U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2019, 02:59 PM
 
4,422 posts, read 4,072,965 times
Reputation: 3569

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
Also the market is more competitive, esp in IT.

Your average increase yearly is say, 3-4%. Jump to a new company and its 10%, or for me the past two times nearly 20%.

Yeah kinda had to turn down a $10-20K increase vs staying in 1 spot and moving up $1-2K per year. Most IT jobs in ATL seem to be $40-50K starting, some $50-70K, but It would take you 10yrs to make the progress of 1 jump sometimes vs being loyal to a company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2019, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Chamblee, GA
310 posts, read 198,807 times
Reputation: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I wish 100 of them would relocate to the Eastside of town lol. Sick of driving 1hr 20-1hr40 during rush hour to go to work.
Yeah but the eastside doesn't have the municipal fiber optic network, the power redundicies nor the sheer amount of datacenters Alpharetta does.

There's a reason why Alpharetta is developing out the way it is with all those mixed use developments and walkability. Part of that is to attract more talent and even more companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 03:01 PM
 
2,092 posts, read 839,219 times
Reputation: 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I often hear it said that people change jobs more often now but I wonder if that is actually true? Back in my day it was common to see folks change jobs fairly often.

Part of it is that with a stronger economy folks may be more willing to jump around.


Trends in Employee Tenure, 1983–2018
https://www.ebri.org/content/trends-...nure-1983-2018
Problem in IT is, once you sign an agreement and accept the job offer, it's very hard to get a raise and sometimes even promotions from within the company. I literally even had one job tell me if I wanted annual raised that I should have negotiated that in my contract. While they often 'say' they promote from within, I find it seldomly to be the case. Of course it still happens but employees looking to progress their career or salary more often than not have to look for another job regardless of how much they plea for a salary increase or higher level position. Top that with alot of companies using hiring agencies rather than directly onboarding, once you're in your salary is typically capped from the start...that's IF you dont find yourself in a layoff situation.

Some companies dont even provide annual raises or bonuses, and the ones that still do have very weak increases. I've left several companies for stronger pay, each one progressively becoming the strongest pay I have ever had for that period of time....

I personally do not believe in job security anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 03:02 PM
 
4,422 posts, read 4,072,965 times
Reputation: 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
Yeah but the eastside doesn't have the municipal fiber optic network, the power redundicies nor the sheer amount of datacenters Alpharetta does.

There's a reason why Alpharetta is developing out the way it is with all those mixed use developments and walkability. Part of that is to attract more talent and even more companies.

Maybe they should develop the airport area more, that reverse commute would be easy, just a noisy area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Chamblee, GA
310 posts, read 198,807 times
Reputation: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Yeah kinda had to turn down a $10-20K increase vs staying in 1 spot and moving up $1-2K per year. Most IT jobs in ATL seem to be $40-50K starting, some $50-70K, but It would take you 10yrs to make the progress of 1 jump sometimes vs being loyal to a company.
Yeah - I hate that to be the fact that whatever you start at, you're almost "locked" in on that salary grid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Chamblee, GA
310 posts, read 198,807 times
Reputation: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Maybe they should develop the airport area more, that reverse commute would be easy, just a noisy area.
For tech, that's a large investment to do just that. It would make more sense to develop the airport area more with import/export, logistics type companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 03:12 PM
 
267 posts, read 162,400 times
Reputation: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
For tech, that's a large investment to do just that. It would make more sense to develop the airport area more with import/export, logistics type companies.
Yes, I think logistics is what comes to your mind first when you think about the area around airport. It can be the logistics hub of the south if planned and developed carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 03:16 PM
 
450 posts, read 160,794 times
Reputation: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I wish 100 of them would relocate to the Eastside of town lol. Sick of driving 1hr 20-1hr40 during rush hour to go to work.
I swear.

I work in IT and while a job is a job I so hate that at least 50% of the opportunities are waaay up 400 and I am just over that commute after having a few jobs up there in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 03:38 PM
 
2,092 posts, read 839,219 times
Reputation: 1668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
I swear.

I work in IT and while a job is a job I so hate that at least 50% of the opportunities are waaay up 400 and I am just over that commute after having a few jobs up there in the past.
Another crappy thing is alot of those jobs up there dont pay anywhere near enough to live up that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2019, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Chamblee, GA
310 posts, read 198,807 times
Reputation: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
I swear.

I work in IT and while a job is a job I so hate that at least 50% of the opportunities are waaay up 400 and I am just over that commute after having a few jobs up there in the past.
Yeah, I figured early on that that "IT Corridor" of GA is literally Midtown > Buckhead > Sandy Springs > Alpharetta with some outliers in Norcross, Marietta and Johns Creek for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top