U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2019, 11:36 AM
 
280 posts, read 167,873 times
Reputation: 383

Advertisements

To add, the average household income of an Indian American family is the highest among all the other groups in the country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...usehold_income

By ancestry

Indian American (2016) : $122,026
Taiwanese American (2016) : $90,221
Filipino American (2016) : $88,745
British American (2016) : $79,872
Austrian American (2016) : $78,127
Russian American (2016): $77,841
Latvian American (2016): $77,636
Bulgarian American (2016): $76,861
Lithuanian American (2016) : $76,694
Israeli American (2016) : $76,584
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2019, 11:38 AM
 
280 posts, read 167,873 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Alot of IT positions in Alpharetta are support positions and most of those are $35-50K jobs with the with Level 2 or 3 type jobs being any were from $55k-70K or $90k+ if its a senior level position.


I really cant see alot of these H1B's making 100K plus, and unless im at the wrong company, I dont really think all these IT jobs are paying $100K + in Alpharetta, as most jobs in America dont want to pay you $50hr plus.. Some yes, but the vast majority arent and if they are, are just contract jobs with no long term future and probably no benefits.
There are a lot of programming/development jobs in Alpharetta and our company is one such shop. Most of the developers with 5-7 years of experience command close to six figure incomes, at least in the companies I have worked so far in Alpharetta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 11:45 AM
VJP
 
Location: Decatur, GA
664 posts, read 1,451,579 times
Reputation: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAtlanta View Post
There are a lot of programming/development jobs in Alpharetta and our company is one such shop. Most of the developers with 5-7 years of experience command close to six figure incomes, at least in the companies I have worked so far in Alpharetta.
Same applies in telecom and network engineering (of which there is plenty in Alpharetta). Not IT admin type jobs but actual architecture, network deployment, system engineering, etc. 7 years in this is a $100k field, which makes you the ripe old age of 29 or 31 depending on how much schooling you did.

This is not even counting being a technical part of a sales team where some comp might be commission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 12:29 PM
 
2,182 posts, read 863,674 times
Reputation: 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
LOL you guys....

Do you think all Indians walking around are H1B holders? A bunch (probably most) are legal immigrants with greencards/US citizenship. These folks will have BS and (probably) MS degrees in a technical field and will command > $100k mid career with ease. Also, your typical Indian (pick any other kind of asian as well) can stretch a couple hundred grand a year to pile up savings and free cash to afford far more house or car than your typical born and bred American can. It's a skill picked up over a lifetime of growing up pinching pennies and learning monetary value. Don't try to figure it out

Source: Brown guy
I agree to this. My argument specifically was directed at those who are H1B's and that it's not as pretty as most people think it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 12:45 PM
 
2,182 posts, read 863,674 times
Reputation: 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAtlanta View Post
To add, the average household income of an Indian American family is the highest among all the other groups in the country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...usehold_income

By ancestry

Indian American (2016) : $122,026
Taiwanese American (2016) : $90,221
Filipino American (2016) : $88,745
British American (2016) : $79,872
Austrian American (2016) : $78,127
Russian American (2016): $77,841
Latvian American (2016): $77,636
Bulgarian American (2016): $76,861
Lithuanian American (2016) : $76,694
Israeli American (2016) : $76,584
You are speaking of people who were born here or obtained citizenship. I am speaking of people who are coming here on work assignments. They have ALOT less protections than natives of this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2019, 02:25 PM
 
280 posts, read 167,873 times
Reputation: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
You are speaking of people who were born here or obtained citizenship. I am speaking of people who are coming here on work assignments. They have ALOT less protections than natives of this country.
I agree and I think I over-generalized but at least from my experience I haven't seen many H1B holders making less than market wages..There are probably companies that try to circumvent the rules but it's not that easy..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2019, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Chamblee, GA
313 posts, read 200,715 times
Reputation: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Alot of IT positions in Alpharetta are support positions and most of those are $35-50K jobs with the with Level 2 or 3 type jobs being any were from $55k-70K or $90k+ if its a senior level position.


I really cant see alot of these H1B's making 100K plus, and unless im at the wrong company, I dont really think all these IT jobs are paying $100K + in Alpharetta, as most jobs in America dont want to pay you $50hr plus.. Some yes, but the vast majority arent and if they are, are just contract jobs with no long term future and probably no benefits.
Wrong job and or niche then

I know the T2/T3/Sr network engineers at E*Trade make six figures as an example. It's not hard within 5-6 years in Alpharetta to go from making $35k to $100k+ if you do it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM
VJP
 
Location: Decatur, GA
664 posts, read 1,451,579 times
Reputation: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
Wrong job and or niche then

I know the T2/T3/Sr network engineers at E*Trade make six figures as an example. It's not hard within 5-6 years in Alpharetta to go from making $35k to $100k+ if you do it right.
You don't even have to 'do it right' so much as just take some risk and go for good opportunities and continue to learn. You don't even have to network until you get into team lead/lower-middle mgr. And definitely you can take a $50k starting salary to $125k comp in 5-7 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:37 PM
 
4,441 posts, read 4,090,998 times
Reputation: 3574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
Wrong job and or niche then

I know the T2/T3/Sr network engineers at E*Trade make six figures as an example. It's not hard within 5-6 years in Alpharetta to go from making $35k to $100k+ if you do it right.
Agreed, I had a former coworker go there and they are almost making 6 figures. If you find the right company, its possible.


Once you get to T3/Level 3 or Sr Level Positions, $75-100K is more likely. I guess the key is dont get trapped in a lower support position or call center type position too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM
 
2,182 posts, read 863,674 times
Reputation: 1724
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Agreed, I had a former coworker go there and they are almost making 6 figures. If you find the right company, its possible.


Once you get to T3/Level 3 or Sr Level Positions, $75-100K is more likely. I guess the key is dont get trapped in a lower support position or call center type position too long.
I will agree that alot of people do seem to become complacent in lower support roles. Probably because they are intimidated by obtaining necessary certifications and education to advance in their career and make just enough to get by, that and some of them with families simply have the perfect schedule and do not have time to advance in their career - so employers prey on that as well.

Also $75k - $100k is a bit weak for senior positions. $125 - $150k is more the norm. If you get into anything security related, expect that to nearly double. IT is very lucrative, many in this field are making north of $300k

Last edited by Need4Camaro; Yesterday at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top