U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM

8,358 posts, read 10,315,517 times

Advertisements

I have a couple of questions, that have probably been answered a zillion times already, but here goes...

1) I understand they are going to fill the quarry with water when they build the park. But when I look at artist renderings, some of them show the lake coming right up to the land like a normal lake while others show a few feet of rocky cliff left, with the water several feet below. Which of these is accurate, or will both conditions exist at different parts of the park? I like the idea of preserving some of the rocky cliffs, but how will they keep people from falling in?

2) Is there a target opening date for this park?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM

23,495 posts, read 17,655,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I have a couple of questions, that have probably been answered a zillion times already, but here goes...

1) I understand they are going to fill the quarry with water when they build the park. But when I look at artist renderings, some of them show the lake coming right up to the land like a normal lake while others show a few feet of rocky cliff left, with the water several feet below. Which of these is accurate, or will both conditions exist at different parts of the park? I like the idea of preserving some of the rocky cliffs, but how will they keep people from falling in?

2) Is there a target opening date for this park?

Thanks!
Westside Reservoir Park
Will contain a 30 day supply of raw water (can be stretched to 90 days with water restrictions) for City of Atlanta Dept of Watershed Management.
Recreational use of the reservoir will not be allowed. The water will have a fence keeping people out.
The entire park will not be complete for years.

Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM

632 posts, read 332,812 times
I believe itís scheduled to be opened Spring 2020.

Iíll ask a question too.

Will the color of the water look like this? If so, this will be a plus for the park.

Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
I believe itís scheduled to be opened Spring 2020.

Iíll ask a question too.

Will the color of the water look like this? If so, this will be a plus for the park.
It's raw water, so it still has to be treated.

Old Yesterday, 10:40 AM

8,358 posts, read 10,315,517 times
If it's a quarry that is being filled up, why wouldn't it look just like Blue Water Park in Alabama? I think that quarry filled from an aquifer, at least that's what I was always told. Where does the water that will fill Bellwood come from?

Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

Quote:
If it's a quarry that is being filled up, why wouldn't it look just like Blue Water Park in Alabama? I think that quarry filled from an aquifer, at least that's what I was always told. Where does the water that will fill Bellwood come from?
The particulates will settle out.

Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM

7,508 posts, read 10,114,139 times
Quote:
Good question. I assumed the Chattahoochee when flows would allow it.

Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM

2,389 posts, read 3,758,696 times
Here is a fairly recent updated with lots of great detail and pictures

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/5/1/...uction-Atlanta

Old Yesterday, 06:58 PM

13,641 posts, read 22,101,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Westside Reservoir Park
Westside Park at Bellwood Quarry

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/5/1/...uction-atlanta

Old Today, 05:46 AM

2,140 posts, read 2,137,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Good question. I assumed the Chattahoochee when flows would allow it.
Correct. There is a large bored tunnel connecting the two.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or