U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 07:18 PM

3 posts, read 618 times

Advertisements

Y'all are AMAAAAAAAZING! Thank you so much! This is exactly what I needed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 08:49 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,813,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDreams View Post
Hi everyone! Yes, this is another moving to ATL post. I'm hoping y'all can give some good advice, though. My partner is looking at a job in downtown ATL. I have extended family in the ATL suburbs (Newnan, Peachtree City, Jonesboro, etc.) so I'm familiar with the outskirts of ATL. If we move to the ATL area, though, my ideal scenario would not be somewhere like PTC. Here's some relevant info, and what we are looking for. Does such a place exist?

Relevant Info:
- Partner's job would be in downtown ATL, and I telecommute from home
- 2 kids, ages 7 and 4
- Our family includes 3 LGBT people
- Budget: $400k or less would be ideal, possibly could stretch that a bit

What We Want:
- Diversity - we are white, but I don't want to be surrounded by only white people
- Okay public schools (we are looking for diversity, safety, and availability of things like AP classes, but aren't too concerned about test scores); we are committed to the mission of public schools and are not looking to put our kids in private school.
- Minimum 3 bed 2 bath, plus office/den OR 4 bed 2 bath
- Some type of green space (either private yard or shared community green space)
- Single family home, condo, or townhome
- Urban or suburban
- Within 30 minute commute of downtown ATL
- Other families with kids in the area
- Either progressive politically or a blend of progressive and conservative. I don't need to live in a progressive bubble, but I don't want to be worried that the neighbors will be conspiring to tear down my rainbow flag.

So, does such a unicorn of a place exist? Or am I dreaming?
Kirkwood-Edgewood-Reynoldstown—maybe something closer to one of the rail stations—especially if your partner’s work is close to one. You might keep an eye out for anything you can find in your price range in Candler Park-Lake Claire, Inman Park (probably townhome or condo, home would probably be a bit of good luck, and a stretch) while you are looking. It may be a little “whiter” than what you are looking for, but the schools are very good, and it pretty much meets the rest of your criteria. I would also add that Lin Elementary there would be a good chance that your child would not be the only ones coming from a LGBT family in their classroom.

Last edited by jeoff; 07-20-2019 at 08:58 PM..

Old 07-20-2019, 11:24 PM

70 posts, read 17,297 times
Quote:
- Single family home, condo, or townhome
I feel like if this got whittled down more, we could give a more succinct answer. If you're leaning more suburban townhome, I think the NWATL neighborhoods that were mentioned would be great options. If you're leaning more single family house, the Eastside neighborhoods would be better (while not quite "urban" in the Brooklyn sense, they are not suburban in the Stepford Wives way either). There are most definitely townhomes on Eastside (especially if we start talking about Boulevard Heights, where even another one on the west side of Boulevard is going up currently), but I feel they are more common to see in NW where developers purchased huge plots of wasteland and began planning communities.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:07 AM

3 posts, read 618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLUTD View Post
I feel like if this got whittled down more, we could give a more succinct answer. If you're leaning more suburban townhome, I think the NWATL neighborhoods that were mentioned would be great options. If you're leaning more single family house, the Eastside neighborhoods would be better (while not quite "urban" in the Brooklyn sense, they are not suburban in the Stepford Wives way either). There are most definitely townhomes on Eastside (especially if we start talking about Boulevard Heights, where even another one on the west side of Boulevard is going up currently), but I feel they are more common to see in NW where developers purchased huge plots of wasteland and began planning communities.
Great point! I would say ideally we would probably want a single family home, since a yard for the kids and our dogs would be really convenient. However, we would be willing to live in a condo or townhome in an area where we might not be able to afford single family, in order to access other things we are looking for in a community.

Old 07-21-2019, 08:03 AM

5,130 posts, read 3,326,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLUTD View Post
There are plenty of single family homes in NW Atlanta, particularly in the neighborhoods mentioned before, but also in Bolton, Riverside, Whittier Mill, and others. Underwood Hills also has large numbers of SFH.

OP...I would suggest not being drawn to the very affordable West Highlands area over here. Yes, you can get a nice house with a yard for cheap, but the school district there is not good.

You are going to have more amenities on the Eastside, as far as trails, parks, original restaurants, festivals and stuff. But, you'll probably get a little less for your money to live in the more established neighborhoods there. The westside offers (in my opinion), more overall convenience to things around town and a little more house for your money, but maybe not as many direct amenities.

Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM

649 posts, read 426,885 times
I would consider the City of Decatur. Great schools, diverse, and pretty progressive. The budget might be the hard part, but you might be able to find a 3/2 single family home for 400k. You can definitely find a townhome or condo for that.

Old Today, 05:48 AM

2,138 posts, read 2,134,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
I would consider the City of Decatur. Great schools, diverse, and pretty progressive. The budget might be the hard part, but you might be able to find a 3/2 single family home for 400k. You can definitely find a townhome or condo for that.
Every SFH under $400k in the City of Decatur is pretty much being marketed as a teardown or total renovation opportunity. Even townhouses and condos will be very slim picking if 3 bedrooms is a requirement.

Old Today, 01:17 PM

1,168 posts, read 536,550 times
I would recommend living as close to GA 400 as you can in Sandy Springs or Dunwoody.

I think Gwinnett County would be another good option. The county is overall diverse, but individual school zones and subdivisions can wildly vary.

Old Today, 06:45 PM

1,435 posts, read 789,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
I would recommend living as close to GA 400 as you can in Sandy Springs or Dunwoody.

I think Gwinnett County would be another good option. The county is overall diverse, but individual school zones and subdivisions can wildly vary.
Why purposely choose to live 20+ miles from Downtown that can take 45+ mins during heavy traffic each direction when OP can get everything they're looking for within just a few miles of downtown? Not sure why everyone always recommends suburbs. Car commuting sucks!

Old Today, 08:10 PM

70 posts, read 17,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Why purposely choose to live 20+ miles from Downtown that can take 45+ mins during heavy traffic each direction when OP can get everything they're looking for within just a few miles of downtown? Not sure why everyone always recommends suburbs. Car commuting sucks!
I'm guessing that person saw "Raising Kids in ATL" and didn't bother to read OP's excellent checklist of wants in the initial post. Only reasoning I can think of.

No good reason to live in the burbs unless you really want/need a lot of square footage. I don't plan to go much above 1250-1500 the rest of my life so in-town is great for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or