U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 10:29 AM

3 posts, read 940 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I will be visiting the Atlanta area next week for a potential job relocation. He would be working for a company in the Norcross area. We are from Texas and have only driven through parts of Georgia before, so we really do not know the area at all, which is the reason for the visit next week. I wanted to ask opinions of places we should consider and to look at while we are there. He would like to have a 30 minute or less commute, but he is willing to commute longer in order for us to be in a good, safe area. We have twins who will be starting high school this year, so a great school is a must. Obviously, I have done some research, but not being from the area, it's hard to distinguish what would actually be doable as far as a commute goes for my husband. Would an area like Alpharetta or Milton be a good contender or would his commute be unbearable? Any other opinions on safe areas with good schools in the Norcross vicinity would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 05:16 AM

2,389 posts, read 3,765,615 times
What is your house budget?

Peachtree Corners, Johns Creek and Suwanee are all great areas with good schools and a good commute. I think Alpharetta and Milton will be less desirable commutes.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:33 AM

6,496 posts, read 3,573,950 times
Except at odd hours you are looking at quite a bit longer than a 30 minute commute to Norcross from Milton even though it’s about 18 miles. But it is great living in Milton and you might want to check it out.

Getting your house budget and other requirements will help. For example, Milton has 1 acre zoning. If you want more land and more of a “horse country feel” it’s great.

I agree with the previous poster that Johns Creek should be on your shortlist.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:00 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,018,623 times
Loosely I'd say stick within a 12 miles radius if you want a sub 30 minute commute. Also, as a very crude way of helping you understand the layout, the northern half of the city (north of I-20, although there are of course exceptions) is considered more prime and with better schools. The below suburbs are considered some of the best in the area for schools:

Alpharetta
Suwanee
Johns Creek
Cumming
East Cobb
Roswell
Woodstock

Best of luck to you and let me know if you have any more specific questions

Old 07-18-2019, 07:31 AM

8,389 posts, read 10,343,691 times
Good list above. Except Woodstock. Commuting from there would make you want to kill yourself.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:33 AM

1 posts, read 407 times
dunwoody

Old 07-18-2019, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 940 times
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advice! I would say our home budget would preferably be in the $350-$450k range, however, from what I've seen, I am assuming we may have to up the budget to around $550k. Does that knock out any of the areas you all have mentioned? Also, I have a couple of random questions, so I'll just list them here individually:

*I've noticed that a lot of the homes do not have pools. Is there a reason for that?
*Peachtree Corners seems like a very nice place, and the location would be perfect, but what is the high school there? I read kids there go to Duluth?
*What is an average commute time in Atlanta anyway? We are coming from a town where my husband works 5 miles away and has a 10 minute commute LOL!

Thanks again, everyone! I REALLY do appreciate your help and any other advice you'd like to throw my way!

Old 07-18-2019, 04:25 PM

1,829 posts, read 1,873,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmd78 View Post
Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advice! I would say our home budget would preferably be in the $350-$450k range, however, from what I've seen, I am assuming we may have to up the budget to around $550k. Does that knock out any of the areas you all have mentioned? Also, I have a couple of random questions, so I'll just list them here individually:

*I've noticed that a lot of the homes do not have pools. Is there a reason for that?
*Peachtree Corners seems like a very nice place, and the location would be perfect, but what is the high school there? I read kids there go to Duluth?
*What is an average commute time in Atlanta anyway? We are coming from a town where my husband works 5 miles away and has a 10 minute commute LOL!

Thanks again, everyone! I REALLY do appreciate your help and any other advice you'd like to throw my way!
I would say Dunwoody High School, Duluth High School or Peachtree Ridge High School areas. Dunwoody is closer to town, reverse commute (kind of), but houses are more expensive, you can find things in your budget but they are older homes. Peachtree Ridge is a really good school, but farther out. I don't know the area well-enough to really say, but I bet the drive would be 40 mins in the morning to Norcross from Peachtree Ridge HS zone.

In these areas, you can find houses in swim/tennis communities where the neighborhood has a private community pool. Some people here do have pools, but most people don't bother. It isn't hot and dry like California. We have a lot of trees that drop leaves, we get rain, cold weather. For a lot of people it isn't used enough to warrant the expense and wasted yard space. The neighborhood pool is fun because you can meet your neighbors.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:40 PM

2,389 posts, read 3,765,615 times
A flat backyard that can support a pool is also a premium in the Atlanta area. Even properties with large lots for privacy have a significant portion that is under pine trees.

Gwinnett County Schools have an excellent reputation in general.

You can find homes for $450,000 in Johns Creek - they might not be 100% updated. Many homes in Johns Creek built in early 1990's.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:05 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,018,623 times
Agreed with others, if you have children you want to find a "swim/tennis" community that has a pool. And yes, flat back yards are hard to find. You should be able to find homes for $450k, may not have all your wants or be fully updated depending on which area you choose.

As far as commute times, ATL is known for having inadequate side streets (2 lanes instead of 4 in most cities), and not enough on/off ramps to the highways. This leads to weird backups, and things like being behind a school bus for 2 miles because it's only a two lane road in a suburb with 90K people. Some specific commute patterns can be really bad, but generally speaking I think one can go about .5 mile/minute during rush hour as an average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta