety of highways and the metro.

Backed up cars pollutes the air far more, shorting lives, causing asthma and raising healthcare costs.

Not to mention loss productivity, loss of people's free time, less time with family.

This thread is about lengthening an off ramp for queueing, and right turns keeping in motion without yielding.

The signals near all interstates should be culled as it blocks all directions from moving at all during rush hours.

Nothing he suggested is about expanding roads, or capacity or anything, it was about better, safer movement of existing traffic for a city that will be 8 million soon with cars still a primary transportation mode.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:35 PM

5,102 posts, read 3,309,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
I'm curious, in the past five years, what are the largest "Major" competed road projects in metro Atlanta? Major being an expenditure of $500 million or more.
Here's a list:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That, plus this town needs more left turn lanes. The way it now, one yahoo getting a sausage biscuit on the way to school can tie up traffic for an entire area.
Oh, I know. Moore's Mill westbound in the afternoon backs up for half a mile or more at Wesley, even though 90% of the cars are going straight through the light. One left-turner stops the entire road for the whole light cycle.

Quote:
Ha. Funny enough, I grew up right around there and drove it daily.
So, 10-15 years ago?

Quote:
But talking about things like doing an overpass at Briarcliff and Clairmont is nuts.
This I can agree with. Although, I have thought about and wished for Bolton Road to get a bridge over Marietta Blvd. It's a huge bottleneck for the area, with backups on Bolton/Moore's Mill and on Marietta Blvd. stretching some 3/4 of a mile most afternoons. It's an area with no feasible alternative route around.

Quote:
You don't really need extra capacity sometimes. Just better design. Sometimes, that just means reconfiguring intersections to handle the flow. For instance, a longer right turn lane or the addition of a left turn lane could work wonders in many areas. Getting rid of red left turn arrows at some intersections where visibility is not a problem would help greatly. Hell, just retiming lights at some intersections where signal phases can last 3.5 minutes for one major road, and less than a minute for the intersecting major road, or where the signal phases prefer the small road over the major road.

Quote:
Most of those roads are nowhere near capacity. Juniper, West Peachtree, and Spring are nowhere close to operating at capacity, so a road diet doesn't make much of a difference. Around PCM, going from a narrow-lanes six-lane road with no turn lanes to a wider-laned four lane road with turn lanes will operate much better. But, what do you think it would be like if Moreland went down to one lane each way? Not pretty.

Last edited by samiwas1; 07-13-2019 at 09:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta