U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 09:29 PM

2,303 posts, read 2,273,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Sam- You are proposing rebuilding the roads / interchange in that area to increase the number of cars, correct?
If you read the original post you would know that it's small modifications to lanes and curbs, not even close to millions of dollars to implement.

They are all sensible improvements based on actual usage data..Many should have been implemented decades ago, but here in Georgia, no one is looking for possible improvements.

Yeah extra cars will sense the free-flowing intersection and fly through the air across metro atlanta to utilize and clog up the sections of pavement without a car sitting on top of them.

The talk of the town will be all the new residential development off of Clairmont that will result in thousands of additional cars flocking there because of the longer exit ramp that no longer has cars queuing and backed up in the actual travel lanes of I-85 which is blocking through traffic from getting past that interchange, like a domino effect negatively impacting all adjacent roads from that one specific pinch point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 07:26 AM

23,508 posts, read 17,670,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
No, no, no, cq's right....

You can't build your way out of this problem. Throw a bunch of buses at it. That should right things!
Actually "flooding the zone with buses" is arjay's solution for transit. Buses operating in managed lanes, that are tolled to keep the speed limit at least 45 mph will increase the capacity of the lane as buses hold more people than 1 car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Here's a list:
Most of those roads are nowhere near capacity. Juniper, West Peachtree, and Spring are nowhere close to operating at capacity, so a road diet doesn't make much of a difference. Around PCM, going from a narrow-lanes six-lane road with no turn lanes to a wider-laned four lane road with turn lanes will operate much better. But, what do you think it would be like if Moreland went down to one lane each way? Not pretty.
Moreland is where I depart from other other "intown car haters." I do not think Moreland is appropriate for a road diet and should remain 4 lanes. The Complete Street project thru L5P is helpful, as it removed 2 thru lanes and replaced with a protected left turn lane at Euclid & McLendon.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:07 AM

10,636 posts, read 7,566,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
If you read the original post you would know that it's small modifications to lanes and curbs, not even close to millions of dollars to implement.

They are all sensible improvements based on actual usage data..Many should have been implemented decades ago, but here in Georgia, no one is looking for possible improvements.

Yeah extra cars will sense the free-flowing intersection and fly through the air across metro atlanta to utilize and clog up the sections of pavement without a car sitting on top of them.

The talk of the town will be all the new residential development off of Clairmont that will result in thousands of additional cars flocking there because of the longer exit ramp that no longer has cars queuing and backed up in the actual travel lanes of I-85 which is blocking through traffic from getting past that interchange, like a domino effect negatively impacting all adjacent roads from that one specific pinch point.

The original post includes turning Briarcliff @ Clairmont into an overpass. I assure you that will easily cost millions, likely tens of millions if not more.

Also things like "two lanes with full right-of-way with a "keep moving" arrangement" cannot be done unless you add two additional lanes onto Clairmont for them to turn on to without conflict.

Lastly no, There will not be a boom is development along Clairmont because of this rebuilt interchange. Mostly because zoning there does not permit much. But more so because faster moving cars are not associated with a development boom.

Look at the places where there is a development boom around Atlanta. You will find they are deliberately slowing cars and offering multi-modal options. Places like Decatur where they have done road diets have added more density and also resulted in less traffic: In Decatur, More Density And Road Diets Means Less Traffic

Do you really want you and your children living on a street with cars flying down it at 50mph? Neither does anyone else.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:55 AM

5,275 posts, read 4,310,884 times
Quote:
All great suggestions that you should be sending to Division 7 of GDOT, submitting on their website, and submitting on the public comment portal about the Express Lanes for I-285.

I once sent my long list of suggestions to every name I could find with @dot.ga.gov. I had people from South Georgia saying "how'd you get my email address, lol.

Go to their website and submit comments in the Express Lane Section even though it's about Clairmont.'

Or got to District 7's office in person in Brookhaven sorta near the Walmart, a sign to the office is on Peachtree. Ask them who to direct the suggestions to.

I went through Clairmont/ 85 recently and noticed the interstate shields over lanes needed replacing.

And again I will tout my success in getting all the access road overhead signs replaced after several requests. They had faded completely blank, but this area is Latino so they don't care that much.

Same neglect on all of those arterials crossing I-85 all the way up to Jimmy Carter.
Thanks, I might take you up on that.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:12 PM

5,275 posts, read 4,310,884 times
Quote:
It is insulting to get the same tone-deaf statements over and over.

It has been stated a million times that solving congestion is not the reason for road capacify to stay commensurate with population.

The thread is about making an exit to an arterial road function better and smoother that it currently does. No expansion of capacity is involved, but rather dealing with the same traffic better with less pollution from idling.
Correct. I do not want to see Clairmont widened to three lanes except for maybe a small stretch just south of 85 to soak up merging traffic.

Come to think of it, they could redo the 85N-to-Clairmont south: I know I keep going back and forth on this, but here are my latest thoughts:

1. Make the center-right lane that currently goes both right and straight to right-only. The center-left lane allows for left and straight traffic, and not too many cars go straight through onto 85N. A lot more cars turn right onto Clairmont. The far-right turn lane gets a "Keep Moving" sign, the center-right turn does not, and on Clairmont these two lanes are separated for a bit by plastic pylons.

2. Remove southbound Clairmont's center left-turn lane all the way down to my proposed intersection to the Briarcliff cut-off. There, the far-left lane becomes a left-turn-only lane, after which the center lane re-emerges.

You'll still need to expand some right-of-way south on Clairmont and cut into some of that rock, but this is only a hundred feet or so.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:20 PM

5,143 posts, read 3,341,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Moreland is where I depart from other other "intown car haters." I do not think Moreland is appropriate for a road diet and should remain 4 lanes. The Complete Street project thru L5P is helpful, as it removed 2 thru lanes and replaced with a protected left turn lane at Euclid & McLendon.
Yup. 6-lane undivided roads are not a good idea for anything or anyone, especially if the lanes are 9-10' wide. Given 60' of street width, I'd rather have four 10.5' lanes, a 10' center turn lane, and two 4' bike lanes. With a little additional width, those could go a little wider.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:24 PM

29,453 posts, read 26,447,165 times
Just give me a left turn lane and as far as I'm concerned we can have bike lanes galore.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:55 PM
bu2

10,109 posts, read 6,502,773 times
Quote:
Yup. 6-lane undivided roads are not a good idea for anything or anyone, especially if the lanes are 9-10' wide. Given 60' of street width, I'd rather have four 10.5' lanes, a 10' center turn lane, and two 4' bike lanes. With a little additional width, those could go a little wider.
Better is 70' and you can be divided and periodically add left turn lanes!

Old 07-15-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
One of NCDOT's lessor known efforts is adding pedestrian refuges on every road statewide that is like Buford Highway before it was modified.

In my small hometown the main thoroughfare, US401, is 5 lanes with a continuous center turning lane, built in the 1970s.

They are converting the center turn lane into a raised median with landscaping and designated spots for left turns and u-turns.

Perhaps you've been in NC and seen the yellow signs of two downward arrows indicating an upcoming concrete curb that will separate a left turn lane from the thru lane.

So L5P's concrete pavement was a former complete streets effort?

I think the grassy island was just cut for the first time this year. That section under the train tracks needs some TLC of better routine maintenance.

Moreland is a workhorse for sure.

I requested to Public Works to fix the uncompliant radiused corner at North Avenue by at least removing the raised concrete but no action.

That is limiting how many cars get through each light cycle at rush hour and exacerbating air pollution.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:21 PM

Juniper from its origin at 14th St to Ponce is so backed up now during rush periods that walking is practically faster.

I welcome a pretty makeover but I hope they have accommodate the people who use that road en masse.

Ponce de Leon's lane reconfiguration has been tolerable, but it definitely filled up the 2 new travel lanes.

I had the courage and was alert enough to take advantage of the unused inner lanes including Peachtree Rd. heading into Buckhead. I loved it and could zoom past hundreds of cars all in the center lane doing 25 mph.

That is a huge phenomenon here, everyone sticks to the middle lane because the right lane likely has damaging drains and pockmarks in the pavement. Inner lanes require vigilance to use, and thus everyone in center lane is limited to speeds favored by grandma on our main thoroughfares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta