U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM
bu2

10,049 posts, read 6,448,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
In functionality yes but I think there are two major drawbacks to BRT that would make it much less optimal to HRT.

#1 Its implementation - Unless they design the stations in-line with I--20 with dedicated lane making it so the bus never has to exit and at the very most, seldomly shares ROW with traffic, it's just another graduate xpress bus which in the grand scheme doesn't get the job done. Knowing them they will cheap out on it, especially given its eastern DeKalb just to say they did something to provide transit. On top of this, there will be no direct connection with the Blue Lines existing HRT stations which will add transfers, much in the same way a BRT would do for N.Fulton even if it were designed properly.

#2 Its stigma. Let's face it, most people do not want to use the bus. Especially since there are alternatives such as Uber and Lyft or Rideshare. While a BRT is more dedicated, most people will still see it and recognize it as a bus
The BRT plan along 285 south of Indian Creek requires two (not counting getting from the house) transfers to connect to the HRT. People will come in BRT on I-20, transfer at Wesley Chapel and then have to transfer again at Indian Creek. That's why I prefer HRT south of Indian Creek.

Now if data shows most of those people in SE Dekalb work near Perimeter Mall and downtown and few in the Clifton Corridor and Decatur, then 285 BRT down to I-20 is the best idea. But I don't think that is the case. I know the last study of the Clifton Corridor showed most trips coming from the Gwinnett County/Doraville area or Southeast Dekalb. That's another reason I dislike the light rail plan for the Clifton Corridor. Relatively few trips come from Fulton County except for the immediately adjacent areas (Virginia Highlands). So there is a direct trip from places nobody comes from and you have to transfer to get there from places people actually do come from. Its another Atlanta-centric plan that ignores how the metro works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Making that requirement in the planning process can ensure that the BRT does have in-line stations, like what's proposed for GA 400. If we use the proposed I-285 Express Lane projects as an opportunity to implement BRT in them, then we can have BRT that connects directly to Indian Creek and even serve stations along I-285 to Cumberland and FIB.

The only reason BRT is seen as "just a bus" is because we don't have a good example in Georgia or Atlanta. BRT can be effective transit solution, in the hierarchy of transit service.

LA Silver Line runs in shared, managed lanes and still effective as a BRT in the expressway running sections.
Express buses can be effective. There's no stigma in Houston to park-n-ride or express buses. There are more discretionary and higher income riders than on the rail lines. Those are about 12% of the system ridership.

Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

10,584 posts, read 7,523,108 times
Looking at this map again, and realizing it already does include LRT rail on I-20:

If ridership on the I-20 BRT does end up being as high as some people here think, it will be easy to extend the LRT out I-20 in he BRT lanes.

Still, They should start with BRT on I-20 and expand based on the demand.

Also, it is an oversight to not extent the East-285-BRT down to the airport. There are a lot of jobs there, a lot of travelers, and it would connect with the HRT line.

Old Yesterday, 11:41 AM

23,418 posts, read 17,576,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
This is metro ATL transit authorities we are talking about, and I wouldnt put it past them to have a Rush Hour only BRT like GRTA and them patting themselves on the back like the have done a great job.

A BRT that connect the Eastern Suburbs from Stonecrest , Panola and Wesly Chapel, where alot of folks commute from to the Northen Like Alpharetta without having to stop and get off in Dunwoody, get on a train and then back on another bus would be great.
I believe addresses South DeKalb to North Fulton commuters
Quote:
Making that requirement in the planning process can ensure that the BRT does have in-line stations, like what's proposed for GA 400. If we use the proposed I-285 Express Lane projects as an opportunity to implement BRT in them, then we can have BRT that connects directly to Indian Creek and even serve stations along I-285 to Cumberland and FIB.
DeKalb commissioners renew push for MARTA rail along Interstate 20

Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM

5,247 posts, read 4,290,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
South DeKalb is long overdue for a transit expansion, so I understand why these officials would want HRT east on 20. But the layout of the existing MARTA system and interstates create a particular liability for rail expansion there.

First, you'd have to completely rebuild the Indian Hills station as part of making the Blue line take a southern turn.

Second, the stretch that would be parallel to 285 would be made more difficult by the proposed addition of HOT lanes on 285, squeezing what land is available to build on.

Third, by the time you're at the east side 285/20 interchange, you could have gotten downtown via 20 in much less time. 20 does back up coming into 285 in the mornings, but once you're ITP it's usually smooth sailing until you get downtown. And guess what's downtown? Five Points!

So this makes a rare case of when BRT, if built well enough, would in fact serve an area better than HRT.

Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM
bu2

JSVH

I saw that extension of the light rail.
That is new from all the previous versions of the Clifton Corridor which have it going to Avondale and stopping. With that route, it looks like a useless streetcar with those 8 stops south of the Blue Line to I-20. Rail just to have rail. It does connect SE Dekalb with the Clifton Corridor, but it doesn't appear to be in a very effective manner.

Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
JSVH

I saw that extension of the light rail.
That is new from all the previous versions of the Clifton Corridor which have it going to Avondale and stopping. With that route, it looks like a useless streetcar with those 8 stops south of the Blue Line to I-20. Rail just to have rail. It does connect SE Dekalb with the Clifton Corridor, but it doesn't appear to be in a very effective manner.
Agreed. In general, I think the half penny plan, (plus getting Clifton LRT connected to the East HRT, and continuing 285E BRT to airport) is all that DeKalb needs for now. They should do this Half-penny plan. See how ridership goes, then propose a plan for the other half of the penny in 5-10 years. If ridership is that high on the I-20E BRT compared to the other routes then by all means upgrade it to the LRT or HRT line with that other half-penny.

Also, if you read the "scenario details" in each, the half penny has a "healthy contingency" the full penny has "tighter budget, less contingency".

Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,425,847 times
"Arterial Rapid Transit" on Lavista Rd = "A bus stuck dead in standstill traffic for miles on a single lane road", right?

Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,425,847 times
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8304...thumbfov%3D100

This is a neighborhood road that kinda ended up getting stuck as an "artery", I guess.

Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
"Arterial Rapid Transit" on Lavista Rd = "A bus stuck dead in standstill traffic for miles on a single lane road", right?
That is the neighborhood where I grew up. ART will be good for there. Current buses are far to infrequent to use.

Remember, ART is just more frequent bus service, and upgraded stops. It is not adding a lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or