Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 10:53 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,319,859 times

Advertisements

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/dow...lers/969159006

Quote:

The managers said their guests are regularly being intimidated especially near Hardy Ivy Park, Mayors Park and Courtland Street.

Some of the complaints in the letter included:

Last edited by Beretta; 07-24-2019 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: Snippet only per the TOS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 11:13 AM

1,180 posts, read 982,831 times
The hotels can contribute money and build some more facilities for the homeless.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:19 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,047,632 times
One of the complaints says guests were panhandled in a hotel lobby.

I mean.... that's really the hotel's job to secure. That's private property, and if they are having that problem, they should really hire their own private security forces and prosecute uninvited guests who trespass on their property and harass guests.

But I also agree the city should do more to curb panhandling. You can't, and shouldn't, stop people from silently holding cups or signs asking for money. But anybody who aggressively panhandles or intimidates a person should be jailed.

Also, I can't believe between three managers of some of the city's most prominent hotels, nobody knew how to spell "complaint."

Old 07-24-2019, 09:32 AM

120 posts, read 175,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
The hotels can contribute money and build some more facilities for the homeless.
That is all well and good, but the responsibility of taking care of the homeless lies squarely on the city government, not on the hotels.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:59 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
From what I've read here, these wimpy hotel guests need to mentally toughen up and recognize they are in an urban setting. Walk with confidence, keep your head on a swivel and don't let it be known that you may have valuables.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:27 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,483,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chengdu Nanhai View Post
That is all well and good, but the responsibility of taking care of the homeless lies squarely on the city government, not on the hotels.
Yes and no. The maintenance of the public right of way is the responsibility of the local government, i.e. the City of Atlanta, but the responsibility of the care and welfare of the homeless is not entirely on the City of Atlanta. That responsibility is a combination of Atlanta, Fulton County, and the State of Georgia. The maintenance of the private property lies with the property owners, i.e. the hotels and their operators.

It's not as cut and dry as you make it be. The lines are very undefined because the Georgia state constitution is very vague on the welfare of the least amongst us (the people).

Old 07-24-2019, 11:12 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,047,632 times
I think the hotels should hire security because they have business interests at stake.

But really, it's the city's responsibility to enforce existing laws. If you murder someone in at hotel lobby, it's still APD's problem, not the hotel's. Same thing here, if these panhandlers are threatening people, they are violating the law and therefore subject to prosecution under the jurisdiction of Atlanta police.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:39 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,351,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post

Yeah that is the responsibility of Hotels in Atlanta.

Old 07-28-2019, 11:43 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
From what I've read here, these wimpy hotel guests need to mentally toughen up and recognize they are in an urban setting. Walk with confidence, keep your head on a swivel and don't let it be known that you may have valuables.
shifting the problem to victim blaming isn't the move

Old 08-02-2019, 02:44 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,868,101 times
Think I am deciding we need to have a backstop to end homelessness. We need to make trespassing / loitering / sleeping on public property an accelerating misdemeanor offense. First violation $200 or 24 hours in jail. Next violation goes to a week in jail, then a month.

These people sleeping on the streets are doing no one any good. We at least need to get them sheltered and provided with food, water, and basic medical care even if it is in prison. On release they should be connected with non-profits and other organizations that can help them / provide them housing options outside of jail. But clearly those organizations are not cutting it on their own.

We got to have some backstop for the people on are streets that are unable or unwilling to find other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta