Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 05:43 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times

Advertisements

This will probably generate hoots of laughter but it's a serious problem.

What happens to the seniors? Do they have any hope of ever living in the city?

Quote:
There will be 14.4 million middle-income seniors by 2029, and 56% of them will not be able to afford private-pay senior housing at today’s market rates, according to the National Investment Center for Seniors Housing & Care.

The NIC report defines middle market seniors as those who are 75 and older with annual financial resources of roughly $25K to $95K. They are unlikely to qualify for Medicaid but may not be able to afford private senior housing, either assisted or independent living.

Read more at: No Place For Old Men: Middle-Income Seniors Facing A Shortage Of Housing Options
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 05:47 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,875,645 times
Affordable housing affects all types. We need to be serious about opening up the housing supply so affordability stays manageable.

I worry especially about many people in the nicer suburbs getting priced out as they age if zoning keeps them limited to "Single-Family" if you allow people to have a duplex or at least an ADU they can help split the costs of staying in the neighborhood and also provide a place for an additional family to live.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Affordable housing affects all types. We need to be serious about opening up the housing supply so affordability stays manageable.

I worry especially about many people in the nicer suburbs getting priced out as they age if zoning keeps them limited to "Single-Family" if you allow people to have a duplex or at least an ADU they can help split the costs of staying in the neighborhood and also provide a place for an additional family to live.
I have to agree, jsvh. You could keep the zoning single family but just increase the density like they do up in Buckhead.

Unfortunately, it seems like you just wind up up with twenty million dollar houses on one lot.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:32 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post

Yes, many seniors now want to age in place.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:36 PM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

They spend all their resources and then they qualify for Medicaid. I think its when you get below 2k in assets.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:43 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
That's why I fathered 4. Counting on one of them to take in dad.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
That's why I fathered 4. Counting on one of them to take in dad.
Well, I too am hopeful but they have their own lives. Which may or may not include the parental units.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:32 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,285 times
This absolutely a major issue that very few individuals are talking about. I believe that markets adapt and change to fill a need. So solutions will rise to the occasion. If you want to get rich then try to identify those market needs and get in on the ground floor early. I know individuals that have carved out niche business in the last 5 years that cater to seniors and they have more business then they can handle. One solution you will see more of is the Golden Girls model where seniors are sharing living spaces.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:15 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
This absolutely a major issue that very few individuals are talking about. I believe that markets adapt and change to fill a need. So solutions will rise to the occasion. If you want to get rich then try to identify those market needs and get in on the ground floor early. I know individuals that have carved out niche business in the last 5 years that cater to seniors and they have more business then they can handle. One solution you will see more of is the Golden Girls model where seniors are sharing living spaces.

Yaaasss. Love it.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:11 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
I was shopping at the local supermarket the other day and was surprised by the number of personal shoppers I saw in there. They wear sport shirts to identify their service; there they were, pushing the baskets and ticking off items on their devices as they proceeded down the aisles. SSI is lousy with seniors with money, though, so I should have expected this development.
I was beginning to notice this at the Toco Hill (another area with a high senior count) Publix before I moved last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: