U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:03 AM

8,358 posts, read 10,315,517 times

Advertisements

I imagine that's going to connect to Proctor Creek, not go all the way to the Chattahoochee.

I'm a lot more skeptical of the quality of the river's water this far downstream than I am with it up by Buford Dam. Will this reservoir suffer E. coli outbreaks as they occur in the Hooh, I wonder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:05 AM

1,657 posts, read 1,745,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I imagine that's going to connect to Proctor Creek, not go all the way to the Chattahoochee.

I'm a lot more skeptical of the quality of the river's water this far downstream than I am with it up by Buford Dam. Will this reservoir suffer E. coli outbreaks as they occur in the Hooh, I wonder?
The tunnel is five miles long, fwiw.

Old Today, 08:30 AM

23,495 posts, read 17,655,772 times
Quote:

The water has yet to be treated at this point, the reservoir is raw water storage.

Old Today, 08:38 AM

We can bore a 5 mile long tunnel, but we can't bring rail to the suburbs? Nice job, Atlanta.

I understand the water isn't treated. Is water in any big outdoor reservoir treated? Seems like a pretty bad place to keep water you intend to keep clean.

Old Today, 08:55 AM

Quote:
We can bore a 5 mile long tunnel, but we can't bring rail to the suburbs? Nice job, Atlanta.

I understand the water isn't treated. Is water in any big outdoor reservoir treated? Seems like a pretty bad place to keep water you intend to keep clean.
Why would you say an ex-granite quarry is a bad place for raw water storage. It will still have time to settle at the Hemphill Reservoirs before the Hemphill WTP.

Old Today, 08:58 AM

913 posts, read 449,597 times
Quote:

Atlanta, the city, has nothing to do with rail being brought to the 'burbs. This park is within the city limits of Atlanta which also approved more funding for MARTA.

The water from the reservoir will undergo the same process as water acquired from other sources like lakes, rivers, and aquifiers. This reservoir is getting filled from the Chattahoochee.

Quote:
New pumping stations will be built to draw water through a 10-foot wide tunnel, 200 feet beneath the ground. The tunnel will connect to the Hemphill Water Treatment Plant. A second tunnel will connect the plant to the quarry.
https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...bnPl1IpREkuYI/

Old Today, 09:23 AM

What I was saying is I expect water stored outdoors not to be treated. It's fine for raw water. Once you treat water, doesn't it need to stay relatively sanitary? You can't just store it outside, where it can get polluted, and then pump it to people's homes directly from there, so why bother treating it before you put it in a lake?

Old Today, 09:30 AM

2,140 posts, read 2,137,764 times
Quote:
I don't know why you feel compelled to imagine alternate scenarios, since the tunnel is complete.

Quote:
What I was saying is I expect water stored outdoors not to be treated. It's fine for raw water. Once you treat water, doesn't it need to stay relatively sanitary? You can't just store it outside, where it can get polluted, and then pump it to people's homes directly from there, so why bother treating it before you put it in a lake?
That's why they can draw from the reservoir to the Hemphill Treatment Plant when the need arises, and treat the water immediately prior to distribution.

Old Today, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Water towers and storage tanks, throughout the service area, which includes Sandy Springs and all of South Fulton Co (outside of East Point.)

Old Today, 10:44 AM

Right.

My comments have already generated way too much discussion.

I was merely putting forth there's no need to specify the water in the reservoir is untreated because I doubt anybody would have assumed it would be filled with potable water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or