U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 03:39 PM

30,067 posts, read 27,603,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Scientist View Post
It's less than 100 corporate leaders. I don't think that makes up for Turner and Truist.
Who said it did?

It was simply said that it is welcome news in light of the departure of other companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 03:59 PM

922 posts, read 453,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Who said it did?

It was simply said that it is welcome news in light of the departure of other companies.
That's what I took from the op when reading it initially. It wasn't apparent to me the good news was just in name only. The OP has clarified.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:32 AM

2,118 posts, read 1,860,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Oh Sweet Baby Jesus!!! Talk about a weird business decision indeed.

As a native of Michigan (Detroit), I'd first slit my wrist before moving to bum**** nowhere that is Kalamazoo.

I'm sure there are very nice people who live there and it's a fine town that suits the needs of some individuals, but you're 2-3 hours away from major cities (Chicago and Detroit), you're in the lake effect snow belt (thus virtually 9 months out of the year is solid overcast skies), it's lacking in diversity (very black/white and poor/working class) and besides Stryker, there are no other major white collar employers there (it does have a somewhat large university, but that's about it).

It's hard enough for companies trying to keep/attract talent to Metro Detroit after the auto industry collapse, so I can about imagine the hell it's been attracting/keeping talent at this design center for Newell.
Don't hold back! Tell us how you really feel about Michigan!

It's not where I want to live, but Grand Rapids is in fire.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:16 AM

3,700 posts, read 1,259,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Don't hold back! Tell us how you really feel about Michigan!

It's not where I want to live, but Grand Rapids is in fire.
lol.

But my point still stands. Kalamazoo has very few redeeming qualities for upwardly- mobile, college-educated professionals and companies who want to attract/retain them. Even with Western Michigan University, the students quickly leave the state for Chicago or Minneapolis after graduation.

So I'm not surprised to hear that the move for Newel Brandsl to open a Design Center there has been a disaster. But it also shows the amazing amount of pull one person in a company can have when it comes to these decisions (assuming the story's true), even if it's to the detriment of the ultimate end goal of the organization.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:52 AM

5,343 posts, read 3,555,757 times
Quote:
lol.

But my point still stands. Kalamazoo has very few redeeming qualities for upwardly- mobile, college-educated professionals and companies who want to attract/retain them. Even with Western Michigan University, the students quickly leave the state for Chicago or Minneapolis after graduation.

So I'm not surprised to hear that the move for Newel Brandsl to open a Design Center there has been a disaster. But it also shows the amazing amount of pull one person in a company can have when it comes to these decisions (assuming the story's true), even if it's to the detriment of the ultimate end goal of the organization.
You're selling Kalamazoo way short, and aren't telling a true story while at it. Stryker is hardly the only major employer, Pfizer employs double what they do and at significantly higher wages. And the well traveled locals feel the same way about Detroit as you do about Kalamazoo. Chicago is their big city, Detroit is mostly an afterthought or a place to change planes to them. Ditto for Grand Rapids just up the road.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:33 AM

3,700 posts, read 1,259,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
You're selling Kalamazoo way short, and aren't telling a true story while at it. Stryker is hardly the only major employer, Pfizer employs double what they do and at significantly higher wages. And the well traveled locals feel the same way about Detroit as you do about Kalamazoo. Chicago is their big city, Detroit is mostly an afterthought or a place to change planes to them. Ditto for Grand Rapids just up the road.
I stand by what I said.

If I were to ever move back to Michigan, Detroit would be the only option (and it would be under certain circumstances). I only do major metro areas, and (for good reasons) so do most upwardly-mobile, college-educated professionals.

You're more than welcome to move to Grand Rapids or Kalanazoo if you like them. Although coming from Atlanta, just know you're going to be in for one hell of a culture shock in both.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:56 AM

Quote:
I stand by what I said.

If I were to ever move back to Michigan, Detroit would be the only option (and it would be under certain circumstances). I only do major metro areas, and (for good reasons) so do most upwardly-mobile, college-educated professionals.

You're more than welcome to move to Grand Rapids or Kalanazoo if you like them. Although coming from Atlanta, just know you're going to be in for one hell of a culture shock in both.
My husband is from there, that's why I'm familiar with Western Michigan. I have no desire to live there, but it's a nice area and I enjoy our visits. And you were flat out wrong stating that Stryker is the largest employer, Pfizer has more than double the employees, and at much higher salaries. They're also behind some significant improvements to Downtown. Your dismissiveness and false claims show you aren't really qualified to speak on the area.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:02 AM

29,476 posts, read 26,480,406 times
Kalamazoo is an impressive place. It doesn't seem crazy at all for a company to have its design division there.

Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM

473 posts, read 167,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
My husband is from there, that's why I'm familiar with Western Michigan. I have no desire to live there, but it's a nice area and I enjoy our visits. And you were flat out wrong stating that Stryker is the largest employer, Pfizer has more than double the employees, and at much higher salaries. They're also behind some significant improvements to Downtown. Your dismissiveness and false claims show you aren't really qualified to speak on the area.

This response feels way to personal. Lol.

Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
This response feels way to personal. Lol.
Whatever. False narratives need to be exposed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or