U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:29 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,425,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
That is the neighborhood where I grew up. ART will be good for there. Current buses are far to infrequent to use.

Remember, ART is just more frequent bus service, and upgraded stops. It is not adding a lane.
I know, and I agree it will be an improvement. Was being a little tongue in cheek there.

Lavista is an ideal corridor except for the actual road itself. It runs from Lindbergh (the best MARTA station), to Downtown Tucker, via Northlake Mall, and interesects with some major roads and I-285.

Would just be ideal to have another lane on that arterial, and a bus-only system or even a streetcar/light rail running in the median would be amazing for that corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:30 PM

2,101 posts, read 1,837,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Another option that needs a more serious look (really in the whole metro) is commuter rail. The CSX line could be great at picking up commuters off I-20 in the SE DeKalb then connecting them with Stone Mountain, Clarkston before following the MARTA East line into the city center. Maybe even work in a partnership to get it extended out to Rockdale and Covington.

Pair that with BRT to serve the folks directly along I-20 and you have some great options for folks in DeKalb.

Dekalb sees the HRT as a seed for new development not as a commuter option. I'm not saying your plan is bad, I'm just pointing out that this is about development not traffic.

Old Today, 08:09 PM

10,583 posts, read 7,523,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I know, and I agree it will be an improvement. Was being a little tongue in cheek there.

Lavista is an ideal corridor except for the actual road itself. It runs from Lindbergh (the best MARTA station), to Downtown Tucker, via Northlake Mall, and interesects with some major roads and I-285.

Would just be ideal to have another lane on that arterial, and a bus-only system or even a streetcar/light rail running in the median would be amazing for that corridor.
ART is a good next step. Any major changes on the road beyond that at this point will trigger major controversy. But they should upzone that area to allow at least missing middle level of density for people to have access to the route. The next incriminate of both transit and density can be revisited in a decade or two after that all settles in.

Old Today, 08:11 PM

10,583 posts, read 7,523,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Dekalb sees the HRT as a seed for new development not as a commuter option. I'm not saying your plan is bad, I'm just pointing out that this is about development not traffic.
Yeah, and it will bring some. But not enough to justify the costs not the loss of other more practical and comprehensive transit options that money could go towards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or