U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2019, 08:12 PM
 
1,302 posts, read 627,996 times
Reputation: 1050

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
Dallas is more expensive than Atlanta in most suburbs and cheaper than Atlanta in the city proper. The average cost of a home across DFW is higher than Atlanta metro area though a lot of the exurban areas in Atlanta bring the average cost down, but the Fort Worth side is a good bit cheaper than Plano/Frisco.

Atlanta is probably similar to Houston maybe slightly cheaper when you factor in property taxes. Austin is significantly higher than all three.
What has to be said too is the Atlanta proper covers a much smaller area than the City of Dallas. Those inner suburbs of Atlanta would be in the city limits of Dallas and Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2019, 10:21 PM
 
Location: Houston(Screwston),TX
1,598 posts, read 2,292,816 times
Reputation: 1875
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Flood insurance isn't required in most of metro Houston. HOA fees? I doubt you have enough of a reasonable sample to state accurately which is higher.

I can agree on San Antonio housing.
It isn't required but it's recommended seeing as how many home owners suffered from not having flood insurance during Harvey.

Truila did a article on the very subject of HOA fees years ago and Houston was definitely mentioned a couple of times when it came to HOA fee killers. The article won't pop up for some reason on their site but here's another web-site that mentioned Houston briefly.

https://www.constructiondive.com/new...onwide/438449/

Quote:
HOA fees make up the largest share of monthly housing costs in Tampa, FL (47.9%), Houston (42.6%) and Fort Lauderdale, FL (42%). New York has the highest fees at $571 per month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2019, 11:26 PM
 
1,158 posts, read 1,016,355 times
Reputation: 1687
Home prices have gotten a lot more expensive in most major cities. I purchased properties in 2006 (ouch!), 2011, 2016, & 2018. It's been interesting to feel the difference in affordability each time I've purchased.

I always debate whether this is good or bad for home owners. Certainly I benefit from the appreciation, but unless you're downsizing or moving to a drastically cheaper city, you just get nailed when you go to buy a new house.

I sort of like the feel of flexibility you get when home prices are lower everywhere, there is a feeling of freedom knowing you could move if you wanted, and you don't have to be so concerned with timing. It's kind of a daunting feeling when you can't afford to re-buy the current house you live in because it's appreciated so much. To take an extreme example, one gets the sense that with the exception of a small few that bought 30 years ago, no one is happy about the high cost of housing in the Bay area, not even homeowners

Overall a good thing for homeowners, but not without a few small downsides. And it's nice knowing the my metro is appreciating and gentrifying faster.

Also a good lesson that while average metro house costs matter, what really matters is house costs in the part of that metro that you would consider living in (based on schools, proximity to jobs, crime, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 04:35 AM
 
Location: Savannah GA
13,436 posts, read 17,053,058 times
Reputation: 9522
What kills me is how people complain about the rising value of their homes when property taxes go out ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 12:45 PM
 
2,244 posts, read 883,498 times
Reputation: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Home prices have gotten a lot more expensive in most major cities. I purchased properties in 2006 (ouch!), 2011, 2016, & 2018. It's been interesting to feel the difference in affordability each time I've purchased.

I always debate whether this is good or bad for home owners. Certainly I benefit from the appreciation, but unless you're downsizing or moving to a drastically cheaper city, you just get nailed when you go to buy a new house.

I sort of like the feel of flexibility you get when home prices are lower everywhere, there is a feeling of freedom knowing you could move if you wanted, and you don't have to be so concerned with timing. It's kind of a daunting feeling when you can't afford to re-buy the current house you live in because it's appreciated so much. To take an extreme example, one gets the sense that with the exception of a small few that bought 30 years ago, no one is happy about the high cost of housing in the Bay area, not even homeowners

Overall a good thing for homeowners, but not without a few small downsides. And it's nice knowing the my metro is appreciating and gentrifying faster.

Also a good lesson that while average metro house costs matter, what really matters is house costs in the part of that metro that you would consider living in (based on schools, proximity to jobs, crime, etc.)
I think this is a part that people tend to overlook.

The desirable areas of Atlanta aren't really much cheaper than most major metros save for the super expensive Pacific cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 05:29 PM
 
1,302 posts, read 627,996 times
Reputation: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
It isn't required but it's recommended seeing as how many home owners suffered from not having flood insurance during Harvey.

Truila did a article on the very subject of HOA fees years ago and Houston was definitely mentioned a couple of times when it came to HOA fee killers. The article won't pop up for some reason on their site but here's another web-site that mentioned Houston briefly.

https://www.constructiondive.com/new...onwide/438449/
Good stuff. Harvey was bad but not sure if it was worse the Tropical Storm Allison in June 2001 but you know people aren't getting flood coverage if such is not mandated. I've got plenty of family there and know of no one with that coverage. None have been flooded in over 40 years. If you live in the southeast quadrant, It would be recommended because you are near the rivers, the bay and the gulf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 05:57 PM
 
79 posts, read 31,242 times
Reputation: 96
Housing near the Belt Line is pushing $400 sq/ft. I've seen outliers asking near $600 sq/ft. With that, rental rates will rise as well. Because the Belt Line covers such a large area, this is going to affect all of Atlanta. Probably just the beginning of non-affordability except for the wealthiest among us. Only a matter of time. Unless there is some type of economic correction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 06:56 PM
 
2,244 posts, read 883,498 times
Reputation: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedude404 View Post
Housing near the Belt Line is pushing $400 sq/ft. I've seen outliers asking near $600 sq/ft. With that, rental rates will rise as well. Because the Belt Line covers such a large area, this is going to affect all of Atlanta. Probably just the beginning of non-affordability except for the wealthiest among us. Only a matter of time. Unless there is some type of economic correction.
It's like I stated before. They are pushing to put the lower and middle class into rentals and invest off of them.

It's happening all over the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2019, 10:03 PM
 
2,118 posts, read 1,860,255 times
Reputation: 2007
You can't get flood insurance unless the house is in the flood plain, and if the house is in the flood plain you must have flood insurance if you have a traditional mortgage. Flood plain maps are backed by math, so it makes sense if you think about it. Drainage or runoff isn't considered flooding though, and that's where a lot of people get caught. Drainage/runoff insurance is very expensive, so most people do not opt to get it.

I learned all of this when I built my personal house and it was classified as in the flood plain even though it wasn't. Once I proved it wasn't in the flood plain I couldn't get flood insurance. The craziest part was I paid the flood insurance for the first year while I was working it out, and if we would have had water enter the property the insurance would not have paid because technically we were not in the flood plain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2019, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Georgia
5,276 posts, read 4,317,487 times
Reputation: 3040
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
It's like I stated before. They are pushing to put the lower and middle class into rentals and invest off of them.

It's happening all over the country.
Yes they have. The middle class has been priced out of a lot of big cities. Suburbs have soaked up much of that growth here, but gentrification and a lack of affordable housing is hitting the city of Atlanta too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top