U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 05:38 AM

8,397 posts, read 10,361,002 times

Advertisements

Actually, none of this would be a problem if the police actually enforced the existing laws.

You know what we really need? You know how MARTA has the see something, say something app or whatever? APD needs something similar, where if you are aggressively panhandled, just record it with your cell phone. They should have a special site where you can upload video of it happening.

I imagine the police pretty much know all of the homeless people. If they had video proof of who the problems are, they could build cases against those people and get them the help they need, or into jail if that's where they need to be. I don't think anybody really has an issue with homeless people simply being around. It's the aggressive panhandling that's the problem. And frankly, it's embarrassing that this has been a problem as long as it has and the city has never gotten it under control.

I'd look to Giuliani as a case study in this. Sure, he's a divisive politician (especially now, let's not even go there), and not everybody agreed with what he did with New York at the time. But I think almost everybody can agree the city is better for it today. We need someone with the guts to do what's necessary, even if it has detractors, if we want to build a city we can be really proud of in 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 07:51 AM

5,189 posts, read 3,362,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
What are all the social workers out there doing?

I have a friend who is a social worker who spends most of his time getting people insurance through the Affordable Care Act, Medicare or Medicaid.

Surely there are also social workers out there who specialize in helping people fill out the necessary forms to get housing.
There just aren't enough social workers, and the ones we have are slikely slammed. My ex girlfriend was a social worker. It's low pay for a ton of work. Not many people wanting to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Think most would be better off "rotting" with shelter, food, water, and healthcare than on the street. Shouldn't people have the choice of going into a minimum security "shelter" by choice at least? Because I think most would prefer it over the street.
That's a great idea!! It's almost, wait...no, it's exactly what I said several posts back! Unless by "minimum security", you still mean "locked up and unable to leave at will".

Quote:
And what do you think is the solution to those that have serve issues and continue to live on the street and / or aggressively panhandle / trespass?
If someone chooses to "continually live on the street", there's not much you can do about that. There's a man who lives over on Howell Mill who just wanders the street and comes into Willy's every now and then. He doesn't bother anyone or stay in the restaurant. He just comes in because they hook him up with some food and drink sometimes. If they are being aggressive with people or trespassing against a property owner's will and that property owner wants them gone, then we can look into legal options.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:07 AM

2,277 posts, read 899,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Institutionalizing as was done is exactly that-putting them out of sight, out of mind.
I get what you mean, my proposal wouldn't be to keep them there however but put them on a program that will get them back on their feet.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:12 AM

29,515 posts, read 26,528,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I get what you mean, my proposal wouldn't be to keep them there however but put them on a program that will get them back on their feet.
Agree. That's what I was referring to in my post up above about the Fulton County Almshouse. It wasn't perfect but it provided a decent environment and gave people a shot at getting back on their feet.

Old 08-07-2019, 12:33 PM

10,683 posts, read 7,599,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
That's a great idea!! It's almost, wait...no, it's exactly what I said several posts back! Unless by "minimum security", you still mean "locked up and unable to leave at will".
Exactly. Only kept against there will if they are in violation of the law. And only 24 hours for the first violation, so not really a major hard ship, in fact it might help connect them with resources they need and they might choose to stay longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
If they are being aggressive with people or trespassing against a property owner's will and that property owner wants them gone, then we can look into legal options.
Yep. And what do you think those "legal options" should be? Perhaps confined to a shelter?

Old 08-09-2019, 06:40 AM

3,199 posts, read 1,489,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
Id rather be on the street than arrested and put in jail.

Who the hell wants to rot in a cage and get a criminal record on top of it?

Exactly!

Old 08-09-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Actually, none of this would be a problem if the police actually enforced the existing laws.

You know what we really need? You know how MARTA has the see something, say something app or whatever? APD needs something similar, where if you are aggressively panhandled, just record it with your cell phone. They should have a special site where you can upload video of it happening.

I imagine the police pretty much know all of the homeless people. If they had video proof of who the problems are, they could build cases against those people and get them the help they need, or into jail if that's where they need to be. I don't think anybody really has an issue with homeless people simply being around. It's the aggressive panhandling that's the problem. And frankly, it's embarrassing that this has been a problem as long as it has and the city has never gotten it under control.

I'd look to Giuliani as a case study in this. Sure, he's a divisive politician (especially now, let's not even go there), and not everybody agreed with what he did with New York at the time. But I think almost everybody can agree the city is better for it today. We need someone with the guts to do what's necessary, even if it has detractors, if we want to build a city we can be really proud of in 10 years.

Better for whom? It's not okay for black and Hispanic men to be stopped-and-frisked left to right for no reason other than the color of their skin. This was rampant during his administration and other administrations. You just talked about double standard in another thread. How could you support an administration that treats one people this way and another another way? I'm not sure you realize or care to realize how dehumanizing, illegal, and unethical these practices are.

Atlanta does NOT need someone like Giuliani. Atlanta deserves someone better and not someone who thinks it's okay to profit off 911. And btw, your post doesn't include anything regarding the economic situation NYC was in along with the country and the effects it had in areas that were affected by factories closing down, automation, etc.

Last edited by DreamerD; 08-09-2019 at 07:00 AM..

Old 08-09-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
This is a misdemeanor so not really a "criminal record".

Think most would be better off "rotting" with shelter, food, water, and healthcare than on the street. Shouldn't people have the choice of going into a minimum security "shelter" by choice at least? Because I think most would prefer it over the street.

And what do you think is the solution to those that have serve issues and continue to live on the street and / or aggressively panhandle / trespass?

I just want to address your first quote. I've been studying criminal "justice" issues and must tell you that a misdemeanor is STRAIGHT UP included in a criminal record. You being arrested starts a criminal record (even if innocent). I think on job applications some say to leave misdemeanors out and so this leads to the belief they are not part of a criminal record but they are and someone can face legal discrimination when it comes to housing, education, jobs, self-employment, etc.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:50 AM

8,397 posts, read 10,361,002 times
I didn't know Giuliani did that.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:14 PM

5,189 posts, read 3,362,000 times
Quote:
Exactly. Only kept against there will if they are in violation of the law. And only 24 hours for the first violation, so not really a major hard ship, in fact it might help connect them with resources they need and they might choose to stay longer.

Yep. And what do you think those "legal options" should be? Perhaps confined to a shelter?
You originally were talking about scooping up pretty much every homeless person and throwing them behind bars, against their will, and holding them there. I am saying that should only happen if the homeless person is causing a real issue. So yeah, if the person is causing a problem, THEN you resort to the legal issues such as confining them. If they are not, then they should be able to voluntarily come to and go from a shelter that provides actual assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or