U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:33 AM

967 posts, read 3,500,223 times

Advertisements

If you are ok with older housing stock, I would look at the Chattahoochee HS zone in Johns Creek. It doesnít have the high Asian population of the other districts in the area, and is known as a well-rounded school. I think North Gwinnett HS is another good zone.

Yes a lot of these northern metro Atlanta schools are very competitive. That bring up the whole debate of whatís more important- getting a higher quality education or being able to finish higher in your class rank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:10 AM
fzx

382 posts, read 388,278 times
I am really amused by some of the posts assuming the family is non Asian and prefers to stay in a non Asian dominated area.

…...Although I will speculate they are.

Old Today, 09:14 AM

10,025 posts, read 9,342,248 times
Look into the south Forsyth County area, which borders Johns Creek. Awesome schools and a bit less expensive (taxes) than Johns Creek, which is in higher taxed Fulton County. Don't know what your budget is, but there are some terrific subdivisions in south Forsyth County - St. Marlo, Laurel Springs, Old Atlanta, etc. We lived in St Marlo for years and really loved it - golf course, tennis club, community swimming pool, diverse, nice people, beautifully landscaped.

Good luck!

Old Today, 09:24 AM

8,326 posts, read 10,273,193 times
Quote:
Simpson Elementary is fine and one of the best elementary schools in the county.
Maybe, I don't know about this...but I generally like to look to the future. Elementary school may be fine, but OP would probably want to move to a better district for middle/high school.

Old Today, 09:37 AM

179 posts, read 79,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Maybe, I don't know about this...but I generally like to look to the future. Elementary school may be fine, but OP would probably want to move to a better district for middle/high school.
Norcross High isnít terrible, itís just average compared to the high schools up the road in Johns Creek.

Old Today, 09:53 AM

8,326 posts, read 10,273,193 times
Exactly. I doubt the OP is looking for a school that is just average. Who is?

Old Today, 10:05 AM

16 posts, read 490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
North Gwinnett HS can be somewhat of a competitive environment but it’s only about 20% Asian, nowhere near a majority.
Thank you for the advice!!

Old Today, 10:09 AM

4,369 posts, read 6,038,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
They have Norcross and the new Paul Duke STEM High School.

No idea about the middle school so you might be right.

Old Today, 10:11 AM

16 posts, read 490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
If you are ok with older housing stock, I would look at the Chattahoochee HS zone in Johns Creek. It doesnít have the high Asian population of the other districts in the area, and is known as a well-rounded school. I think North Gwinnett HS is another good zone.

Yes a lot of these northern metro Atlanta schools are very competitive. That bring up the whole debate of whatís more important- getting a higher quality education or being able to finish higher in your class rank.

Old Today, 10:13 AM

16 posts, read 490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Look into the south Forsyth County area, which borders Johns Creek. Awesome schools and a bit less expensive (taxes) than Johns Creek, which is in higher taxed Fulton County. Don't know what your budget is, but there are some terrific subdivisions in south Forsyth County - St. Marlo, Laurel Springs, Old Atlanta, etc. We lived in St Marlo for years and really loved it - golf course, tennis club, community swimming pool, diverse, nice people, beautifully landscaped.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta