U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 06:29 PM

10,707 posts, read 7,612,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
You originally were talking about scooping up pretty much every homeless person and throwing them behind bars, against their will, and holding them there. I am saying that should only happen if the homeless person is causing a real issue. So yeah, if the person is causing a problem, THEN you resort to the legal issues such as confining them. If they are not, then they should be able to voluntarily come to and go from a shelter that provides actual assistance.
Where do you draw the line at "real issue"? Panhandling? Yelling profanities? public nudity? blocking the public right of way? Trespassing? Public intoxication? Drug use?

Short-term confinement to a shelter for things like that is probably the kindest thing we can do. Leaving these people with major issues lying in the gutter is just wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 06:35 PM

Good news is, looks like we have been making progress 2009-2018, but this last year ticked back up:

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...elessness.html

Old 08-09-2019, 09:07 PM

5,205 posts, read 3,372,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Where do you draw the line at "real issue"? Panhandling? Yelling profanities? public nudity? blocking the public right of way? Trespassing? Public intoxication? Drug use?

Short-term confinement to a shelter for things like that is probably the kindest thing we can do. Leaving these people with major issues lying in the gutter is just wrong.
Christ on a cracker. Do I really need to lay out every detail? Can I just say that putting people in jail for simply being homeless is cruel and leave it at that? Do I actually have to lay out exactly which crimes should rise to the level of incarceration?

Old 08-09-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Christ on a cracker. Do I really need to lay out every detail? Can I just say that putting people in jail for simply being homeless is cruel and leave it at that? Do I actually have to lay out exactly which crimes should rise to the level of incarceration?
You don't have to participate in this conversation if it is to much for you.

But no one is trying to go out an arbitrarily label people "homeless" and through them in jail because of it. People that meet certain criteria / break certain laws are a danger to themselves and / or society and benefit both by being confined somewhere with food, water, shelter, and healthcare being provided to them. Many of the people we label as "homeless" fit the criteria. The question is what should that criteria be.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:31 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,497,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I didn't know Giuliani did that.

Blame mainstream media. Lol I'll just leave it there because I want to stay on topic but u could write a book on all the **it.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:36 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,497,469 times
Quote:

LOL did you get christ on a cracker from Shameless? I can't remember where I've heard it. That gif!! I've felt that so often at work. That's why I'd like to look into entrepreneurship in the future. So over retail.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:46 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,753,204 times
Quote:
These people sleeping on the streets are doing no one any good. We at least need to get them sheltered and provided with food, water, and basic medical care even if it is in prison.

Quote:
But no one is trying to go out an arbitrarily label people "homeless" and through them in jail because of it. People that meet certain criteria / break certain laws are a danger to themselves and / or society and benefit both by being confined somewhere with food, water, shelter, and healthcare being provided to them.
When the criteria for imprisonment is “sleeping on the street” you are clearly talking about locking up people for being homeless.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:52 AM

5,205 posts, read 3,372,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
When the criteria for imprisonment is “sleeping on the street” you are clearly talking about locking up people for being homeless.
Clearly. But, we're talking about a guy who has to hire a moving company for the number of goalposts he has to move.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:25 PM
bu2

10,205 posts, read 6,556,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Actually, none of this would be a problem if the police actually enforced the existing laws.

You know what we really need? You know how MARTA has the see something, say something app or whatever? APD needs something similar, where if you are aggressively panhandled, just record it with your cell phone. They should have a special site where you can upload video of it happening.

I imagine the police pretty much know all of the homeless people. If they had video proof of who the problems are, they could build cases against those people and get them the help they need, or into jail if that's where they need to be. I don't think anybody really has an issue with homeless people simply being around. It's the aggressive panhandling that's the problem. And frankly, it's embarrassing that this has been a problem as long as it has and the city has never gotten it under control.

I'd look to Giuliani as a case study in this. Sure, he's a divisive politician (especially now, let's not even go there), and not everybody agreed with what he did with New York at the time. But I think almost everybody can agree the city is better for it today. We need someone with the guts to do what's necessary, even if it has detractors, if we want to build a city we can be really proud of in 10 years.
San Francisco made huge improvements in the 80s on their panhandling issues. It was night and day. But since then they've quit doing those things and it makes the 80s look like Nirvana.

Old 08-11-2019, 03:16 PM

29,528 posts, read 26,558,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
San Francisco made huge improvements in the 80s on their panhandling issues. It was night and day. But since then they've quit doing those things and it makes the 80s look like Nirvana.
The 80s were a really rough time for a lot of people. Reaganomics, massive unemployment, recession, deindustrialization, drugs, and the kicking of folks out of mental health facilities.

For the well to do, the price of housing continued to go up, so it was a perfect storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or