U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 08:13 PM

181 posts, read 78,692 times

Advertisements

If you want to look for cheaper rents, try looking at Forsyth (especially around the Cumming area) and Cherokee. These places are both very close to Alpharetta, but they are not as expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 05:24 AM

371 posts, read 436,606 times
the rent is too damn high

Old 07-21-2019, 05:42 PM

5,714 posts, read 8,622,680 times
not here to bash ATL area or anything, I am in the process of researching areas to move away from CA in the next few years as I approach retirement. My goal is to find a 2-3 bd townhome in a suburb of a relatively biggish city for around $200-250k or so. What is important to me is low property taxes and very low HOA fees, i.e. ongoing expenses should be low. That eliminates TX as a choice because property taxes are crazy there. GA is a place I like as I lived very briefly in neighboring AL about 21 years ago...

Alternatives are FL and NC. But ATL has a special appeal to me due to it's very strategic location and huge airport (I love to travel and my plan is to spend 3-4 mos. outside the US when I retire).

Old 07-21-2019, 06:00 PM

3,636 posts, read 1,227,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
not here to bash ATL area or anything, I am in the process of researching areas to move away from CA in the next few years as I approach retirement. My goal is to find a 2-3 bd townhome in a suburb of a relatively biggish city for around $200-250k or so. What is important to me is low property taxes and very low HOA fees, i.e. ongoing expenses should be low. That eliminates TX as a choice because property taxes are crazy there. GA is a place I like as I lived very briefly in neighboring AL about 21 years ago...

Alternatives are FL and NC. But ATL has a special appeal to me due to it's very strategic location and huge airport (I love to travel and my plan is to spend 3-4 mos. outside the US when I retire).
What specifically about Alpharetta peaked your interest, versus other suburbs in ATL?

What you're looking for can be had in ATL, just maybe not in Alpharetta.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 126 times
Quote:
I checked on Craigslist for 1bd apartments around Alpharetta and they seem shockingly expensive... around $1350-1700 which is on par with Southern California rents which are some of the most expensive in the country.

I was under the impression that Atlanta was one of the more affordable metros in the country, this was the last time I looked several years ago.. has this changed?

What are the other areas for more reasonable rents if one is working around Alpharetta?

Edit - think I answered my own question with some searching:

[url]https://www.11alive.com/article/money/whats-behind-the-skyrocketing-rent-prices-in-metro-atlanta/85-534373055[/url]

What is really odd is that even though home prices have increased sharply one could buy a 2bd townhome in Alpharetta around $250-300k or so? That would make the mortgage, taxes and maintenance competitive with the rent.
I lived in Carlsbad and rented a two-bedroom 980 or so sq foot apartment. I paid $1950 and this was in 2011. I looked the other day and that same complex is asking $3200 to $3800 for the same floor plan.

A friend rented a one-bedroom off Rancho Santa Fe Road in Carlsbad/San Marcos area for $1850 which I thought was a great deal. This was two years ago.

Rents use to be really reasonable in Atlanta for years but over the last 5 years have risen to where it is no longer cheap.

I have lived in Atl off and on since 1979 but would go back to SoCal in a minute if I could afford it.

Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM

5,536 posts, read 4,127,413 times
Quote:

Look at Cobb county. At 62 your property taxes drop by almost 60% because you stop paying school taxes.

Old Yesterday, 12:17 AM

6,817 posts, read 6,963,776 times
If you don't have school children, I'd probably choose somewhere other than Alpharetta. Alpharetta is for parents who want excellent public schools for their children or someone who wants to live close to their Tech job in the area. Look towards Cobb or Gwinnett County.

Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM

945 posts, read 937,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Although Metro Atlanta overall is affordable, Alpharetta is the most expensive area in the Metro Atlanta region.
Maybe if youíre solely going by rental rates. Even then, Iíd say the City of Decatur is the most expensive city in Metro Atlanta, then Alpharetta or Brookhaven for 2nd and 3rd. All of them pale in comparison to ITP neighborhoods, but thatís a given.

Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM

945 posts, read 937,699 times
Quote:

Not trying to be funny, but you donít need to be looking in North Fulton on a $250k budget. You should look to Smyrna, which is a nice suburb and much more affordable and closer than Alpharetta. I would also mention Newnan, and maybe even Chamblee (though itís getting expensive so I hear).

Old Today, 08:34 AM

2,123 posts, read 849,210 times
Quote:

Property Taxes are high in TX due to no income Tax. Also they have much lower HOA fees than most of metro Atlanta. All in all it balances it.

Atlanta metro has lower taxes but their HOA fees are pretty ridiculous in some areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or