U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 05:16 PM

451 posts, read 160,794 times

Advertisements

Like, I wouldn’t even complain if Marta rail went up to Windward PKWY. I’d probably prefer it to other locations when it’s time to move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 08:12 PM

1,256 posts, read 601,227 times
You would with 700 so-called Tech companies, the region would be top 10 but never have I've seen metro Atlanta in anyone's top 10 or 15 ranking. Norther California, Seattle, NYC, Boston, Austin, Dallas, L.A. and Raleigh's Research Triangle are consistently the places I hear are Tech Hubs. Best I've seen is 19 on a listing. Makes me wonder if this Alpharetta story is al about quantity not quality or real revenue impact?

Old 07-15-2019, 08:48 PM

6,393 posts, read 3,493,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
You would with 700 so-called Tech companies, the region would be top 10 but never have I've seen metro Atlanta in anyone's top 10 or 15 ranking. Norther California, Seattle, NYC, Boston, Austin, Dallas, L.A. and Raleigh's Research Triangle are consistently the places I hear are Tech Hubs. Best I've seen is 19 on a listing. Makes me wonder if this Alpharetta story is al about quantity not quality or real revenue impact?
A lot are small companies and startups. Nonetheless it’s a good number. And Alpharetta-Perimeter-Atlanta definitely is a FinTech hub.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:09 AM
fzx

385 posts, read 388,825 times
Quote:
Good point.

However, we have to start from somewhere and a sizable YOY increase is a good thing to celebrate. We are losing so many GaTech talents to other areas. But at least we have GaTech and have the hope to keep some of them eventually. Lots of people prefer to be close to families. And GaTech recruits a lot of locals.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:55 AM

1,122 posts, read 1,797,176 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what lists you've seen but I've seen Atlanta in the top ten to 15 on several lists. These lists vary greatly besides the few usual suspects. I've seen some lists where Dallas hasn't been in and some that include places like St. Louis and Miami that I wouldn't expect to be on there. For large cities the ones that I consistently see are Northern California, Seattle, Austin, Research Triangle, DC, Boston. I see Dallas, LA, New York on most lists which you would expect just on there sheer population size alone. I guess its dependent on the ranking whether it's the percentage of tech jobs relative to the overall economy or the total number of tech jobs will make a big difference.

These lists have Atlanta high or talk about how the tech scene is growing rapidly.. I've seen a lot of lists that have Atlanta high and a lot that don't. It may not be a top 10 market but it's definitely in the top 20 at the point and probably approaching at least top 15 if you look at the total number of tech jobs I would guess.

Atlanta Named One of Top 25 Tech Cities - Cushman & Wakefield Blog

https://www.metroatlantachamber.com/...lent-scorecard

https://www.ajc.com/business/atlanta...VCGnkHgZXQV2K/

https://www.americaninno.com/atlanta...reat-tech-hub/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ta/2982120002/

https://rollingout.com/2019/01/09/at...t-tech-cities/

Old 07-16-2019, 07:59 AM
VJP

660 posts, read 1,448,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I often hear it said that people change jobs more often now but I wonder if that is actually true? Back in my day it was common to see folks change jobs fairly often.

Part of it is that with a stronger economy folks may be more willing to jump around.

Trends in Employee Tenure, 19832018
https://www.ebri.org/content/trends-...nure-1983-2018
Specifically in technology, the path to higher wages is to jump companies, ESPECIALLY as an individual contributor or lower to mid level manager. My longest tenure anywhere has been 5 years since graduation in 04, but averages about 2.5. Staying in one spot is a surefire way to make sure you miss out on 15-50% pay increases, unfortunately.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:14 AM

178 posts, read 76,968 times
Quote:
I would say that many of these are startups, but Alpharetta also has some heavy hitters for tech. There is HP, SAP, Fiserv, and Microsoft all in the area. You also have non-tech companies like Halyard, Neenah Paper, etc. in the area that all employ a lot of people in the area. Alpharetta is also pretty well known for having a lot of data centers (especially ones related to fintech).

Old 07-16-2019, 09:50 AM

2,099 posts, read 839,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
I would say that many of these are startups, but Alpharetta also has some heavy hitters for tech. There is HP, SAP, Fiserv, and Microsoft all in the area. You also have non-tech companies like Halyard, Neenah Paper, etc. in the area that all employ a lot of people in the area. Alpharetta is also pretty well known for having a lot of data centers (especially ones related to fintech).
From personal experience, HP didn't pay very much. Most people there are making under $50k and it's very hard to get onboarded directly today. Most of them are staffed through Insight Global. NCR is also up there but most jobs there pay in the range of $40 - $50k. Cant speak for Microsoft or the others, but even Microsoft in Seattle mainly uses contractors paying around $70 - $90k (barely anything in Seattle) specializing in H1B's. The problem is more specific to the Industry than Alpharetta persee but it aggravates me because people pine for these high tech companies to set foot and they turn out to pay no more than anyone else while heavily inflating the cost of living.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:16 AM

178 posts, read 76,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
From personal experience, HP didn't pay very much. Most people there are making under $50k and it's very hard to get onboarded directly today. Most of them are staffed through Insight Global. NCR is also up there but most jobs there pay in the range of $40 - $50k. Cant speak for Microsoft or the others, but even Microsoft in Seattle mainly uses contractors paying around $70 - $90k (barely anything in Seattle) specializing in H1B's. The problem is more specific to the Industry than Alpharetta persee but it aggravates me because people pine for these high tech companies to set foot and they turn out to pay no more than anyone else while heavily inflating the cost of living.

I don't think the tech companies are the only things that make the Alpharetta area and nearby suburbs much more expensive. To begin, you have some of the best schools in the entire state near Alpharetta/Johns Creek/Milton with Northview, Alpharetta, Johns Creeks, Cambridge, Milton. Then, you have a lot of high end amenities so much so that you don't really have to go Bukchead if you want to shop. It is an ebb and flow. Companies locate to the area because of the good environment. People move to the area because of the good environment and companies.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:28 AM

3,625 posts, read 1,216,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
I don't think the tech companies are the only things that make the Alpharetta area and nearby suburbs much more expensive. To begin, you have some of the best schools in the entire state near Alpharetta/Johns Creek/Milton with Northview, Alpharetta, Johns Creeks, Cambridge, Milton. Then, you have a lot of high end amenities so much so that you don't really have to go Bukchead if you want to shop. It is an ebb and flow. Companies locate to the area because of the good environment. People move to the area because of the good environment and companies.
Now we're getting into a chicken vs. egg discussion.

Alpharetta wouldn't have the tax base to support high quality schools nor high end commercial amenities if it wasn't for all of the tech companies who chose to locate there. Those tech companies then employ workers they have to pay very well to attract/maintain, who choose to purchase homes nearby because people place a high value on short commutes.

Much of Alpharetta's prosperity can be attributed to good timing and luck. It exploded and matured at a time where employers and their workers were fleeing the inner city and were seeking the new-ish, safe suburban environment and banks/developers were tripping over themselves to supply the space. It also just so happened to be located in great proximity to the natural attractions people desire (mountains, lakes, etc.).

Last edited by citidata18; 07-16-2019 at 11:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta