U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 06:51 AM

970 posts, read 3,507,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
From personal experience, HP didn't pay very much. Most people there are making under $50k and it's very hard to get onboarded directly today. Most of them are staffed through Insight Global. NCR is also up there but most jobs there pay in the range of $40 - $50k. Cant speak for Microsoft or the others, but even Microsoft in Seattle mainly uses contractors paying around $70 - $90k (barely anything in Seattle) specializing in H1B's. The problem is more specific to the Industry than Alpharetta persee but it aggravates me because people pine for these high tech companies to set foot and they turn out to pay no more than anyone else while heavily inflating the cost of living.
I had just assumed the majority of H1B visa workers in Atlanta are making 6 figures. Otherwise how can they afford to buy up all these $500-$700k new construction subdivisions in Alpharetta/Johns Creek/South Forsyth? You would think a household income of around $200k+ would be needed to support that. And many of them are also financially supporting their parents (as opposed to getting financial help from their parents).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 07:06 AM

2,182 posts, read 863,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
I had just assumed the majority of H1B visa workers in Atlanta are making 6 figures. Otherwise how can they afford to buy up all these $500-$700k new construction subdivisions in Alpharetta/Johns Creek/South Forsyth? You would think a household income of around $200k+ would be needed to support that. And many of them are also financially supporting their parents (as opposed to getting financial help from their parents).
From personal experience, most of them make about half of what American's make performing the same role and seldomly are they any more or less skilled than an average American. It's pretty sad to see it really. Microsoft and Google are known to use contractors whom pay for the flight from India to the USA and 7 days at a hotel. Thats their relocation pay. After that they typically huddle together in a 2 bedroom apartment and use their wages collectively to buy what they want. Most of the money they make does not even stay here in America either, they typically send it back to their families overseas. Note that just because they own $700k homes does not necessarily mean they used that job to get it. They are far more skilled with money management than the average American and at times money also runs in their family.

Also some of those people who own those properties are actual citizens (born on US soil or Green Cards) and not H1B's.

Google is currently trying to get a stronghold in India - and it isn't for talent. They hire people just outside of High School and pay them the equivalent of $2 - 3 Hourly in American dollars. Google wins, and if they complain, they can go unemployed.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:06 AM
fzx

385 posts, read 390,172 times
Quote:
From personal experience, most of them make about half of what American's make performing the same role and seldomly are they any more or less skilled than an average American. It's pretty sad to see it really. Microsoft and Google are known to use contractors whom pay for the flight from India to the USA and 7 days at a hotel. Thats their relocation pay. After that they typically huddle together in a 2 bedroom apartment and use their wages collectively to buy what they want. Most of the money they make does not even stay here in America either, they typically send it back to their families overseas. Note that just because they own $700k homes does not necessarily mean they used that job to get it. They are far more skilled with money management than the average American and at times money also runs in their family.

Also some of those people who own those properties are actual citizens (born on US soil or Green Cards) and not H1B's.

Google is currently trying to get a stronghold in India - and it isn't for talent. They hire people just outside of High School and pay them the equivalent of $2 - 3 Hourly in American dollars. Google wins, and if they complain, they can go unemployed.
I was on H1b for 8 years and have many friends went through the process. Your numbers were way too low.

500K-700K are not daunting numbers if a family has two earners of 100K+ with/without parent support. The true advantage is most of the H1Bs have advanced degrees earned in the U.S. through scholarships.

Last edited by fzx; 07-18-2019 at 09:17 AM..

Old 07-18-2019, 09:34 AM

280 posts, read 167,873 times
Quote:

Your numbers are way too low. We have around 60 H1B workers in our division and the least paid H1B worker makes more than 90k. This is Alpharetta. We have a significant presence in Bay area too and the salaries of H1B workers there are significantly higher..

It's a common misconception that H1B workers are paid lower wages compared to the American counter parts. It actually costs the company a significant money to sponsor a visa - around 10k with the fees to USCIS and the attorney doing the paper work. Also DOL enforces very strict rules that the H1B workers need to be paid the prevailing wage in the area. It's very hard to circumvent these rules..

Old 07-18-2019, 09:47 AM

467 posts, read 165,664 times
All this H1B talk is reminding me of the old Dice forums.

Lol.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:11 AM

2,182 posts, read 863,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzx View Post
I was on H1b for 8 years and have many friends went through the process. Your numbers were way too low.

500K-700K are not daunting numbers if a family has two earners of 100K+ with/without parent support. The true advantage is most of the H1Bs have advanced degrees earned in the U.S. through scholarships.
&

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAtlanta View Post
Your numbers are way too low. We have around 60 H1B workers in our division and the least paid H1B worker makes more than 90k. This is Alpharetta. We have a significant presence in Bay area too and the salaries of H1B workers there are significantly higher..

It's a common misconception that H1B workers are paid lower wages compared to the American counter parts. It actually costs the company a significant money to sponsor a visa - around 10k with the fees to USCIS and the attorney doing the paper work. Also DOL enforces very strict rules that the H1B workers need to be paid the prevailing wage in the area. It's very hard to circumvent these rules..
My numbers are not off as I was a Senior Network Engineer for Hewlett Packard. HPE laid off most of their permanent employees making anything north of $60k and replaced them with Insight Global Contractors and paid them aproximately $45k. It's nothing off about it. That's exactly what happened there.

Sure 2 $100k incomes can support a $700k home.... if you have two that make $100k. Also. Not all H1B's can have two earners. That requires a special Visa which permits their significant other to work in America, without that their significant other is ineligible for employment. That means they're a 1 income family.

It's no misconception. Its reality as I've experienced it quite often. Working in Alpharetta as well as other higher end tech suburbs and cities (Bothell, Bellevue, Irvine, Austin)

Most H1Bs I have encountered - even certified CCNA - CCNP - CCIE - Juniper & Fortinet made no more than $60k max, even with advanced degrees backing them up. Averaging around $35 - $45k. Of course there will be some who make much more, but the lack of talent in America is the biggest misconception known to man. Corporate greed is more prevalent.

They take those jobs not because of the pay but because it gives them a ticket to come to America and generally better work conditions than the country they came from.

I personally also am well into the six figure territory , however; I've seen every end of the stick working my way up to this point. Most corporations treat H1B's like crap.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 07-18-2019 at 10:46 AM..

Old 07-18-2019, 10:24 AM

4,441 posts, read 4,090,998 times
Alot of IT positions in Alpharetta are support positions and most of those are $35-50K jobs with the with Level 2 or 3 type jobs being any were from $55k-70K or $90k+ if its a senior level position.

I really cant see alot of these H1B's making 100K plus, and unless im at the wrong company, I dont really think all these IT jobs are paying $100K + in Alpharetta, as most jobs in America dont want to pay you $50hr plus.. Some yes, but the vast majority arent and if they are, are just contract jobs with no long term future and probably no benefits.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:04 AM

6,480 posts, read 3,541,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAtlanta View Post

I made $35K as a H1B 25 years ago, and 18 months later north of $60K. But I truly had skills that couldn’t be easily found.

The prevailing wage can be circumvented to a degree with more commodity jobs. If you pay a local person $90K to manage a network and they are at a senior/principal level you can pay someone half that at a more junior level. Add in the requirements for multiple certs and suddenly you don’t have a lot of local candidates. But the Indian guy has the certs plus a master’s degree and you can then stipulate that’s the requirement for the $45K job.

But in general I agree, if you are hiring apples to apples you can’t just pay a visa worker $30K when everyone else makes $75K.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:14 AM

970 posts, read 3,507,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Alot of IT positions in Alpharetta are support positions and most of those are $35-50K jobs with the with Level 2 or 3 type jobs being any were from $55k-70K or $90k+ if its a senior level position.

I really cant see alot of these H1B's making 100K plus, and unless im at the wrong company, I dont really think all these IT jobs are paying $100K + in Alpharetta, as most jobs in America dont want to pay you $50hr plus.. Some yes, but the vast majority arent and if they are, are just contract jobs with no long term future and probably no benefits.
This really surprises me. I guess I'm just used to seeing all these South Indian IT workers in new houses and driving nice Audi's, BMW's, etc. Perhaps I'm just seeing a subset of IT workers.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:26 AM
VJP

664 posts, read 1,451,579 times
LOL you guys....

Do you think all Indians walking around are H1B holders? A bunch (probably most) are legal immigrants with greencards/US citizenship. These folks will have BS and (probably) MS degrees in a technical field and will command > $100k mid career with ease. Also, your typical Indian (pick any other kind of asian as well) can stretch a couple hundred grand a year to pile up savings and free cash to afford far more house or car than your typical born and bred American can. It's a skill picked up over a lifetime of growing up pinching pennies and learning monetary value. Don't try to figure it out

Source: Brown guy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta