Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating to Los Angeles, seeking information how similar Atlanta is to Los Angeles, activities, restaurants, amusement parks, night life, social work employment opportunities

Old 04-15-2008, 10:11 PM

13 posts, read 29,060 times

Advertisements

How similiar is Atl to L.A.? (activites, restaurants amusement parks, night life, the arts etc...) As a single parent I really want to make some good connections as it relates to people and places. I don't want to be in a situation where there nothing for us to do except work and school.

I plan to visit next month to check things out.

Also, I've been looking like crazy for youth and family driven social work programs to apply for as a therapist or supervisor. Does anyone know of any programs in ATL

Thanks in advance for the feedback. I've learn so much re: Atlanta by reading the threadsin this forum. Everyone has been so insightful and helpful. I hope this is indicative of how how the majority of Atl people are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 10:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,763,487 times
Well, Atlanta has the nickname, "The L.A. of the East", but it's mainly in reference to the fact the city sprawls out in all directions, has incredibly bad traffic congestion, and smog days in the summer. So not exactly a compliment to L.A. LOL. Like L.A., the public transit system isn't really that great or extensive, but unlike L.A. which is expanding theirs, Atlanta's (MARTA) is in a stalled-out mode right now and not doing much. You'll still definately need a car here.

In other ways it's very different, and you'll either love it or hate it as a result. Atlanta visibily shows it's religious roots in public much more - it's overall a conservative area as opposed to L.A.'s liberal attitude. No ocean of course (well, it's 4.5+ hours away), no Hollywood, no Chinatown type of area intown, etc. So many would say it lacks a bit of touristy type stuff and culture (depending on the way you define culture).

In terms of people, while Atlanta does have folks from every corner of the world moving here now, you don't see as much public mixing as you do in L.A., unless you're in the Aquarium/CNN/Park area (below). Otherwise, it's a "black or white" city generally, with pockets of Asian/Hispanic, etc., areas that are scattered in the city and even some suburbs, but those typically do not have as well defined areas as you see in some other cities.

All isn't lost, though. Around 1.5 hours to the North you have some small quaint mountain towns to visit (Dahlonega/Helen). Downtown you of course have the Georgia Aquarium and Olympic Park. Grant Park has the Atlanta Zoo. Midtown offers Piedmont Park and the Botanical Gardens. West of the city is Six Flags, but in recent years a lot of kids are saying it's gone downhill quite a bit, and there have been a couple of incidents of gang activity there, so I can't really comment on it being a great spot these days - maybe others will disagree. There is a large water park NW in Cobb County (suburbs) as well. To the East is Stone Mountain Park - a large granite mountain with a variety of attractions in it.

The city like most larger cities has a variety of individually owned restaurants of different types. Once you get outside I-285 (the beltway that surrounds the city known as "The Perimeter"), you'll start to see much more of the cookie-cutter national chain type places instead.

Unlike L.A., Atlanta really isn't a "tourist town". It's more of a business city like Houston (conventions, etc) than it is L.A. in that regard. Not a lot of people come here on vacation or to site see. If you try to directly compare it to the cultural side of L.A. you'll most likely come away quite disappointed, but if you take it as it is (especially when compared to the entire Southeastern region that it's in), then it's not THAT bad, though the traffic and crime does wear some of us down mentally a good bit to be honest.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:16 PM

401 posts, read 2,598,048 times
Ive seen a few other people ask this question on other cities boards (ex. San Antonio, Houston, now Atlanta) and each time I think the same thing. Los Angeles is un-like any other city in America. Its unique, its different, it has its own image and culture. Youre not going to find another city in America that is very similiar to LA. That just my two cents...

Old 04-16-2008, 03:25 AM

168 posts, read 558,380 times
atlantagreg nailed it on Atlanta following all of the wrong infrastructure moves of LA. That's where the similarities end. (I only wish that Atlantans would read the LATimes articles about affluent westside neighborhoods finally screaming "uncle" and embracing mass transit since they can barely move.)

Aside from the huge difference in the predominant culture, (Atlanta's southern family focus mixed with young, progressive change advocates, versus LA's youth, appearance and celebrity obsession), the difference is size and the consequences of that.

LA has something like a 5x multiple of whatever attractions Atlanta has one or two of. Museums. Theme parks. Concert venues. Restaurants (30x multiple). If you're young, childless and love the fact that you can never do all of LA, stay away. Once you work through the scene in ATL, you'll feel like you've been there and done that. If LA is a bit much for you, Atlanta might work out fine.

If you're married and have rugrats, Atlanta wins hands down. No contest. LA is not family oriented culturally, has random gang crime the likes of which Atlantans cannot imagine (not one but two homicides this year at Forest Lawn Cemetary--yes, I said it, a cemetary!), and has horrible traffic on the weekends which make family outings stressful at best.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:49 AM

13 posts, read 29,060 times
Thank u all, This has given me a bit more insight. I love living in LA but I need a change due to a long term relationship ending and it's just best for me to put some serious distance btw us.

I've heard good things Atl re: it being up and coming. I'm looking to have some excitement , as well as have a family oriented vibe for my 8 year old. I I'm not a party goer, but I'm not a rural type person either. I like having my fav restaurants local and my Target and Macys only a few minuts away.

I've also heard that there are a lot of good men in Atl that are goal oriented and suceessful.

I'm a young educated woman and would like to be in a place where I can meet similiar people... male and females

Old 04-16-2008, 10:59 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,763,487 times
Well, give it a try. Maybe this summer when your child is on summer break you can swing a 2 week trip out here and pay the city a visit? If you can afford it, some apartment complexes even have fully furnished "corporate" apartment units you can rent for just a month. Stay a month and check out the city and what it has to offer. You'll only really know how it feels to you by being here a decent amount of time first.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:02 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,326,543 times
I think AtlantaGreg did a good job of summing up the similarities between the ATL and LA. One thing he failed to mention though, and it is one of the biggest advantages Atlanta has over Los Angeles, is how much more affordable it is to buy a house in Atlanta. A $300k house in the Atlanta area can easily run you $900k for the same house in a similar neighborhood in Los Angeles. Furthermore, in Los Angeles you simply CANNOT find single family homes that cost under $200k, but in the Atlanta area (especially the outer suburbs) there are tens of thousands of houses that can be had at this price point. If being able to buy a single family home is important to you, it is MUCH easier to do in Atlanta than anywere on the entire West Coast.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:13 PM

847 posts, read 1,449,804 times
I was born and raised in the Los Angeles area and have been in the Atlanta area for nearly a decade. Aside from traffic, spawl, and congestion, L.A. and ATL are like night and day. There is more to do in Los Angeles overall. Conversely, in Atlanta you actually tend to have more money to actually do things.

Salaries here tend to be lower, but the cost of living is lower as well. The downside is that as the cost of living goes up salaries still tend to stay the same. All in all, it is still more affordable in Georgia at the end of the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta