U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM

525 posts, read 236,469 times

Advertisements

This is a hit.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...rport-64237643
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:57 AM

2,063 posts, read 828,171 times
Does Atlanta proper have the authority to ban smoking in the entire airport of Hartsfield Jackson given that most of the airport does not reside within the city limits but only a very minute section?

I dont smoke nor do I want to be around it but it kind of seems overstepping boundaries in relation to the airport.

Old Today, 07:07 AM

3,615 posts, read 1,204,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Does Atlanta proper have the authority to ban smoking in the entire airport of Hartsfield Jackson given that most of the airport does not reside within the city limits but only a very minute section?

I dont smoke nor do I want to be around it but it kind of seems overstepping boundaries in relation to the airport.
I would think so, since Atlanta owns the airport outright (property rights).

Last edited by citidata18; Today at 07:17 AM..

Old Today, 08:55 AM

23,083 posts, read 35,035,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I would think so, since Atlanta owns the airport outright (property rights).
You would think correctly.

Old Today, 09:24 AM

9,127 posts, read 17,141,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

So does that mean they will be removing the newly renovated Smoking Lounges?

While I am not a smoker, I actually think the Airport SHOULD allow smoking in designated places, like the Smoking Lounges. Most of the passenger that flow thru the Atlanta Airport are just connecting, They have limited amount of time, and can't go "Outside" due to time it takes to get outside, then re-clear security.

Old Today, 09:59 AM

8,320 posts, read 10,267,954 times
Is there any chance they could offer some sort of outdoor area in each terminal? Doesn't seem like it would be THAT hard to do, just make a place like the existing smoking rooms and rip the roof off.

Why they're worried about smoking in a place where people walk around inhaling jet engine fumes is a bit of a mystery to me, but whatevs.

Old Today, 10:32 AM

13,581 posts, read 22,033,104 times
I do think the airport should be exempt from this. An essential element of smoking bans is the freedom to go elsewhere—the freedom of choice. Airports, in this day and age, do not offer this freedom.

Old Today, 10:46 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,057,176 times
Wow, this is way over due. Here in the north, this has been the law of the land for at least 15 years. Congrats!

Old Today, 10:48 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,057,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I do think the airport should be exempt from this. An essential element of smoking bans is the freedom to go elsewhere—the freedom of choice. Airports, in this day and age, do not offer this freedom.
What about the freedom to breath clean air? What about the freedom to not be exposed to carcinogenic filthy air?

Old Today, 12:11 PM

13,581 posts, read 22,033,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
What about the freedom to breath clean air? What about the freedom to not be exposed to carcinogenic filthy air?
Uh, sugar...
You can caveat something to death. Of course any smoking area in an airport would be sequestered, adequately ventilated, etc. That’s a given and common sense. Moreover, see posters/commentary above.

This is not rocket science—an entire airport, with a plethora of ways to handle it, is not the same thing as an enclosed bar, restaurant, or airplane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta