Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 10:36 PM

340 posts, read 320,506 times

Advertisements

Enjoy the intermittent rain while in lasts. During the fall, winter, and early spring it often times can rain for whole days. I can at least remember two weeks from this time period last year where it just rained for the entire week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 06:46 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,390,132 times
Umm you must have forgotten the fall and the winter where it rained for like weeks straight. Summer rains in the southeast are typically short lived like this though.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:07 AM

617 posts, read 551,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I feel like it isn't a consistent rainfall like the Mid Atlantic. Our rain will come in waves start and stop and we keep the clouds. In Baltimore, the storm will stall out or pickup more moisture from the bay or Atlantic and you will get a consistent rain for day or two with no stopping between it.

My memory is bad so I could be wrong...
I've been in the interior Southeast most of my life. This is how I remember it too. It may stay overcast for days and days at a time, but I don't remember us getting non-stop rain for days and days at a time, unless its a tropical system that stalls out.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:28 AM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
I've been in the interior Southeast most of my life. This is how I remember it too. It may stay overcast for days and days at a time, but I don't remember us getting non-stop rain for days and days at a time, unless its a tropical system that stalls out.
I remember having days even in late August or early June where it would be raining nonstop the entire day.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:39 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...on-by-city.php

Atlanta averages 49.9 inches of rain a year, more than mid Atlantic cities like Philly, DC, Baltimore and Virginia Beach. The only cities on this list ahead of Atlanta are Orlando, Jacksonville, Miami, Birmingham, New Orleans, Houston, and oddly enough New York City... by only .1 inch. 12 inches more than Seattle BTW.

Old 07-19-2019, 02:48 PM

Lived in London two years. It always felt like it had just rained, the streets and sidewalks were wet most of the time. But rare was a really strong rain that would soak you deeply, It was just an incessant mist or a little drizzle that you could still function outdoors without getting totally drenched. Days with hours of sunshine were celebrated, they felt few and far between.

I think Seattle is more like that.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:25 PM

82 posts, read 81,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...on-by-city.php

Atlanta averages 49.9 inches of rain a year, more than mid Atlantic cities like Philly, DC, Baltimore and Virginia Beach. The only cities on this list ahead of Atlanta are Orlando, Jacksonville, Miami, Birmingham, New Orleans, Houston, and oddly enough New York City... by only .1 inch. 12 inches more than Seattle BTW.
I’m more so referring to the duration of time it rains. I agree, it rains hard and perhaps even frequently. But even if it’s forecasted to rain for a week straight, it seems like it comes and goes in less than 30mins to an hour. Even if it’s more than once a day, it always seems to be in modest increments. Oddly enough, it actually just happened as it type this.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:47 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Its just you.

Sometimes it hardly stops for 2 or 3 days.

But there are a lot of short afternoon showers.
Exactly. I recall many a time when we've had many hours (and days) of continuous rain.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:47 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,354,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
It could be pouring down rain in Atlanta while Marietta doesn't get a single drop, or vice versa.
Truth...this is one of my favorite weather shots:

I live just above the 75 icon in the middle. We barely got a drop of rain as that storm blew west to east.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908kiddo View Post
I’m more so referring to the duration of time it rains. I agree, it rains hard and perhaps even frequently. But even if it’s forecasted to rain for a week straight, it seems like it comes and goes in less than 30mins to an hour. Even if it’s more than once a day, it always seems to be in modest increments. Oddly enough, it actually just happened as it type this.
Well, I am thankful it doesn't rain incessantly for days on end. Who wants that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta