U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 08:06 AM
VJP

664 posts, read 1,453,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
but generally speaking I think one can go about .5 mile/minute during rush hour as an average.

Let's not give newcomers such hope. No one is moving 30 mph during rush hour, on highways or side streets. It's more like 12-15mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 03:22 AM

5 posts, read 1,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmd78 View Post
Hello,

My husband and I will be visiting the Atlanta area next week for a potential job relocation. He would be working for a company in the Norcross area. We are from Texas and have only driven through parts of Georgia before, so we really do not know the area at all, which is the reason for the visit next week. I wanted to ask opinions of places we should consider and to look at while we are there. He would like to have a 30 minute or less commute, but he is willing to commute longer in order for us to be in a good, safe area. We have twins who will be starting high school this year, so a great school is a must. Obviously, I have done some research, but not being from the area, it's hard to distinguish what would actually be doable as far as a commute goes for my husband. Would an area like Alpharetta or Milton be a good contender or would his commute be unbearable? Any other opinions on safe areas with good schools in the Norcross vicinity would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Hello and welcome to Atlanta! I am originally from Texas (Houston to be exact) so I have some experience in making this transition.

While many of the areas mentioned by the other posters are great, I would also add the Brookwood area in Snellville, which is east of 85. It has the highest rated school cluster in the area (Brookwood Elem, Crews MS and Brookwood HS are all 9 or above) and has access to beautiful parks and walking trails. Also, there is less development in the area as compared to Suwannee or Peachtree Corners, which while nice are becoming super developed and to me overcrowded. If you are looking for newer homes, there are several new build neighborhoods going up that are zoned to the Brookwood cluster such as Bright Water. If you prefer an older home that is just as nice, John Weiland built many of the homes in Brookwood area such as Brookwood Manor, Dogwood Plantation and others in the 80’s and 90’s (including mine) that you can grab for a song, especially compared to Peachtree Corners or Suwannee and especially compared to what you would pay in Alpharetta or East Cobb.

East Cobb is a nice area and we lived there many years ago when our family was smaller, but if you are looking to buy a home your money will not go as far as it would in Snellville, Duluth, or Peachtree Corners (Suwannee is a different story). Also, East Cobb can be a little stuck up (the proverbial “East Cobb Snob” meme has a large amount of truth to it).

Roswell (where we also lived at one time) crosses both Fulton and Cobb counties, is really hit or miss; the area east of Hwy 400 has kind of slipped a bit, at least based on what I’ve seen since we moved back to Atlanta and the school ratings reflect this. On the other hand, the western side near Cobb is very nice; Old Town Roswell is really cool, with great restaurants and shops on Canton street as well as the Chattahoochee River area with great hiking and walking trails, plus canoeing and other water activities. Again, home price wise it very expensive when compared to similar areas in Gwinnett.

Finally East Cobb would be a tough commute to Norcross. One thing you are going to notice when comparing Atlanta to any major city in TX is that there is only one “Loop” around the metro area (285, aka “The Perimeter”) resulting in numerous backroad driving when commuting to suburban job centers. As you know, in Texas most of our major cities had more than one Loop freeway system around the metro areas which allows for better transit. Not as big a deal if you work in town, but when trying to commute from one Suburb to another for work it can be a pain. Suwannee, Snellville or especially Peachtree Corners would all be an easier commute. Duluth as well.

Finally from a tax perspective, Gwinnett County (where Duluth, Peachtree Corners, Suwannee and Snellville are located) has lower property taxes than Cobb or Fulton County. It is also very diverse and has growing Asian and Latino populations as well as large and established AA and Caucasian populations which is reflected in the culinary diversity in the area.

When I moved back to Atlanta a year ago I was choosing between East Cobb and Gwinnett, and for the money Gwinnett made the most since. After a year living here I can say that I don’t regret my decision at all.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:12 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,018,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP View Post
Let's not give newcomers such hope. No one is moving 30 mph during rush hour, on highways or side streets. It's more like 12-15mph.
I wouldn't go so far as to say no one....I'm not sure where you commute to, but my 10 mile commute takes me 20 mins. And the few times I have to drive DT during rush hour via 75 from Marietta, it's taken me 35 minutes to go 19 miles. And I've done it enough times to know that's a pretty consistent pace. I have heard that 85 is a whole different story though...

Old 07-20-2019, 10:48 PM

3 posts, read 940 times
Thanks again for all of the help, everyone. I really appreciate it!

Old Today, 01:42 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,158,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmd78 View Post
Hello,

My husband and I will be visiting the Atlanta area next week for a potential job relocation. He would be working for a company in the Norcross area. We are from Texas and have only driven through parts of Georgia before, so we really do not know the area at all, which is the reason for the visit next week. I wanted to ask opinions of places we should consider and to look at while we are there. He would like to have a 30 minute or less commute, but he is willing to commute longer in order for us to be in a good, safe area. We have twins who will be starting high school this year, so a great school is a must. Obviously, I have done some research, but not being from the area, it's hard to distinguish what would actually be doable as far as a commute goes for my husband. Would an area like Alpharetta or Milton be a good contender or would his commute be unbearable? Any other opinions on safe areas with good schools in the Norcross vicinity would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
It depends on where in Norcross he will be working. If it is Norcross proper, then Johns Creek, Roswell (east of 400), Duluth or Dunwoody are your best bets. Peachtree Corners and Suwannee too. Alpharetta east of 400 is also doable, but any farther than that would start to be a traffic nightmare. Buckhead and Sandy Springs are feasible as well..maybe even Brookhaven.

If he works in unincorporated Norcross then cross Alpharetta and Sandy Springs off of the list.

Milton is untenable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta