U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 06:34 PM

74 posts, read 52,336 times

Advertisements

Or is it just me? I’m originally from the mid Atlantic by way of the northeast and when it rains up there, it rains for hours, sometimes even days at a time

How come it doesn’t seem to rain for more than a few minutes down here? What geographical/environmental factors are in play?

Don’t get me wrong, I love it..definitely a perk of living here. But I’m just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 07:11 PM

453 posts, read 161,595 times
It’s a subtropical climate like most of the Southeast. So the rains come and go in the afternoons in the summer usually.

It’s last way too long in the late fall-early spring IMO. If you go further south toward the Gulf or Florida it’s better IMO because it will storm hard for like 30-60 min in the summer then get sunny.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:25 PM

4,371 posts, read 6,044,513 times
The storms usually run out of "gas" when they reach Atlanta from the west.

When we have tropical moisture or storm coming from the gulf north towards us, we usually have the sustain rain fall.

I know, when I lived in Baltimore, it was the same reason as well. The storms would struggle to make it over the mountains of western MD to the city. The moisture usually comes from south and picks up extra moisture from the bay and keep moving upward to the northeast.

We had a better chance of rain, if the moisture from the Ohio Valley came down from PA vs trying to cross over the mountains.

Mid Atlantic is notorious for storms stalling over it as well.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:33 PM

3,631 posts, read 1,221,083 times
Atlanta is prone to more convective-type of rains. These uroganized precipitation events consists of cellular cloud bursts that quickly rain themselves out.

Whereas areas further north tend to see more steady/persistent stratiform-type rains, where upper level forcing and dynamics are stronger closer to the jet sream.

That said, because of the moisture content being so much higher closer to the Gulf of Mexico and better evapotranspiration from the extensive tree canopy, I've learned Georgia rainstorms are no joke compared to up north. When it rains, you're going to ****ing drown!!! You can easily get a couple inches of rain in 15 minutes time.

Another thing that fascinates me about Georgia is how you can watch the steam rise up from the ground into the atmosphere after a rainstorm. That's not really a thing up north, because of the lower sun angle and the airmass isn't nearly as stagnant.

Last edited by citidata18; 07-18-2019 at 07:47 PM..

Old 07-18-2019, 07:52 PM
bu2

10,079 posts, read 6,464,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908kiddo View Post
Or is it just me? Iím originally from the mid Atlantic by way of the northeast and when it rains up there, it rains for hours, sometimes even days at a time

How come it doesnít seem to rain for more than a few minutes down here? What geographical/environmental factors are in play?

Donít get me wrong, I love it..definitely a perk of living here. But Iím just curious.
Its just you.

Sometimes it hardly stops for 2 or 3 days.

But there are a lot of short afternoon showers.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:55 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,750,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 908kiddo View Post
Or is it just me? Iím originally from the mid Atlantic by way of the northeast and when it rains up there, it rains for hours, sometimes even days at a time

How come it doesnít seem to rain for more than a few minutes down here? What geographical/environmental factors are in play?

Donít get me wrong, I love it..definitely a perk of living here. But Iím just curious.
Give it time - I promise we get days of rain and rain and more rain.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:21 PM

5,121 posts, read 3,320,597 times
Yeah, sorry. I’ve actually been remembering to close my grill after using it, so we haven’t been getting lots of rain.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:21 PM

3,682 posts, read 8,852,627 times
The winter and even spring and fall months have more of the rain that lasts for entire days at a time (Seattle style). The summer tends to have more scattered/isolated showers that last for a shorter amount of time and pass through certain areas. It could be pouring down rain in Atlanta while Marietta doesn't get a single drop, or vice versa.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:56 PM

4,371 posts, read 6,044,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
The winter and even spring and fall months have more of the rain that lasts for entire days at a time (Seattle style).
I feel like it isn't a consistent rainfall like the Mid Atlantic. Our rain will come in waves start and stop and we keep the clouds. In Baltimore, the storm will stall out or pickup more moisture from the bay or Atlantic and you will get a consistent rain for day or two with no stopping between it.

My memory is bad so I could be wrong...

Old 07-18-2019, 10:18 PM

3,154 posts, read 1,460,492 times
If it were to rain all the time and for long periods, it would hardly be hot; Atlanta doesn't want to lose its status as "Hotlanta." It has a reputation to protect. Pretty snooty city. It doesn't like for people to see when it rains. It wants you to think that the sun shines out of its a** 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta