U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which suburb is more appealing? And why?
Powder Springs 0 0%
Acworth 1 14.29%
Woodstock 6 85.71%
Dacula 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 03:05 AM

2,675 posts, read 5,557,319 times

Advertisements

Seeking info for my older brother.

Quite a few sensible voices in this group that have helped in the past. Hope you guys are still around (Aries4118, CW Kimbro, PK Corey, to name a few) and anyone else that can chyme in. I don't post as much as I did. Anyways, on to his needs and information.

He's looking to build in the Metro area in the next year or so.

He's an Engineer. He works from home, and will continue working from home, with some international traveling (Another reason why Atlanta is at the top of the list and the fact that he wants to be closer to his younger brother ). He has relocation flexibility

Youngest child, leaving the nest next year. (All others are in college). So they will officially be empty-nesters, (unless the youngest decides to go to college in GA and live with them).

They're in New York (Garden City, Long Island to be exact), and will be selling their home later this year. Tired of high property taxes, and NY life altogether. Although not as bad as the city, they're seeking some place that's quiet, and spacious. Different from NY to be honest. So neighbor interaction is not a priority. Nor are political affiliation/race issues. These are not determining factors. They just want space and peace. And with the sale of their home, they will have close to ~$800k to play with. Not that they want to spend that much.

His wife has flexibility with work as well. As stated above, they're looking to build (custom home) and are seeking land. They seem to find available and "relatively affordable" land in the mentioned areas. That is why these specific areas are mentioned. No preference over the other to be honest.

They're not worried about schools as much (since kids are grown), but still want to be in a good school district (Home/Land appreciation), safety, low crime etc.

Looking for decent and commonly found shopping/retail/restaurants (Publix/Home Depot/Longhorne/AppleBees etc), Nothing out of the ordinary, maybe decent movie theater etc. Not picky in that sense.

Commuting doesn't seem to be a major worry either. They will not be dealing with hustle and bustle/traffic daily, so there lies more flexibilty.

However,
I'm more curious about Powder Springs
, since it's not too far from Marietta (where my wife and I live), but don't know much about it. Besides driving there with him, his wife and realtor recently, I'm not too informed about the area. That would put him closer to where we are .

But info on all other areas are appreciated and welcomed. We've looked at Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site among other sites for info. All suburbs mentioned above seem to do relatively well on their rating system. (Although, I did notice Powder Springs not fare as well as the others. Anyone care to shed some light on this?) But again, anecdotal experiences don't hurt. All about variety of perspectives.

They're not overly picky, but curious. What areas would appeal to You guys with the information provided? And why?

I'm somewhat biased toward Marietta, but finding land in that area for what they want is not that easy to find.

They also like it in Marietta, when visiting.

Last edited by Yac; Today at 12:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 04:40 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,106,747 times
I see Powder Springs as a mixed bag these days. There are plenty of better options IMO.
I see Acworth and Dacula as decent bedroom communities with lots of strip centers and big box retail. If your brother could score something near the lake or Acworth's quaint downtown, that would be different.
My personal choice would be Woodstock. Out of all the communities you listed, it seems to be the one with the clearest vision of where it's going. The redeveloped downtown is a huge plus.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:37 AM

707 posts, read 601,658 times
I'm a little biased but would also vote Woodstock. The only issue I see in Woodstock is large plots/land is sparse, and I'm sure at somewhat of a premium when it comes to price. How much land are they looking for?

Old 07-16-2019, 11:07 AM

Thanks guys.

They're looking for about 2 acres.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I see Powder Springs as a mixed bag these days. There are plenty of better options IMO.
I see Acworth and Dacula as decent bedroom communities with lots of strip centers and big box retail. If your brother could score something near the lake or Acworth's quaint downtown, that would be different.
My personal choice would be Woodstock. Out of all the communities you listed, it seems to be the one with the clearest vision of where it's going. The redeveloped downtown is a huge plus.

What makes Powder Springs a mixed bag in your opinion? Just curious, as it would be closer to us.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:28 AM

1,130 posts, read 777,943 times
Woodstock makes sense, though to get 2 acres they will probably have to go a good ways from the revitalized downtown area.

If you'd like to keep them closer to or in Marietta (granted, I am biased since I, like you, live there and love it), a beautiful lot like this in Anderson Farm, at the end of Stewart Ave and the base of Kennesaw Mountain yet only 2 miles from the Square, might fit the bill. I have driven through this neighborhood a few times and if wanted a large lot in a beautiful setting just a little ways from the more bustling Square, this is where I would go. (Note - I have no affiliation with the seller, just have noticed this lot when driving by. There are a few others in the vicinity as well.)

https://www.redfin.com/GA/Marietta/8...m_content=link

Old 07-16-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Woodstock makes sense, though to get 2 acres they will probably have to go a good ways from the revitalized downtown area.

If you'd like to keep them closer to or in Marietta (granted, I am biased since I, like you, live there and love it), a beautiful lot like this in Anderson Farm, at the end of Stewart Ave and the base of Kennesaw Mountain yet only 2 miles from the Square, might fit the bill. I have driven through this neighborhood a few times and if wanted a large lot in a beautiful setting just a little ways from the more bustling Square, this is where I would go. (Note - I have no affiliation with the seller, just have noticed this lot when driving by. There are a few others in the vicinity as well.)

https://www.redfin.com/GA/Marietta/8...m_content=link

Thank you!!! I will send this to him. That's not far from us.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:37 PM

1,130 posts, read 777,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Thank you!!! I will send this to him. That's not far from us.
My pleasure. Drive through that neighborhood sometime. Absolutely beautiful.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:32 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,106,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
What makes Powder Springs a mixed bag in your opinion? Just curious, as it would be closer to us.
There is quite a bit of sketchiness in that area. My nephew bought in there many years ago (and got out as soon as he could) in what would commonly be referred to as 'starter homes': low-end, cheaply constructed houses that became characteristic of the developments around Powder Springs proper. Such development over time often becomes a recipe for disaster, as easy entry allows a skeevy element to enter the community and set-up a low-overhead venue for whatever questionable activity in which they which to engage. My sense is that this scenario is not all that uncommon in Powder Springs or in other south Cobb communities like Austell, Lithia Springs or west Mableton.
It's proximity to the heavily industrial (and unattractive) Thornton Road corridor isn't much of a draw, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or