U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 04:58 PM

10,635 posts, read 7,547,865 times

Advertisements

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/7/23...lane-wednesday

Quote:
The latest peaceful protest of dangerous conditions for non-drivers in Atlanta could be the most visible yet.

Advocates for safer city streets have planned what they’re calling a “Human-Protected Sidewalk, Bike, & Scooter Lane Action” for Wednesday afternoon, beginning at the prominent Midtown intersection of West Peachtree and 15th streets.

That’s near the scene where an e-scooter rider, William Alexander, died last Wednesday night after being struck and crushed by a CobbLinc bus. The 37-year-old father of two was traveling from an Atlanta United match at the time, authorities said.

“Sadly, William isn’t the first life our streets have claimed—and it won’t be the last,” reads a press statement distributed by organizers this afternoon. “The City of Atlanta has failed to protect people by neglecting to build safe and equitable streets.”

Attendees are asked to meet at Arts Center MARTA Station at 3:45 p.m.

Once organized, attendees will link arms to act as a human, protected lane for bicycles, pedestrians, and electric-powered devices.

The chain is expected to stand between 4 and 7 p.m. along West Peachtree Street.
I plan to be there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 05:02 PM

55,710 posts, read 74,728,647 times
We got it here too high pedestrian fatality rate

Old 07-23-2019, 06:03 PM

29,440 posts, read 26,397,453 times
I admire their courage and commitment, but why not just use some cones and maybe some crash test dummies dressed up to look like people?

Old 07-23-2019, 07:31 PM
bu2

10,100 posts, read 6,480,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I admire their courage and commitment, but why not just use some cones and maybe some crash test dummies dressed up to look like people?
Morons.

They will get attention, but will just tick people off and get no sympathy.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:39 PM

6,365 posts, read 3,443,661 times
I can't attend Weds but I love this, it's a really nice thing. Really cool and I think it will make a good statement. Some family of mine are going.

Old 07-23-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
That has been done before: https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/04/...fe-bike-lanes/

Unfortunately many are still not serious about the need for safer infrastructure.

So if it takes putting my life at risk in order to bring attention to this issue to save the lives of others, I am willing to do it.

Old Yesterday, 05:52 AM

8,344 posts, read 10,299,502 times
Civil disobedience rules.

Try not to get arrested. I assume no permit was granted to block a lane of traffic during rush hour.

Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
That has been done before: https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/04/...fe-bike-lanes/

Unfortunately many are still not serious about the need for safer infrastructure.

So if it takes putting my life at risk in order to bring attention to this issue to save the lives of others, I am willing to do it.
You are a brave man, jsvh. Good luck to you and your compatriots.

Sadly, even changing the infrastructure may not help. Cyclists were run over in Kirkwood even though they were in bike lanes, and a woman was run over in Decatur even though they have complete streets.

Has any thought been giving to using these guys? I understand they are helpful.

Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM

Quote:
You are a brave man, jsvh. Good luck to you and your compatriots.

Sadly, even changing the infrastructure may not help. Cyclists were run over in Kirkwood even though they were in bike lanes, and a woman was run over in Decatur even though they have complete streets.
It won't solve everything nor stop every death ever, but it does help.

Many of these campaigns are also directed at converting unprotected bike lanes into protect bike lanes. So just because there are bike lanes doesn't mean there are not room for improvements there too.

Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM

I just don't want to see anybody getting hurt, jsvh. Not sure what city that protest photo was taken in but West Peachtree is pretty wild and woolly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or