U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2019, 11:49 AM

7,552 posts, read 10,131,696 times

Advertisements

The Villa Rica/Douglasville/Austell/Mableton suggestions are good from a halfway point between Atlanta and Carrollton. But is quality of life in those places any better than Carrollton itself? I don't see an advantage of any of these places over Carrollton. If a more "urbanish" environment is wanted, I suggest moving closer into the CoA or maybe Cumberland/Vinings. Otherwise I'd appreciate an easy commute and look at Carrollton itself. Nice college town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2019, 12:39 PM

3,700 posts, read 1,262,143 times
College towns can punch above their weight from a quality of life standpont, but they're very much oriented to teens/young adults.

People with families or post-college professionals who have matured and are seeking more sophiscated ways to entertain themselves or other experienced professionals to network with can feel alienated in them with their party-like, school-centric, uber-transient atmosphere.

Old 08-01-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
College towns can punch above their weight from a quality of life standpont, but they're very much oriented to teens/young adults.

People with families or post-college professionals who have matured and are seeking more sophiscated ways to entertain themselves or other experienced professionals to network with can feel alienated in them with their party-like, school-centric, uber-transient atmosphere.
I don't doubt that there is that aspect to a college town but to paint the whole town that way is disingenuous. The people that make up the permanent part of a college or university... staff, faculty, administration, i.e... bring a higher demographic than you find in a town of similar size without such. A college raises the atmosphere of the whole town.

I could argue that the presence of the University of West Georgia raises Carrollton several points on the quality of life scale above a Douglasville or Austell.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I don't doubt that there is that aspect to a college town but to paint the whole town that way is disingenuous. The people that make up the permanent part of a college or university... staff, faculty, administration, i.e... bring a higher demographic than you find in a town of similar size without such. A college raises the atmosphere of the whole town.

I could argue that the presence of the University of West Georgia raises Carrollton several points on the quality of life scale above a Douglasville or Austell.
I'm not debating Carrollton's quality of life or how much of an asset a college is, just simply saying a college town like Carrollton isn't the right fit for everyone. I say the same thing for many of Atlanta's suburbs (like I did with Douglasville earlier in the thread).

It's not intended to be an indictment of these communities, as I'm sure they're fine places for some individuals depending on their stage in life, but merely a honest critique of what potential new residents should expect if they choose to settle in these places. I think everyone wants to be assured they're living in a place they'll feel comfortable in.

Last edited by citidata18; 08-01-2019 at 01:23 PM..

Old 08-01-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I'm not debating Carrollton's quality of life or how much of an asset a college is, just simply saying a college town like Carrollton isn't the right fit for everyone. I say the same thing for many of Atlanta's suburbs (like I did with Douglasville earlier in the thread).

It's not intended to be an indictment of these communities, as I'm sure they're fine places for some individuals depending on their stage in life, but merely an honest critique of what potential new residents should expect if they choose to settle in these places. I think everyone wants to be assured they're living in a place they'll feel comfortable in.
Well of course. I'm simply offering that you would have to go quite a distance from Carrollton to find something that was significantly different than Carrollton itself. You almost have to get to I-75 in any direction before you do (Midtown, Cumberland, etc). The rest is suburban expanse that isn't that much different from Carrollton and maybe even a step below it because of the presence of the university in town.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Well of course. I'm simply offering that you would have to go quite a distance from Carrollton to find something that was significantly different than Carrollton itself. You almost have to get to I-75 in any direction before you do (Midtown, Cumberland, etc). The rest is suburban expanse that isn't that much different from Carrollton and maybe even a step below it because of the presence of the university in town.
Some peoole are willing to make that compromise if it makes them feel more comfortable.

And I think you're being a bit hard on Douglasville and surrounding areas. While it is sleepier area relative to Carrollton, it has a very nice shopping mall, it's more racially "diverse," it feels "newer" because of the higher growth rate, it has much better retail/restaurant options and it provides much easier access to Atlanta if one desires to spend a lot of their time there.

Old Today, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
It might be important to tell us more about you, what you're looking for, and why you want to be closer to Atlanta.

There is a difference if you're looking for good schools vs. a singles scene.

Budget always matters too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Can you tell us what kind of housing you want, what your budget is, and any other details about what you're looking for? Apartment, townhome, condo, house, cheap, mid-range, pimp money, quiet, busy, "vibrant", more suburban, more bougie hipster... There will be many suggestions, but we're all just shooting from the hip unless we know what you're looking for.

The commute from anywhere along 20 on the west side isn't going to be bad as you'd be going mostly against the flow.

I am looking more for a young singles scene. Diversity is also important as I am a member of the LGBTQ community while also being a person of color. I would be looking to rent House or townhouse for no more than 1,300.00 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or